Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 6:43:27 AM EDT
Next month we are going to invite some like minded friends over for a meal. Everyone is to bring something from their "stores" and cook it for the evening meal. We watch as they prepare the food.

We have done this before and the guests must bring a new dish for all to try. This is a great time because not only can you spend some time with people that don't have their heads in the sand, but you get to try different recipes to use on long term storage items.

Additionally it strengthens our network.

I thought I would pass this on to you, feel free to give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure someone brings something other than beans.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool - prepper pot luck!

Is it also a key party?  You know, for after the Apocalypse where you're trying to repopulate the world with maximum genetic diversity?  Same theory as the pot luck - ya gotta try 'em out.

[Mods - if this is too GDish let me know and I'll erase.]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
That is a fantastic thing to do.  Make sure you don't tell the other people what you're making and keep it a surprise. Why? To see just how different or the same your meals could be if things get bad. That can lead to a whole night discussion of food fatigue, having a means to make various meals and so forth.

I've been invited to do this before back in the Y2k days and of the five couples that showed up 3 had very similar meals - combo of a rice/beans/TVP mixture that they all cooked in a pressure cooker. We ended up making a dish of instant rice with canned chicken, can of peas and two packets of chicken gravy.  It was a half-assed chicken stew.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a can of soup beans, or cook up some beans, cream them and then put them over fried potatoes.....good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
beans and weenies
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't require they be cooked on site- this rules out a  lot of simmer for hours or presoaking beans.  It's a good goal though.  Those too lazy to cook could being a couple of MH or other prestored meals- that's a great opportunity to test for possible future purchases.  I fed my family MH several times for dinner.  In fact this weekend we tried the breakfast wrap and the Hormel canned roast beef and mashed potatoes.

BTW, the best prepper recipe of all time is the winter vegetable stew posted in the food forum.  Butternut squash, onion, carrots, kale, chickpeas, canned tomatoes + seasoning.  I triple the ammount of chickpeas and make a 24 qt stockpot's worth .  Kale will grow here almost to December, and later if protected from freezing, the other veggies store well from the garden.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top