Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2013 8:37:34 AM EDT
Easily modified for more efficiency.

Thermal siphon good ideas ->   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IRLVCJ1olA#t=281

eta: let me know if the hotlink doesn't work correctly... k?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I've thought about this myself. I heard Spirko answering a question about using a rocket mass heater to heat hot water. He warned against putting the coil inside the refractory chamber as it gets upwards of 3000 degrees*. Water hitting that high a temperature would flash into superheated steam. That would result in a catastrophic failure (explosion).
Having been in  Navy, I've had  experience with steam. I wouldn't build anything of the sort unless I was absolutely certain it couldn't generate steam in any way.
I think putting  coil further downstream, after the refractory section, would be safe enough if you didn't run the stove too long.

*  unsure of the exact temperature he quoted, but was high enough to superheat steam.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top