Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2008 7:57:57 AM EDT
Anyone know where I can get Rice Seed? I want to try to grow rice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Google it. I am thinking about "helping" some wild rice grow by the family cabin up north (natural habitat for it, no invasive species fretting necessary) and found a few sources of wild rice seed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You do realize that you have to plant rice seed in a flooded paddy?  And keep it flooded for most of the growing season?  They grow rice around where I live.  Rice paddies are nasty places.  All kinds of undesirables living in them.  

Here is a link explaining how to grow rice.Rice

Link Posted: 5/29/2008 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You do realize that you have to plant rice seed in a flooded paddy?  And keep it flooded for most of the growing season?  They grow rice around where I live.  Rice paddies are nasty places.  All kinds of undesirables living in them.  

Here is a link explaining how to grow rice.Rice

OP is in Florida (most of what I've seen looks like they built the houses in middle of paddies ) I'd guess he's looking for a way to capitalize on some natural "paddies". I've got a lot of very low land out back, and my initial explorations on wild rice was to try to figure out if I could cultivate some. It turns out that wild rice does not like stagnant water, but wild rice isn't actually a rice, either.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked some up the last time I was up north.  It looks more like oversized grass seed than anything.  I live in a rice producing area too.  I can tell you for the most part, you don't want a rice paddy on your property for 4 months.  If you drive by a rice paddy at night, it sounds like it is raining.  It's mosquitos hitting the windshield.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you drive by a rice paddy at night, it sounds like it is raining.  It's mosquitos hitting the windshield.  

I hate mosquitos. Yes, I live in MN, but I still hate mosquitos. I suppose a guy could float some of those bioactive biscuit thingies that kill the larvae. But yeah, skeeters suck.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the big costs with growing rice is the cost of water.  If you have access to water by the acre foot, you might be ok.  A lot of the places around here have canals that border the fields.  To flood your field, you just dig a trench through the dike and install a valve and then open it.  

You need to have a field/garden that won't "leak" your water back into the ground.  That means under the topsoil (mud) you need a good clay base.

You hate mosquitos huh?  You have those goddamn biting flies up there.  I have been a victim of them before.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One of the big costs with growing rice is the cost of water.  If you have access to water by the acre foot, you might be ok.  A lot of the places around here have canals that border the fields.  To flood your field, you just dig a trench through the dike and install a valve and then open it.  

You need to have a field/garden that won't "leak" your water back into the ground.  That means under the topsoil (mud) you need a good clay base.

You hate mosquitos huh?  You have those goddamn biting flies up there.  I have been a victim of them before.  

The mosquito is the MN state bird. The biting flies are patchy. You'll go to some spots and there will be tons of them, other spots there are none. Not sure what makes them a yea or nay proposition. But for every biting fly, we have about a million mosquitos. We actually have government agencies dedicated to mosquito control in the metro. They have helicopters and everything.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Your replies have been somewhat helpful... Though, I have done nutty crazy searches online to no avail... Thus far anyway....
Good info received though... Thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for the bug hijack...

Prelim search turned up a reference to "Orygen" as a supplier for rice farmers, then further investigation yielded orygen.net, with an authorized retailers for HorizonAg/Clearfield seeds page.

www.orygen.net/retailer_01.htm
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#10]
You know, they seed these fields by plane.  I can put you in touch with M&M air service to seed your garden.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks! Ill check into that on friday..... However, I do like what the link above your says, and I will be trying that method as well....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top