Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/3/2018 8:35:05 PM EDT
Any chance we could get a separate forum for rock climbing/mountaineering/canyoneering? Some of us want to go head to head with Darwin...
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:49:51 PM EDT
Maybe just "climbing"?
But at any rate, I'd be in on that, even tho I'm too old & too busted up to climb anymore.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:11:54 PM EDT
The outdoor forum is low volume enough where you can probably post as much climbing threads as you want without much complaint from everyone else.

On that note, I finally lead my first outdoor 5.10c today. I take a freaking 4 grade hit climbing indoors vs out...
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:14:28 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:
Maybe just "climbing"?
But at any rate, I'd be in on that, even tho I'm too old & too busted up to climb anymore.
View Quote
And Fred Beckey wasn't?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:21:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NightHawkIX:
The outdoor forum is low volume enough where you can probably post as much climbing threads as you want without much complaint from everyone else.

On that note, I finally lead my first outdoor 5.10c today. I take a freaking 4 grade hit climbing indoors vs out...
View Quote
"5.10 off the couch" was the motto for me and my long time climbing partner.

The idea being that we just had to be solid at 5.10, rock solid, and we could get up anything in the world, albeit by aid if it was harder than 5.10. And it was mostly true. Mostly.

Ok, and I've got to ask, if you are taking a 4 grade hit outdoors, just how hard are you climbing indoors?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:47:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By L_JE:

The idea being that we just had to be solid at 5.10, rock solid, and we could get up anything in the world, albeit by aid if it was harder than 5.10. And it was mostly true. Mostly.

Ok, and I've got to ask, if you are taking a 4 grade hit outdoors, just how hard are you climbing indoors?
View Quote
Ok, maybe not an entirely fair comparison- I'm a fledgling 5.11b climber on top rope indoors.
5.10c lead inside with the ability to send routes. Apparently a 5.10c hangdog outdoor.

My major issue is dynamic moves outdoors- I'm happy to make large moves inside when the next hold is bright pink and labelled. But outside, when I'm not sure what the next hold is, or how good it is, I'm much more hesitant to commit to the big move; especially during lead.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:49:50 PM EDT
It's usefulness would fall off quickly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:13:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
It's usefulness would fall off quickly.
View Quote
Oh, you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:23:46 PM EDT
Ok, maybe not an entirely fair comparison- I'm a fledgling 5.11b climber on top rope indoors.
5.10c lead inside with the ability to send routes. Apparently a 5.10c hangdog outdoor.

My major issue is dynamic moves outdoors- I'm happy to make large moves inside when the next hold is bright pink and labelled. But outside, when I'm not sure what the next hold is, or how good it is, I'm much more hesitant to commit to the big move; especially during lead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Dude, 5.11b indoors is … hard.

Let me bring you over to the dark side of outdoor climbing. Finger locks, hand jams, that's where it's at. I'm talking jams so solid that if your other hand and both feet skate, you're still hanging there without falling, and rather comfortably.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:57:48 AM EDT

Dude, 5.11b indoors is hard.

Let me bring you over to the dark side of outdoor climbing. Finger locks, hand jams, that's where it's at. I'm talking jams so solid that if your other hand and both feet skate, you're still hanging there without falling, and rather comfortably.
View Quote
Yep. I'm starting to really like crack climbs- nothing like a good layback to take a break. Slabs. Slabs are the devil.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 5:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/8/2018 5:16:42 PM EDT by vim]
Yep. I'm starting to really like crack climbs- nothing like a good layback to take a break. Slabs. Slabs are the devil.
View Quote
Satan's Slab 5.8R, Boulder, CO

http://www.13ergirl.com/SatansSlab/
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:09:32 PM EDT
Mixed ice climbing is the true dark side....
Top Top