Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/15/2013 12:53:49 PM EST
Back in 2009, I'd bought some MRE's from Armygear.net. I've used up most of the two cases I bought and was wanting to restock. They still show them on their web site here. Has anybody bought from them recently? They don't say the manufacture date on the site and I'm reluctant to buy. The price is pretty good, $64.98 for a case of 12.

I'd gotten an e-mail from Camping Survival today that had a link to their MREs but they're out of stock They're also quite expensive.

At theepicenter.com, they have Sopakco MRE cases with heaters for $78. At Emergency Essentials, they have "MREs" that they have packaged themselves (here) but they're about $100 for a case of 12.

Suggestions?

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 2:50:27 PM EST
Wow! Why are MRE's so expensive? I think I'd rather just have cans of soup and spam. I can buy a LOT of cans for the price of MRE's
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 2:59:17 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mbp9:
Wow! Why are MRE's so expensive? I think I'd rather just have cans of soup and spam. I can buy a LOT of cans for the price of MRE's
View Quote

Prolly has something to do with the nutritional and variety content of each...

Not to mention dihareea vs constipation.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:00:17 PM EST
View Quote

Seems like the ones I bought from Armygear were 2 cases for ~75 bux. They've obviously gone up a lot since then. I like MREs for some activities because they're easier and they have more than one type of food contained. MH is good but requires water and it's a one package one type of food kind of deal. Obviously at home, I have home food. When I go on the road, sometimes I take MH, other times I like taking MREs.

I had a group of students that went with me to a flying field one time. I brought a container with some MREs because the nearest food was like 45 minutes each way away. Didn't have to cook anything and clean up was easy. They have their utility for certain applications. I'm just wondering if anybody knows (a) a better place to get them less expensively (b) whether the ones at Armygear are recent production or not.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:03:03 PM EST
Back when I was hunting all the time.
I would all ways take MRE's. Coming in
cold and tired water heating up was a lot
easier then cooking. I loved them. I only bought the
main meal. (The brownies was great!!! )
So have you called them toll-free at 800.541.1839
and ask them the production date???

PITA45
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:53:53 PM EST
I got mine from mredepot.com I think they were like $85 for a case of 6mo old contractor versions which have better menus. At the time all of the armygear stuff was a few years old already.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:07:30 PM EST
Have you tried Craigslist? I know that all the Hippies are a pain in the ass to deal with, but you should be able to find them locally much cheaper. What part of VA are you in?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:56:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By sheepdog372:
Have you tried Craigslist? I know that all the Hippies are a pain in the ass to deal with, but you should be able to find them locally much cheaper. What part of VA are you in?
View Quote

Hampton Roads area. I was surprised there weren't any at the recent funshow in VA Beach.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:19:34 PM EST
the funshows around here discourage MRE's because they might be stolen .gov property. Least that what a guy with a table told me that the promoter said...

+1 for MREdepot
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:35:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2013 5:50:27 AM EST by thormx538]
MREDepot would be 116$ shipped for me for a case of June 2011 contractor ones right now. Last time I bought a case, I got these . I bought mine in Feb 2013, and they had a manufacture date of Dec 2012, so they were brand new. 130$ shipped via Prime. So figure an extra 15$ for potentially two extra years of shelf life.

ETA, go on ebay and search for "Sopakco"
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:00:09 PM EST
Just ordered 2 cases from armygear and inquired about production date their response was feb.2013

we will see next week.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:23:47 PM EST
I got new cases last week with a prod date of 3043.
Also as a returning customer they offer a 10pct disc.
Make sure to add the disc to your order.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:21:20 PM EST
Excellent! Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 4:54:12 PM EST
Anyone care to share their opinion on how many they keep on hand? I have the benefit of getting all I need for $20 per case I have shared a lot with friends and a couple of co worker's but cannot decide on a set number to keep for ourselves.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:06:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By rufusleaking:
Anyone care to share their opinion on how many they keep on hand? I have the benefit of getting all I need for $20 per case I have shared a lot with friends and a couple of co worker's but cannot decide on a set number to keep for ourselves.
View Quote

I try to keep 4-5 for my emergency bag. The rest get used for camping and hiking trips. Need to order some more though since I have run out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:37:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2013 6:38:08 PM EST by thormx538]
I ended up ordering another case on ebay this afternoon because of this thread, in addition to the full case I already have. Haven't gone camping enough this year, haha. Paid 65$ shipped for a case with an inspection date of 2/2015.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:56:46 PM EST
View Quote

If I could get Milspec MRE for $20, and I had conditioned storage space, I'd buy 30 cases. I'd be tempted to say more, but they don't store forever. 30 cases is probally all I want to rotate in 4-5 years.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:06:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Hampton Roads area. I was surprised there weren't any at the recent funshow in VA Beach.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sheepdog372:

Plane,

Have you ever been to M&G Surplus in Norfolk on Granby St. It looks like a dump, but they have some amazing finds in there. You just have to sort through a lot of the junk to find the treasures. I see cases of MRE's in there almost every time I go in and think they are cheaper than the prices I see mentioned in this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MG-Army-Navy-Surplus/108003185890541
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:43:14 PM EST

Seems like the ones I bought from Armygear were 2 cases for ~75 bux. They've obviously gone up a lot since then. I like MREs for some activities because they're easier and they have more than one type of food contained. MH is good but requires water and it's a one package one type of food kind of deal. Obviously at home, I have home food. When I go on the road, sometimes I take MH, other times I like taking MREs.

I had a group of students that went with me to a flying field one time. I brought a container with some MREs because the nearest food was like 45 minutes each way away. Didn't have to cook anything and clean up was easy. They have their utility for certain applications. I'm just wondering if anybody knows (a) a better place to get them less expensively (b) whether the ones at Armygear are recent production or not.
View All Quotes

It was two cases for 106 shipped I think. So something like 53 per case. A total steal.

I was just looking at Midwest Industries and they have cases of 12 for 62 something.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:08:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
It was two cases for 106 shipped I think. So something like 53 per case. A total steal.

I was just looking at Midwest Industries and they have cases of 12 for 62 something.
View All Quotes

I didn't know Midwest was carrying this. When I looked at their web site, though, they were showing a case of 12 for $74.95 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:47:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By Country_Boy:

If I could get Milspec MRE for $20, and I had conditioned storage space, I'd buy 30 cases. I'd be tempted to say more, but they don't store forever. 30 cases is probally all I want to rotate in 4-5 years.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Country_Boy:

thanks that's the number I have right now.. and kept thinking was enough. wife wants more to you hand out if needed.. not sure I am on board with that
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:15:26 AM EST
Up until a week ago, we were a dealer for MRE's. Sold them for 30 a case. 2010 to 2012 production dates. I ended up with 30 cases left out of two pallets. My garage is pretty full right now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:55:46 AM EST
Any reliable place in Seattle? I used to use ArmyGear too but it's getting a bit pricey, especially with shipping.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:19:42 AM EST
Does this look like a good deal?

MRE
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:24:49 PM EST
My job lets me eat a lot of free MREs and often I'll bring one or two leftovers home that I've been holding onto for SHTF stuff but my wife just got into dealing with some freeze dried food that is about a million times better taste/nutrition wise. For less weight to carry and equal or more reasonable cost might be worth loooking at the other options out there. Again just the opinion of someone that's eaten a lot of MREs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:39:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
My job lets me eat a lot of free MREs and often I'll bring one or two leftovers home that I've been holding onto for SHTF stuff but my wife just got into dealing with some freeze dried food that is about a million times better taste/nutrition wise. For less weight to carry and equal or more reasonable cost might be worth loooking at the other options out there. Again just the opinion of someone that's eaten a lot of MREs.
View Quote

Agreed, but for me these go in the car where I'm not going to heat water and wait. I'm not getting them because I like them. Ok, I lied... I do like some of them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:40:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By melonjr:

MRE
View Quote

Anyone help me with this? I'm trying to decide on this vs armygear since I'll have to pay tax and shipping from them. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:47:24 PM EST

Anyone help me with this? I'm trying to decide on this vs armygear since I'll have to pay tax and shipping from them. Thanks!
View All Quotes

MRE

I just bought two cases of MRE's from Armygear for $155 shipped. So that is 24 meals compared to that. Dont know if that helps. But I liked that idea better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:55:34 PM EST
Pretty sad I can't choose. I like the idea of more entrees, but everything is loose and the cases are packed nicely in a thick sealed bag.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:23:27 PM EST
I bought one of these when I was on a trip to SLC and carried it back in my checked luggage. I like what it has in it.

I prefer the "real" MREs that come with a heater for when I'm out in the field. (It also comes with a utensil to eat with although that's not a problem since I have one of these bamboo utensil sets in my laptop bag.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:18:56 AM EST

View All Quotes

MRE

They took out some of the sides and deserts, then seem to be charging near full price.

(Looks like they added drink packets and millenium bars though.)

While the price is ballpark, the contents have been manhandled and picked through. One of the things I like about an MRE is the extremely tough bag and "one pack toss it in" type handling.

The price is just OK. What's the shipping like?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:14:22 AM EST
They took out some of the sides and deserts, then seem to be charging near full price.

(Looks like they added drink packets and millenium bars though.)

While the price is ballpark, the contents have been manhandled and picked through. One of the things I like about an MRE is the extremely tough bag and "one pack toss it in" type handling.

The price is just OK. What's the shipping like?
View Quote

I think I'm going to go ahead with the regular packaged MREs. I don't have tons of free time to divide and package up my own.

Shipping is included.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:05:32 AM EST
Since you're in Hampton Roads, you should check out Double Tap Surplus, in Virginia Beach. Last I saw, their price was something like $49.95 for a case, then they had individuals and basic components as well. MRE's aren't listed on their website, but it has directions and whatnot, http://doubletapsurplus.com/
Top Top