Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/16/2009 12:14:55 PM EST
I love earth friendly survivalist sites. They really spend a lot of time talking about eco farming and back to earth living. Sometimes you get a great video like this one.

Click

Damn clever idea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:23:21 PM EST
Pretty cool low cost sky light, makes a lot of sense for poor areas where actual glass would be too expensive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:47:17 PM EST
Poor man's light pipes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:49:47 PM EST
Slick for sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:52:37 PM EST
tfl
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:44:10 PM EST
Good idea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:25:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 4:27:26 PM EST by stormwalker]
now, if he could just solve the leaking roof.

i say BS that the roof doesn't leak.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:57:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By stormwalker:

I agree

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:12:03 PM EST
Wow. Pretty ingenious.

My parents put solatube in their house.

This is a much cheaper version of the same idea.

To avoid leaking, I think I would stick with solatube.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:57:56 PM EST
In the wooden ship days they had glass prisms set in the decks of the ship. they kinda looked like a cut diamond shape. they reflected the light down below decks and were sealed into the deck with pitch tar.

Modern version http://www.sailboatstuff.com/cb_fixport.html?gclid=CMvAxPL695wCFSFRagodkFiFaw

Old version http://www.deckprisms.com/
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:57:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By fortunesfool223:

Originally Posted By stormwalker:

I agree

I'm sure epoxy resin is available there too...I cant imagine it would be that hard to seal up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:59:23 AM EST
Neat idea.

I wonder if the bottles could have enough salt added to them that they don't freeze in winter.

They would probably work pretty well on the wall of a shed or something if you don't want to risk getting much in the way of roof leaks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:53:50 AM EST
Is the video saying they continue to provide light after the sun goes down?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:14:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By ehunter30:
In the wooden ship days they had glass prisms set in the decks of the ship. they kinda looked like a cut diamond shape. they reflected the light down below decks and were sealed into the deck with pitch tar.

Modern version http://www.sailboatstuff.com/cb_fixport.html?gclid=CMvAxPL695wCFSFRagodkFiFaw

Old version http://www.deckprisms.com/
I bet that would work great for an enclosed utility trailer too!

http://www.sailboatstuff.com/cb_fixport.html?gclid=CMvAxPL695wCFSFRagodkFiFaw

A little expensive but should be solid and you could seal it well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:31:17 AM EST
Pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:15:47 AM EST
lets see. In the day time, there is sunlight, so just open your blinds.

To use this device, you have to have a roof made out of sheet metal, with nothing else. Great idea for a third world tropical country. Useless in a cold climate.

At night, there is no sunlight, so the darn things won't be of any use at all when you need the most.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:32:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 11:32:44 AM EST by Mach]
Just cut a hole in the roof.

It will leak the same
provide more airflow
not require a coke bottle or water
and still won't let light in at night.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:09:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mach:
Just cut a hole in the roof.

It will leak the same
provide more airflow
not require a coke bottle or water
and still won't let light in at night.

Yeah....thats it.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:16:15 PM EST
My guess is they are a visual person. They would need to sit in a dark box with the hole and then use something like this to understand how defused light is different then a simple hole in the wall.

I could see the principle useful in several places although in my climate I think a solid prism would be a better choice. Lighting inside a cargo container, an enclosed utility trailer, and I am sure other places too.

I bet the principle could be used on larger scale projects like "Wal-marts" where they use the big opaque skylights too but obviously that is a much larger scale implementation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:44:35 PM EST
Looks good for a small shop with no large amount of insulation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:52:16 PM EST
Why all the hate for a cheap solution? Is it because it came from the third world? Hells Bells it is SHTF there every day ask Ferfal 308.

OK it won't work in Alaska. It might work in Ohio with saltwater though. Just one more idea for rebuilding after TEOTWAKI that would be nice for the light but not big enough for someone to get into your house with as a window would.

All weather option Sailboat Prism 159Cad. Free is way cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:53:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By Quarterbore:
My guess is they are a visual person. They would need to sit in a dark box with the hole and then use something like this to understand how defused light is different then a simple hole in the wall.

I could see the principle useful in several places although in my climate I think a solid prism would be a better choice. Lighting inside a cargo container, an enclosed utility trailer, and I am sure other places too.

I bet the principle could be used on larger scale projects like "Wal-marts" where they use the big opaque skylights too but obviously that is a much larger scale implementation.

I can see it being amazingly useful. I live in Nebraska and I can think of quite a few uses for it outside of the fact freezing it may ruin it. But anyplace you dont normally go at night (Say a detached shed or garage) would be perfect for this. Also, its alarming to me we've had dozens of pages on how to provide electricity when the grid is down and anyone here would dismiss providing light without electricity. It just seems....wow.....

To each their own I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:33:53 PM EST
Neato.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:43:46 PM EST
clever

Top Top