Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2011 3:44:44 PM EDT
I'm thinking about posting a fake SHTF scenario thread and updating it hourly to help others assess their level of preparedness in such a situation. I think it would be a fun thought process for many of us here and would help us find gaps or bring up interesting questions about where we stand. Would anyone be interested in participating? Basically the thread would start out with an event and be updated as it would progress in real time. Would others be interested in helping start threads like these? Either way I think it would be fun.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Not quite ready...can we put it off a month or 2?

But really, that could be a good way of thinking outside of what I(we)have prepped for.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.  I am not quite ready yet myself other than the pointy sticks I own instead of guns.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's a good idea, but...there are any number of possibilities and frankly you can't prepare for them all.
Attempting to do so is madness.
So, maybe throw in a "did you survive" poll or something.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think it's a good idea, but...there are any number of possibilities and frankly you can't prepare for them all.
Attempting to do so is madness.
So, maybe throw in a "did you survive" poll or something.

I like the did you survive poll option
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know.......remember "War of the Worlds"?  
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Go for it
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]

No problem with you doing this as an intellectual exercise.  But don't be shocked if I don't participate.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Problem is if you had ever been in a true SHTF event as some of us have (Katrina, Tornado Outbreak 2011) then you would not have an internet audience to play with......So while it's a noble attempt to play hard times it is also foolish and unrealistic..........Believe me when in the middle of the SHTF scenario you will have little to no current info as those in the rest of the country unaffected will know more about it than you will.....Hell I'm still finding out about shit from Katrina and the April 27th 2011 tornado outbreak that I had no idea even went down.................good luck and this is just one crazy man's opinion............Oh and while you think it would be fun,  SHTF is not fun brother
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
TSHTF Scenarios are crazy.  Only right wing wacko extremists would stockpile everything.   I for one will be following the heard to go loot big screen TV's and blue ray players.......  
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about posting a fake SHTF scenario thread and updating it hourly to help others assess their level of preparedness in such a situation. I think it would be a fun thought process for many of us here and would help us find gaps or bring up interesting questions about where we stand. Would anyone be interested in participating? Basically the thread would start out with an event and be updated as it would progress in real time. Would others be interested in helping start threads like these? Either way I think it would be fun.

Sure, post it up. It seems some people who replied don't understand the concept though. It's an interactive medium to share ideas. Similar to this forum as a whole.

The updates aren't news updates. They'd be updates that you'd obviously be aware in real life. Things like your neighbors, local weather, status of your supplies etc

OP, maybe create a character and give a very general list of his supplies, assets and skillset. That way it's a more realistic avenue to share ideas of what we'd do in his shoes. It'd also keep out replies such as "I'd just go to my fully-stocked missle silo and ride it out" which contribute nothing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I posted this on a different forum......Its interesting to read reactions...

"So let's say you wake up on a Tuesday morning a bit late for work...and you don't have time to catch the news.

You go on into work....and on the way there you notice that even though it's around 7am...the bank parking lots are filling up and you see folks clogging the ATMs.

You decide to stop at the gas station due to the fact that you have broke your own rule and have let your daily driver get below 1/2 tank....heck...just under 3/8th full. you get ready to pull in to your usual filling station and realize there is a line that goes into the road.

You find this highly odd so you cut on the news radio station and all you hear is a EBS PSA stating that "there is no reason to panic....remain calm....and return to your homes for further instruction"...this is running on all stations.

You call home or to a friends cell....and their is a recording that "all lines are full....please wait for xxxx minutes to try again"

You finally make it to work and there is so many rumors floating around that is impossible to make heads or tails of whats going on.....the TV is broadcasting the same message you heard on the radio.

You begin to make your way home and begin seeing lots of National Guard convoys rolling...and cops everywhere.

What news you are getting comes from a couple AM radio stations that have heard that the president is still at the white house....and there was no sign of a terrorist attack.

The big rumor is that the Fed has stopped the presses on a demand from China.....the Sec of the Treasury has put a halt on cashing of all bonds, the president has put a halt (via executive order) on the cashing in of 401Ks, and the foreign gold markets just hit the ceiling at about $3500.00 per oz.

What do you do from that point? "

ETA:.....do it....I like the insights.....
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd grab my wife from work and head home. I'd stay tuned into the radio (knowing that what is being broadcasted may not be anything close to the truth.)

From there I wait it out and see what happens. Doors/windows locked, firearms at hand and keeping an eye out for looters and any threats to us or my home.

If things get even worse and staying in my home is no longer an option, I would use my stored gasoline that I rotate and fill up my BOV. Load it with my gear, firearms, ammo , food and water and head to my alternate location.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have any ideas for a possible thread? i was thinking of maybe a biological attack against all of the major food producing plants in the u.s., or some reason for martial law to be declared.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I would turn around and NOT go to work. DUH! I could give a rip about showing up. Stop and ask the peeps @ the bank, gas station, wally world etc.....I would do some recon that night around local places that may stay open 24hrs etc......
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would turn around and NOT go to work. DUH! I could give a rip about showing up. Stop and ask the peeps @ the bank, gas station, wally world etc.....I would do some recon that night around local places that may stay open 24hrs etc......

My work is a secondary base of operations.....I'd be there loading a trailer and the service truck with supplies....I'm the boss.....
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone have any ideas for a possible thread? i was thinking of maybe a biological attack against all of the major food producing plants in the u.s., or some reason for martial law to be declared.

economical downfall of the country......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8gJSMoOJc
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Nothing sudden is likely to happen.

Most probable senario is a continuation of what we are presenty seeing for several more years with modest 'emergencies' here and there, incl some economic ones.

A gradual fall in living standards, rising retail prices while the retailers can demand it, before prices fall with deflation and shortages.

The freak show we call the Sheeple slowly being broken and neutered while being 'fed' 'circuses' to keep them distracted and occupied with worthless pursuits.

Basically what's happening right now.

Actually, we are happily doing all this to ourselves en mass.

This is the 'Engineered Destruction of the Middle Class' playing out and when we finally collapse we can expect a VERY sophisticated transition of our way of governance to something different most of us probably won't like too much.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"So let's say you wake up on a Tuesday morning a bit late for work...and you don't have time to catch the news.

You go on into work....and on the way there you notice that even though it's around 7am...the bank parking lots are filling up and you see folks clogging the ATMs.

You decide to stop at the gas station due to the fact that you have broke your own rule and have let your daily driver get below 1/2 tank....heck...just under 3/8th full. you get ready to pull in to your usual filling station and realize there is a line that goes into the road.

You find this highly odd so you cut on the news radio station and all you hear is a EBS PSA stating that "there is no reason to panic....remain calm....and return to your homes for further instruction"...this is running on all stations.

You call home or to a friends cell....and their is a recording that "all lines are full....please wait for xxxx minutes to try again"

You finally make it to work and there is so many rumors floating around that is impossible to make heads or tails of whats going on.....the TV is broadcasting the same message you heard on the radio.

You begin to make your way home and begin seeing lots of National Guard convoys rolling...and cops everywhere.

What news you are getting comes from a couple AM radio stations that have heard that the president is still at the white house....and there was no sign of a terrorist attack.

The big rumor is that the Fed has stopped the presses on a demand from China.....the Sec of the Treasury has put a halt on cashing of all bonds, the president has put a halt (via executive order) on the cashing in of 401Ks, and the foreign gold markets just hit the ceiling at about $3500.00 per oz.

Damn, that's a very interesting scenario.  I know one thing is for sure, before heading in, I put out sector stakes before heading inside.    There is a great degree of thought here for this one.  I would definitely round everyone up and go home.  Time to put into action our plans for TSHTF.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Greek debt crisis, turns into a Greek tragedy and everyone dies.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Grab a buddy, then take the next hour for a BX/Commissary/ATM shopping trip.  If that works, I should be good on supplies for at least 2-3 weeks.  If not, I've got a few days worth.  
As far as finances.  I've got some cash and PMs.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd be screwed right along with most of the lemmings that live around me...

However, I have been waking up and an starting to plan and take action on preparing for anything that might happen...

To be honest its a bit overwhelming...

The list can get so long...  Then comes a 1st few questions...

How much do I really need??? (Family of 3 adults, extended family of 6 Adults 2 kids....)

How do I afford it all this stuff???

Where do I put it???

Those last  two questions are really rhetorical...  

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd be screwed right along with most of the lemmings that live around me...

However, I have been waking up and an starting to plan and take action on preparing for anything that might happen...

To be honest its a bit overwhelming...

The list can get so long...  Then comes a 1st few questions...

How much do I really need??? (Family of 3 adults, extended family of 6 Adults 2 kids....)

How do I afford it all this stuff???

Where do I put it???

Those last  two questions are really rhetorical...  

Might want to kick it up a notch....you got some catching up to do....
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Great scenario, I would wait in line to gas up first and try to reach the wife who has been at work for a few hours. Then hit the grocery for the perishables I don't have on hand.

I would carry concealed but I usually do anyway and just try to find out as much as I can.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sounds kinda like after katrina except the banks didnt have power.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I say post the scenario.  I always seem to discover gaps in my preps when I read what others have to say regarding what they would do or what they would buy in the early stages of a crisis.  I find that I can get some good info from threads like these.

On a slightly related note, I seem to be more motivated to prep based upon the various pieces of fiction I read vs. the slow retrograde of the American way of life that we see happening before us.  Perhaps I am in denial and refuse to see what is plainly before my eyes.

Echo2 - great scenario.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#26]
it would be hard for something to happen that would affect all of us at the same time.  i dont see anything that could be a national event.

now back to watching my dancing with the american idol stars bachelorette survivor show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top