Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 12:50:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2014 1:03:02 PM EDT by danpass]
Edit3:

6m setup. There's actually one mast leg to go (at the top)

Turns out that 10m comes in just fine lol though no one hears me.

Edit:  since it's so small and light I'm taking the EFHW as well along with its coax. Is there a problem with attaching 3-4ft of paracord to the top, running it under the other antenna and then attaching the end of the EFHW? ( then sloping it down to wherever).

This way to switch to 10-40 I just unplug the 6m coax and plug in the EFHW coax.

Edit2:

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:53:03 PM EDT
Why are you primary set on 6m? I am sure there is a group looking for that grid but 20 and 40 would net you more contacts.

Why not use a vertical? It has a lower take off angle and the saltwater will make a good ground plane.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:00:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2014 1:03:39 PM EDT by danpass]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:42:35 PM EDT
I think that unless you get really really really really lucky a terrible antenna on 10m will net you exponentially more contacts than an excellent 6m setup.  Just my opinion...
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:28:34 PM EDT
Pic added
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:21:16 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By danpass:
The buddipole can be set up as a vertical but then, every time I switch away from 6m, I have to rebuild the antenna to make a vertical (or horizontal).

Basically I only see myself able to take one mast with me.  I don't know what my mounting options are down there.
View Quote

I'd probably be considering a random wire for the HF bands - which would leave the Buddipole free for full-time use as a 6M yagi.

A random wire doesn't require much in the way of support (just about any tree or 2-story building will work), and the tuner in your IC-703 is already pretty close to being able to handle a random wire length - Just add a 4:1 balun at the antenna feedpoint, and you're there.

Earlier this week, I used one of these to put a random wire approx. 40' up into a tree branch:

It worked so well, I think I peed a little.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:28:00 PM EDT
Skibane - where'd you get that and how accurate are you with it?  I need to get 40 to 50' up into a Walnut tree this year.  I have a slingshot but can barely hit the tree itself with a steel nut tied to a string!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:31:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/12/2014 6:37:50 PM EDT by danpass]
Skibane
View Quote

lol.

The EARC is just like that. They designed it with a 9:1 unun.

The mounting options are artificially limited. For sure nothing can be attached to the trees down there and I don't know what else might be available.

Hence the question about attaching to the mast under the antenna structure.

Here are some pics operating from a local park:

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:40:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:46:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:
Skibane - where'd you get that and how accurate are you with it?
View Quote

I made mine, after a trip to the Wal-Mart sporting goods department - It looks virtually identical to the one in the picture.

You can also buy 'em pre-made (example here), but it's a lot cheaper to cobble together your own.

At short-to-moderate ranges, shooting a lead fishing sinker is almost as accurate as shooting a marble or ball bearing. At long distances, the weight and drag of the fishing line starts to pull the sinker off-course.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:52:34 PM EDT
The mounting options are artificially limited. For sure nothing can be attached to the trees down there
View Quote

Who's gonna know?

Are they chaperoning you or something?

It's not exactly a major construction project:

1. Erect antenna after arrival, and
2. Remove antenna before leaving.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:54:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:
Skibane - where'd you get that and how accurate are you with it?  I need to get 40 to 50' up into a Walnut tree this year.  I have a slingshot but can barely hit the tree itself with a steel nut tied to a string!
View Quote

Go to a fishing shop and get a plastic casting plug.

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Eagle-Claw-Practice-Casting-Plug

While you're there, get an $8 fishing reel and tape it to a slingshot.

I used it at church to run video cables in the ceiling crawl spaces. Our priest didn't believe it worked, so we shot it down an 80ft hallway at Sunday school and hit the back door. It flies like something out of a Batman movie.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:08:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skibane:

Who's gonna know?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skibane:
The mounting options are artificially limited. For sure nothing can be attached to the trees down there

Who's gonna know?

Full boat NPS crew down there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:58:01 AM EDT
Can you clarify their definition of "attach"? Would a line draped over a branch or tree-top, and then staked to the ground on the other end be a problem? I'm wondering if they mean something like you cannot put nails or screws into the trees.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:09:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2014 9:15:11 AM EDT by K9-Bob]
If you are going to go to all of the trouble and expense, you still may want to consider a backup plan for operating on HF.

6m may be full of fail for you first dxpedition. Have a plan "B" just in case 6m is dead.

Get an 18' S9 vertical and use your rig's internal tuner. The S9 is simple antenna and requires just a few radials to make it happy.

The Buddi-pole tuning seems a bit complicated and from what I have read from your earlier posts is your success with it has been limited.  Keep it simple and your time there may be more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:14:22 AM EDT
Actually running a 6m antenna on the mast, either yagi or vertical is a good idea, as is using the end fed as a HF antenna.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:47:31 AM EDT
What about two MFJ 6m "fiberglass stick" antennas? Put them into dipole configuration.

I have a clothesline reel that I filled with "AFW 1x7 Surfstrand copper trolling wire" It supposedly is 30lb test, and I put about 130 feet onto the coleman clothes reel. I unroll a bit, and put it put it up somewhere, either in a tree, or up the side of my 31' fiberglass jackite pole.

6m Moxon beam could work, fiberglass "snow plow stakes" work well for that, but you ain't gonna find 'em in Florida. Shipping is kinda prohibitive, but you get the idea.

QST May 2014 has an excellent article on building a portable DXpedition antenna. You might want to look at it. If you don't have a subscription, let me know and I'll throw mine in the box I'm sending you.

Have you considered a rope yagi they were all the rage for a while, and died out because they're hard to turn and VERY DANGEROUS. The gain on a 100ft one is about 20dBi, so, consider that into your EIRP calculations. BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE ONE OF THESE. STAY AWAY FROM IT WHEN TRANSMITTING. VERY DANGEROUS. They're very lightweight, and you can probably mark out the ropes ahead of time, and just pack some 1/16" aluminium rod and zip ties. Just keep in mind the MEP controlled and uncontrolled exposures if you use one. It's too easy to cook things with one. (I used one on 70cm and killed some birds and a tree.)

As I think of more, I'll update.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:30:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2014 3:31:36 PM EDT by Jupiter7200]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
If you are going to go to all of the trouble and expense, you still may want to consider a backup plan for operating on HF.

6m may be full of fail for you first dxpedition. Have a plan "B" just in case 6m is dead.

Get an 18' S9 vertical and use your rig's internal tuner. The S9 is simple antenna and requires just a few radials to make it happy.

The Buddi-pole tuning seems a bit complicated and from what I have read from your earlier posts is your success with it has been limited.  Keep it simple and your time there may be more enjoyable.
View Quote

The 15 meter band on up may not be depended on to work.  If you carry only one antenna, a 40 meter wire dipole is pretty effective.  And with a tuner, can work 15 m, too.

But for the same amount of wire, 66' overall, you can make a 40-20-10 m OCFD using a 4:1 current balun, 44' wire on one side, 22' on the other.  Won't do 15 m, no big deal.  But if all you have is 40 and 20 meters you will do very well.  

I just worked a special event on 40 m.  We used just such an antenna hung in the trees (up only about 15' high) for my station.  20 m was dead, the other station said.  I was reeling in contacts, on average, 15 an hour.  This was not contesting, but a lot of chit-chat about the event.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2014 6:22:55 PM EDT by danpass]
Originally Posted By DocSarvis:
Can you clarify their definition of "attach"? Would a line draped over a branch or tree-top, and then staked to the ground on the other end be a problem? I'm wondering if they mean something like you cannot put nails or screws into the trees.
View Quote

In my conversation with one of the on-site (they have a sat phone system) Rangers they mean, literally, nothing.

But more importantly my proposed setup keeps itself out of the way of people, especially kids who seem to be inordinately drawn to technology and guy wires

My proposal, by special event permit, is to set up on the slab of the North Coaling dock ruins (normally closed) to isolate the setup.

Google Maps view LINK

Plus it provides for an awesome saltwater amplifier into CONUS

I plan on aiming from 20magnetic to 300M.

_
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:08:43 PM EDT
My proposal, by special event permit, is to set up on the slab of the North Coaling dock ruins (normally closed) to isolate the setup.

Google Maps view LINK

Plus it provides for an awesome saltwater amplifier into CONUS

I plan on aiming from 20magnetic to 300M.

_
View Quote

That's where the other expedition set up also IIRC.

I still say horizontal moxons for whatever bands you want on a 20-30 foot collapsible fiberglass pole.  Run string down from opposing corners to anchor the orientation.

You got operators?  You finalize a date?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:10:37 PM EDT
Single Operator Portable, June 14-16
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:18:56 PM EDT
How are you getting the gear to the location you will be operating? How many people will you be bringing with you?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2014 1:28:30 PM EDT by danpass]
Single as in 'just me'

two hands, two feets

I have an ALICE frame that I'll likely use to transport all my gear.

My radio GoBox in one hand
Antenna bag strapped over one shoulder
5 gallon jerry can in the other hand

Once camp is set up I'll just strap the GoBox to the ALICE frame (I've already worked it out) along with antenna bag.

I just have to figure out how to deal with the sand chair
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:29:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2014 1:29:51 PM EDT by DOUGHERTY03]
Single as in 'just me'

two hands, two feets
View Quote

Are you bringing a tactical wheelbarrow? Just curious of the logistics of your trip. It seems like a daunting task to get the gear (communication and supplies) to the fort. Forget packing it across what looks like a sand path to the North Coaling Dock.

You edited while I was typing. No food? I figured on 5 gallons of water.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2014 2:14:24 PM EDT by danpass]
They actually have tactical wheelbarrows at the dock upon arrival.  It'll help get stuff to the campsite.

example:

Things in the pack or strapped onto it are pretty simple for the moment: (mostly in order of importance)

Tent
Fleece sleeping bag liner (basically my sleeping bag)
ground pad
dSLR with two lenses
GoPro and stick
One .mil style canteen (full) with nesting canteen stand/cup
One round style canteen (full) with an aluminum round nesting cup
3-4 slimmed down MREs
Small toiletry kit
Sterno or two
One pair river pants (I'll be wearing the other pair)
One UA long sleeve heat shirt (I'll be wearing another)
One UA compression short (I'll be wearing another)
Bathing suit
Mask and snorkel (boat also provides gear so I'll take their fins)
Oversize baby wipes
Regular towel
Chopped up towel
Soft paint brush (for brushing away sand and stuff off the radio if needed)

other stuff
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:53:22 PM EDT
Have you considered using a telescoping pole?  I use one for my SOTA activations, and have no trouble erecting it in all kinds of terrain.  I use it with either a 20M dipole or a vertical end fed, depending on what I am doing.

From my archive.  I typically send a summit photo for my SOTA QSL's...

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:02:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Frostbite:
Have you considered using a telescoping pole?  I use one for my SOTA activations, and have no trouble erecting it in all kinds of terrain.  I use it with either a 20M dipole or a vertical end fed, depending on what I am doing.

From my archive.  I typically send a summit photo for my SOTA QSL's...

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2837/10010738835_9f0f0b40f0_b.jpg

View Quote

I'd seen that before and was trying to find it for Dan, thanks for posting.  I'd do the vertical end-fed with all that saltwater nearby.  Should have a booming signal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:54:03 AM EDT
Frostbite
Can you give us more detail on that set up?
What pole is that?
how do you anchor it to the ground?
What antenna?
how did you attach antenna to pole?
Weight of gear?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:34:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2014 1:02:19 PM EDT by danpass]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:53:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 404papa:
Frostbite
Can you give us more detail on that set up?
What pole is that?
how do you anchor it to the ground?
What antenna?
how did you attach antenna to pole?
Weight of gear?
View Quote

I can definitely give detail on the antenna set up.  Today is very busy for me, so I'll take pictures, weigh my antenna bag and get a post up on it tomorrow.  The antenna itself is actually one I made, since no one seemed to make one as light weight as I wanted.  

I've actually been meaning to put together a detailed post for Summits on the Air.  I'll use this as an excuse to break it up into bite sized chunks.

Oh, and let me be the first to welcome you to AR15.com and our Ham forum!  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:13:03 AM EDT

I have.  But the collapsed length of most everything I find that is suitable is too long.
View Quote

Looking at the video of the past expedition I didn't get the feeling there were issues bringing long poles on the transport boat.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:13:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

Looking at the video of the past expedition I didn't get the feeling there were issues bringing long poles on the transport boat.
View All Quotes

I have.  But the collapsed length of most everything I find that is suitable is too long.

That's true.

But it's only me
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:28:33 AM EDT

That's true.

But it's only me
View All Quotes

That's true.

But it's only me

Fishing is allowed, so they've got to be used to guys bringing some sort of fishing rods. Get a rod case and put some poles in it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:36:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/15/2014 7:38:05 AM EDT by danpass]
Ugh.

If I was ONLY fishing

or ONLY camping

or ONLY doing photography

or had another body

Then I could take different stuff.

But I've got a radio box, water, camping gear, SLA batteries, solar panel, etc.  And only two hands and two feets to get the stuff to the boat from the car.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:33:11 AM EDT
The pole in my photo is actually a fishing rod, and collapses to 28 inches.  ;)
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:43:25 AM EDT
Ugh.

If I was ONLY fishing

or ONLY camping

or had another body

But I've got a radio box, water, camping gear, SLA batteries, solar panel, etc.  And only two hands and two feets to get the stuff to the boat from the car.
View Quote

Nothing an 80lb pack can't fix.

Don't you have someone to take with you? Sit here and hold this pole.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:45:30 AM EDT
According to the ferry I literally got the last seat in and the last seat out bracketing the days for the VHF contest
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:16:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/15/2014 9:17:33 AM EDT by BigDaddy0004]
Originally Posted By joemama74:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Ugh.

If I was ONLY fishing

or ONLY camping

or had another body

I think you need a Sherpa.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:32:31 PM EDT

or had another body

View Quote

Sooooo...fill me in on the actual schedule...via IM c'est vous plais, I might be up for this depending on timing.

I am 13 hours from Key West...what is your QTH?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:42:20 PM EDT
lol, Miami.

They had told me I had gotten the last spot but maybe there have been cancellations.

Inbound Dry Tortugas June 14, outbound June 17
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:23:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Frostbite:
The pole in my photo is actually a fishing rod, and collapses to 28 inches.  ;)
View Quote

...and I still want to know what make/model it is!  

...Pretty please!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:39:53 AM EDT
op.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:10:31 AM EDT
updated
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:57:13 PM EDT
I don't think you will be dissapointed. Plus if you are they sell for nearly new prices on ebay just like the rest of most HAM gear...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:05:28 PM EDT
Pic added
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:09:39 PM EDT
the more I read about this trip, the more I want to go.  I think it should be a recurring event.  Either for the VHF contest or field day.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:41:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 3:43:23 AM EDT by Harlikwin]
You know you can get another foot or two out of the tripod base and make it more stable right? the legs extend.

ETA, I also assume you have this: Awseome BP antenna bookl
Top Top