Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 6:54:26 PM EDT
While doing work on the property clearing tractoring etc or other wise outdooring I have found my sharpened up german military shovel and a  plain old  hammer to be almost indispensable. The shovel is kinda like that cold steel one but actual surplus I would keep an edge so sharp i could cut veggies up with it got some laughs around the camp fire. Hammer is good for the beating the implements on and off, mending fences and of course hammering. I recently saw a  riggers axe,a  hatchet with hammer head on the end and thought this has got to be to greatest invention of all time looks like it can replace all kinds of tools other than using the shovel for a kayak paddle which i did once...    Any suggestions on brands estwing seems to be the leading choice with an all steel handle. The Riggers axes seem to have a longer handle than the carpenters hatchets.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I've carried one for years(Estwing); the edge isn't as easy to sharpen (if you let it get away)
as other dedicated hand axes, but I still like it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry one when I'm framing (county is to redneck for OSHA to bother us). The Estwing isn't bad but if you use the nail puller it's easy to bend the neck of it. I've bent my Estwing several times now, enough that I'm about to retire it as I worry about forming a stress crack. The steel is soft for an axe so it sharpens up super easy but as the above poster said it's easy to let the edge go to crap with much use.

Vaughan makes a fiberglass handled version that should be pretty decent, I've not used it but I like the wood handle rig axe that they make. My only complaint about rig axes is that nobody makes one with the nail set groove that most popular hammers come with now days.

As to handles a rig axe is going to have an 18" handle while a carpenters axe will have a 14 or 16" handle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top