Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 12:45:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 1:02:45 PM EST by batmanacw]
I just picked up a River Rock Nitefire 2C LED Flashlight from Target. It was really a no brainer since it was on clearance for $13.74 +tax.

Everyone knows about my little addiction problem! I heard good things about this light and wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

This light has the smoothest transition from spot to flood that I have ever seen in a cheap light. The tint of the beam is slightly blueish, but warmer than I expected. The spill is quite impressive for a light of this price range. They claim 136 peak lumens. Its probably not that much, but it is a Cree emitter.

The C cells are a weak link. I have adapters that will allow me to run AA batteries in place of the C if I need to go into rechargeables.

The body is pretty heavy duty on this light. It would probably not survive club use, but it could be used for that temporarily. The threads are anodized so they will hold up a while.

If you guys can pick up one of these lights for under $14 and you need a decent utility light, I would go for it. Not much money for that kind of light quality. I am happy to say that I am impressed.

Candlepower forums review of this light
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:16:41 AM EST
stop it!

I dont need any more lights

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:35:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By _Matt_:
stop it!

I dont need any more lights

sorry.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:02:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By batmanacw:
The C cells are a weak link. I have adapters that will allow me to run AA batteries in place of the C if I need to go into rechargeables.

C cells can have advantages too, depending on the situation. I've seen more than a few posts about batteries getting wiped out when a storm is coming, or other disaster strikes... but 'C' cells are often the last to go. Not as many people have lights that use them as D, AA, and AAA...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:04:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 3:47:20 AM EST by Timberwolf_71]
Yeah, I picked one up at Target specifically because it took C batteries. That way I have lights that work on all battery types just in case. The light in the link you posted has way more throw than mine does and mine has a really horrible bluish-purple tint to it. Now it just sits in a box in the basement with the batteries.

ETA- for $14 bucks they're not a bad deal just to have around. For the $27-$28 I paid for it I'm less than impressed. I might swing by one today and pick one up for 14 just to see if it is different from the one I have.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:05:00 AM EST
Hmm, looks like an interesting light thanks for the heads up Batmanacw. I've been on an alkaline kick lately, so I'll have to pick one of these up for an around the house light.
Top Top