Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 5:07:19 PM EDT
Means what it says, I'm on blood thinners which means anything below 50 makes me miserable, the hands especially

I figure something Hands,Feet,Head, & Neck would do the trick. The jacket & pants are covered.
What say Ye?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Start here.  the link is to the gloves, look under products for headwear, balaclavas etc.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/browse/Handwear/Ascent.html

I too am on thinners, and as you can see I'm in Alaska.  I've been using OR for a long time and haven't been disappointed.

This isn't bargin basement equipment, it's quality and it's worth the price imho.

YMMV

ETA, Oops forgot the link,

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Means what it says, I'm on blood thinners which means anything below 50 makes me miserable, the hands especially

I figure something Hands,Feet,Head, & Neck would do the trick. The jacket & pants are covered.
What say Ye?

Kinda need more information. Apparel that you would be comfortable wearing when the ambient outdoor temperature is 30-50F above 0F wouldn't cut it when the ambient outdoor temperature is 0-30F or below 0F. Also, wind chill, rain, snow, etc. needs to be factored in (e.g. hooded gear vs no hood, waterproof/resistant vs non waterproof/resistant, etc.). I have numerous combinations of apparel items I wear as the conditions change here in MN. Heck I even have two different kinds of snow boots depending on what I will be doing outside in the snow.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
My hands are always cold in the winter.  Last year I went looking for the absolute warmest pair of mittens I could find.  I settled on Grandoe Himalayan mittens.  Sierra trading post has them for like $70 after discounts.  Like most things, they have a removable liner so you have three options for different levels of warmth.

If your hands get cold wearing these, I think you have a problem.

As for boots, Sorel pac boots are supposed to be the cat's meow.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't help you as my hands/feet are always cold.  After spending a day in the ice, my hands are white and my toes are blue...and that's with warm clothing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Gaiters are one of the best items, balaclava is excellent as well, GoreTex bibs really keep you warm, and a layering system that helps you manage moisture and regulate temperature, depending on the weather and your exertion level. (Capilene, stretch fleece, Polar fleece, down, Gore Tex, & soft shell). Use the stuff mountaineers wear, like The North Face and Mountain Hardware.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Minnesota.  Get some Underarmor underwear.  Tops and bottoms.  It's like a second skin to me at temps below 50 degrees.  Get two pairs and you will be GTG when the others are in the wash.  That will help you out a lot.  Good luck, brother!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the underarmor. I wore my base layer 3.0s tonight and stayed warm in all the wind.  REI's version of smartwool socks are fantastic. They also make good "undergloves" tight fitting thin wool gloves that you can easily use under a more traditional glove for added warmth.  Those gloves + my thinsulate lined wool gloves (fingerless with the mitten flap) are great for deer hunting (subzero temps). I have a mountain hardware fleece hat (tight fitting) with windstopper inside that is very warm. Otherwise a good baclava works. I have a pair of cabela's boots with 1200 grams of thinsulate that I bought on sale for $70 that are very warm with the aforementioned socks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
This is NJ so the Winters are hit or miss with snow fall & foul weather, the average temp here in the winter is 20 with wind picking up on occasion.
I'm blessed to live in an area surrounded with old growth Oaks, this cuts  down on the wind chill.

My hands turn white after fishing & having my hands wet, & that's in July.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gaiters are one of the best items, balaclava is excellent as well, GoreTex bibs really keep you warm, and a layering system that helps you manage moisture and regulate temperature, depending on the weather and your exertion level. (Capilene, stretch fleece, Polar fleece, down, Gore Tex, & soft shell). Use the stuff mountaineers wear, like The North Face and Mountain Hardware.

I have a few of those, but I always feel like a bank robber when I am wearing them. If I am doing outdoor activities in the cold (going to the range, shoveling snow, etc.) I will wear one, but if I am just going to work (I work in a downtown metropolis in a government building that has courts so security is fairly high) then I prefer to wear a watch cap and shemagh. Yeah, yeah I know, shemags are stupid trendy things that posers wear, but I will tell you they are really functional and good for cold weather as a garment to keep your neck and face warm while still allowing for breathability. I don't wear mine wrapped around my head like a Muslim/terrorist, instead I use it more like a simple scarf around my neck. Why they are really functional in this capacity is because their large size allows you to easily pull it up over your face (so now you look like a old western stage coach bandit instead of a bank robber) for protection from the elements and then easily pull it back down around your neck if you enter a building. Shemags make the best winter scarfs (IMO) because it is damn hard to find men's scarfs that are as large (most men's scarfs tend to be thin and long and are meant to be wrapped around your neck multiple times) or as cheap.

Just my $0.02 cents.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a few of those, but I always feel like a bank robber when I am wearing them. If I am doing outdoor activities in the cold (going to the range, shoveling snow, etc.) I will wear one, but if I am just going to work (I work in a downtown metropolis in a government building that has courts so security is fairly high) then I prefer to wear a watch cap and shemagh. Yeah, yeah I know, shemags are stupid trendy things that posers wear, but I will tell you they are really functional and good for cold weather as a garment to keep your neck and face warm while still allowing for breathability. I don't wear mine wrapped around my head like a Muslim/terrorist, instead I use it more like a simple scarf around my neck. Why they are really functional in this capacity is because their large size allows you to easily pull it up over your face (so now you look like a old western stage coach bandit instead of a bank robber) for protection from the elements and then easily pull it back down around your neck if you enter a building. Shemags make the best winter scarfs (IMO) because it is damn hard to find men's scarfs that are as large (most men's scarfs tend to be thin and long and are meant to be wrapped around your neck multiple times) or as cheap.

Just my $0.02 cents.

Guilty, I own 2 shemaghs my cousin gave me after his tour to Asscrakistan, had to dye them black, it just didn't feel right not being a veteran & wearing them.
They are great for riding in the cooler weather & I've used them on a few occasion when hunting & fishing, of course you get the look from the FUDD guys.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
then I prefer to wear a watch cap and shemagh. Yeah, yeah I know, shemags are stupid trendy things that posers wear,

You're not a poser if you're using it right. Now, if you were wearing it indoors with just a tshirt....

I don't own one, but I am considering picking one up for snowboarding season.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
then I prefer to wear a watch cap and shemagh. Yeah, yeah I know, shemags are stupid trendy things that posers wear,

You're not a poser if you're using it right. Now, if you were wearing it indoors with just a tshirt....

I don't own one, but I am considering picking one up for snowboarding season.

What no Joker hat?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top