Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2015 1:41:45 PM EDT
here toy go, nerds.  

Raspberry Pi 2 on sale now

Raspberry Pi 2 Arrives: 6x Faster, An “Entry-Level PC” For $35

Let’s get the good stuff out of the way above the fold. Raspberry Pi 2 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Model B+), featuring:

A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
   1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
   Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1

Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10.
View Quote

ETA:  oh yeah, says it will be getting Windows 10 for free.  that sounds interesting.  however, i think this will be my $35 experiment in finally learning Linux.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:00:14 PM EDT
Well that's good. I was about to put the money down on a Beagle Bone Black to get a faster processor that would work with Asterisk better).

I've actually been thinking about upgrading my Asus netbook to Win 10. Runs horribly slow with 7 on it and then I may actually boot it into Windows more often than it currently gets booted into 7.

If it'll run the 8.1/10 base, it should run Ubuntu distros just fine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:51:44 PM EDT
I just bought a BBB at the beginning of January.  Right now it's acting only as a GPS disciplined time server.  I can't wait to see some performance benchmarks of the new Pi compared to other uComputers.

ETA:  A thorough writeup from Adafruit:  https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-2-model-b?view=all
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:11:17 PM EDT
I have an RPi, and I've been waiting on this.  Woohoo!

The others I've tried just don't have the support structure of the RPi.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:03:20 PM EDT
v2 pi just showed up in today's mail...
Need to pick up another micro sd for it so I can play a bit.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:39:26 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
v2 pi just showed up in today's mail...
Need to pick up another micro sd for it so I can play a bit.

Nick
View Quote

Just don't take any pictures of it
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:21:24 PM EDT

Nick

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:42:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:59:01 PM EDT
Anyone have it in stock?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:43:42 AM EDT
Got mine at mcm electronics. Was ordered pretty much same day as OP & on backorder for maybe a week prior to shipping.

They are in stock there currently.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:31:08 AM EDT
Awesome. Thanks. Just ordered one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:59:04 PM EDT
Quoted:
I just bought a BBB at the beginning of January.  Right now it's acting only as a GPS disciplined time server.  I can't wait to see some performance benchmarks of the new Pi compared to other uComputers.

ETA:  A thorough writeup from Adafruit:  https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-2-model-b?view=all
View Quote

Any additional information on the NTP server configuration for the BBB?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:01:33 PM EDT
The version of Windows 10 that is planned for the pi is not a full blown version but one of the command line IoT (internet of things) builds. The pi2 will actually make usable for something other than a simple single task computer. There are some stirrings of making a slightly more costly version that has a separate lan controller and sata port to be able to build out a more complex system. Possibly in the $50-$75 range. I am perfectly happy with the offering of the pi2 and will more than likley end up replacing my pi's with pi2's. Or just retasking them to other projects like a dropbox server.

The big thing is that Broadcom is now embracing the pi system full force and we may start to see some more roubst chips and actually see some of the instructions that Broadcom does not release to the public. The pi2 processor is actually a custom build for them alone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:21:24 PM EDT
Got my shipping notice today!
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:22:22 PM EDT
Where are you guys buying them?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:45:31 PM EDT
I got my shipping notice today. I have no idea what I am going to use it for. My first thought was to be a Plex server, and eventually start running an IGate on it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:56:14 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

MCM Electronics
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:39:57 PM EDT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MCM Electronics

This
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:02:34 AM EDT
Ok, so I keep seeing people talk about Arduino and Rasberry Pi stuff, and they both look like fun tools, but nothing has really jumped out at me as being a really useful project (i.e. I don't need a Pi powered Gameboy, or Pi-Voice activated coffe maker) - I'm looking for an excuse to buy one so maybe you guys can help me?

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:28:31 AM EDT
Quoted:
Ok, so I keep seeing people talk about Arduino and Rasberry Pi stuff, and they both look like fun tools, but nothing has really jumped out at me as being a really useful project (i.e. I don't need a Pi powered Gameboy, or Pi-Voice activated coffe maker) - I'm looking for an excuse to buy one so maybe you guys can help me?  
View Quote

I just started down this path:

http://www.irlp.net/pi/

don't blame me.  You asked!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:30:26 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

I plan on using mine as a Linux box to play with.

Alas, shipped FedEx and I still have to wait a week. Scheduled delivery = 1/23

As far as Arduino, I know someone that made some interesting projects. The walkway lights to his house would brighten as you got close and would dim behind you. He also made a programmable sign for this bicycle spokes. Usually he'd just display his call sign. It was cool at night.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:38:47 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

I built about 30% of a repeater controller using one. I've used the GPIO lines to read DS18B20 temperature sensors. I built a self-contained controller for an RTL-SDR dongle using a 2x40 LCD and some buttons connected to the GPIO. It could tune up and down, switch modes, and adjust squelch. There's a dedicated camera for it and I used that to take time-lapse pictures of a snowstorm last year.

It's a $35 low powered, low speed Linux machine the size of a pack of cigarettes... buy one and then figure out what to do with it!

My next project is an APRS gateway since there aren't many around me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:43:28 AM EDT
That IRLP stuff is pretty cool. Doing some Google searches has turned up some interesting ham radio projects using both the Arduino and Ras Pi.

On further thought it seems like the Ras Pi, if set up correctly, could be useful for applications where you need computing power, but don't want to risk an expensive, fragile, power hungry laptop/PC, or want to risk personal information to hacking or whatever. If Iran/Russia/Aliens put a few nukes into the U.S. and you don't want to bust out your abacus for math calculations you could use something like this....far fetched, but you get the gyst

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:47:31 AM EDT
Quoted:
That IRLP stuff is pretty cool. Doing some Google searches has turned up some interesting ham radio projects using both the Arduino and Ras Pi.

On further thought it seems like the Ras Pi, if set up correctly, could be useful for applications where you need computing power, but don't want to risk an expensive, fragile, power hungry laptop/PC, or want to risk personal information to hacking or whatever.
View Quote

Depends on how much computing power you need. The B has an 800 MHz chip. If you're not running X, there's a decent amount of power available. Running X and Gnome feels pretty sluggish after a few apps are open.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:45:56 AM EDT
How long is the $35 price till?  I have no allowance for a few more days.  

Makes it sound like I live in a basement.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:05:29 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd at least slap an HT in the mix and make it a Digi/IGate combo. With APRX, you can set the "viscosity" to a few seconds to let the big gun Digis do most of the work, but that fill-in capability is nice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:54:11 PM EDT
Got one on order.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:57:13 PM EDT
Quoted:

I built about 30% of a repeater controller using one. I've used the GPIO lines to read DS18B20 temperature sensors. I built a self-contained controller for an RTL-SDR dongle using a 2x40 LCD and some buttons connected to the GPIO. It could tune up and down, switch modes, and adjust squelch. There's a dedicated camera for it and I used that to take time-lapse pictures of a snowstorm last year.

It's a $35 low powered, low speed Linux machine the size of a pack of cigarettes... buy one and then figure out what to do with it!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did you write the repeater code in? (Svxlink is the only easy to run repeater program on a Pi and it isn't extremely easy disable the connection to the Echolink network).

aprx runs on Pi well. Pymultimon APRS if you want to RX with a RTL.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:37:00 PM EDT
Quoted:

What did you write the repeater code in? (Svxlink is the only easy to run repeater program on a Pi and it isn't extremely easy disable the connection to the Echolink network).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perl and C. I used an RTL-SDR for the receiver (because I had one sitting around, obviously it would need a lot of filtering to be considered for actual use) and modified the rtl_fm driver so that whenever squelch was broken, it sent sig USR1 to the process of the main controller. There was a listener for that signal and whenever it was raised, it closed a serial line that triggered transmit (on an FT817 connected to a dummy load, again because I had it sitting around) and piped the audio from the sound card into it.

It was dead simple and the whole thing was about 5 lines of perl and 5 of C. It didn't handle timeouts but it did ID using Festival and had a courtesy tone. Maybe it was more like 80% of a repeater controller
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:38:42 PM EDT
Anyone seeing this in stock for $35? I'm only seeing them for $45.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:22:28 PM EDT
In stock @ MCM Electronics for $35 + shipping...

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16530

Nick
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:02:47 PM EDT
I recently got several from Element14 (Newark's consumer-oriented store). They're back on backorder,
but they usually fill pretty quick.

$35 at Element14/Newark
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:23:04 PM EDT
My Pi arrived yesterday. Fired it up today, and NADA, just a red light. Apparently, older versions of NOOBS (that came preloaded on the NOOBS card I paid for) don't get along with the new chipset in the 2. Downloaded NOOBS, reformatted and installed, and I am up and running. Still not convinced I have a use for this thing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:26:04 AM EDT
Quoted:
Still not convinced I have a use for this thing.
View Quote

Well, if nothing else, it makes a great Xenon flash detector...
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:48:36 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still not convinced I have a use for this thing.

One of mine gets used with rtl_power for site survey's when I get ready to put up new repeaters. Run it for a week and then look at all the data to see what's up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:33:11 PM EDT
I am posting this from my new Raspberry Pi 2.
Went to a hamfest today. The guy I went with had six of them. He offered me one of them.
I just got it fired up, and obviously it works despite the fact that I can't find my ass with both hands.

Just followed the instructions on Adafruit's website.
Gotta go to work, but maybe tomorrow I can start messing around with adding this to my digipeater.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:03:26 PM EDT
Got home from work and spent hours today reading webpages and watching YouTube about using the Pi with FLDIGI.

Again, I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground. But, I decided to give it a shot and I encountered an event so rare that I almost can't remember the last time it happened. Everything seems to work with no issues at all. I didn't have to do anything. I downloaded the FLDIGI software. I plugged in my Signalink USB. The Pi saw the Signalink. I turned on my KX3 and I am on PSK31 with the Raspberry Pi.

I haven't worked anybody, but I believe it is working. The radio transmits when keyed with the software and everything looks like it is transmitting.

This is going to be fantastic. In our local APRS group, we use FLDIGI mainly to send FEMA forms using FLARQ using VHF simplex. This is going to cut the size of the package down to almost nothing. Now I have to interface this with a VHF rig and try it out.

This is just one of several immediate ham radio projects I envision for the Pi.
I have mentioned that I also want to use this with XASTIR and my digipeater.
I also want to use a TNC-PI and a small screen to give me something like the AVMAP GPS I am using with my Kenwood 710 in the pickup.

I already ordered a bunch of stuff: monitor, 2 amp power supplies, TNC-Pi........ I have gone off the deep end.

EDIT: I worked a KP4 running the Pi/FLDIGI/KX3 on PSK31 so everything is working FB
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:03:51 PM EDT
Quoted:
Got home from work and spent hours today reading webpages and watching YouTube about using the Pi with FLDIGI.

Again, I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground. But, I decided to give it a shot and I encountered an event so rare that I almost can't remember the last time it happened. Everything seems to work with no issues at all. I didn't have to do anything. I downloaded the FLDIGI software. I plugged in my Signalink USB. The Pi saw the Signalink. I turned on my KX3 and I am on PSK31 with the Raspberry Pi.

I haven't worked anybody, but I believe it is working. The radio transmits when keyed with the software and everything looks like it is transmitting.

This is going to be fantastic. In our local APRS group, we use FLDIGI mainly to send FEMA forms using FLARQ using VHF simplex. This is going to cut the size of the package down to almost nothing. Now I have to interface this with a VHF rig and try it out.

This is just one of several immediate ham radio projects I envision for the Pi.
I have mentioned that I also want to use this with XASTIR and my digipeater.
I also want to use a TNC-PI and a small screen to give me something like the AVMAP GPS I am using with my Kenwood 710 in the pickup.

I already ordered a bunch of stuff: monitor, 2 amp power supplies, TNC-Pi........ I have gone off the deep end.

EDIT: I worked a KP4 running the Pi/FLDIGI/KX3 on PSK31 so everything is working FB
View Quote

I'm actually quite interested to see how Xastir runs on the Pi2 (it's painfully slow on a Pi). It's painfully slow on my Atom computer. YAAC is an APRS client I like a lot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:14:07 PM EDT
Quoted:

Nick
View Quote

My order from MCM came in quicker than the expected shipping date. I got it fired up last night. I had to use my Samsung S4 charger since it's the only thing I had that's 2A. I have a dedicated charger coming tomorrow along with a HDMI to DVI cable and a case.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:37:04 PM EDT
Quoted:

My order from MCM came in quicker than the expected shipping date. I got it fired up last night. I had to use my Samsung S4 charger since it's the only thing I had that's 2A. I have a dedicated charger coming tomorrow along with a HDMI to DVI cable and a case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

I am running mine on one those big cell phone type batteries. I think it is like 4 amp hours. It won't put out two amps, but the Pi seems to be running fine with it.

I worked another guy on PSK using the Pi and FLDIGI, he was in Arkansas. 5 watts/KX3
But I am now running into problems. FLDIGI isn't saving any of my configuration information. Macros and all that. If I close the program, the settings are gone.

I attempted to use XASTIR but didn't get very far. I need further study about how to get it to see the data from my TNC (Argent OT3). The software works, so that is a start.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:01:07 PM EDT
Maybe now I should update the DeerCam 2k

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:17:19 PM EDT
Is there a way to have a pi or Arduino trigger a relay to sound a boat horn and use output from an iPhone for the timing? That would be handy for running yacht races.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:21:52 PM EDT
Quoted:
Is there a way to have a pi or Arduino trigger a relay to sound a boat horn and use output from an iPhone for the timing? That would be handy for running yacht races.
View Quote

Easily. Just set one of the GPIOs to out and use that to trip a transistor or small relay.

Trigger from the iPhone would depend on the software, but you could set up a REST interface for triggering it in about 1 line of code.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:47:02 PM EDT
Quoted:

I am running mine on one those big cell phone type batteries. I think it is like 4 amp hours. It won't put out two amps, but the Pi seems to be running fine with it.

I worked another guy on PSK using the Pi and FLDIGI, he was in Arkansas. 5 watts/KX3
But I am now running into problems. FLDIGI isn't saving any of my configuration information. Macros and all that. If I close the program, the settings are gone.

I attempted to use XASTIR but didn't get very far. I need further study about how to get it to see the data from my TNC (Argent OT3). The software works, so that is a start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

Yeah, I think 2 is recommended. My others (500mA) didn't seem to work but now I think it was a bad power strip. I'll try again tonight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:51:41 PM EDT
Quoted:

Yeah, I think 2 is recommended. My others (500mA) didn't seem to work but now I think it was a bad power strip. I'll try again tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

If you're just running the pi with no USB devices, you can get away with a lot less than they recommend. If you underclock it you can do even better. I've run my pis from all manner of non-recommended sources
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:19:04 PM EDT
http://makezine.com/projects/portable-pi-power-raspbery-pi-to-go/ now, you could buy a buck module off ebay instead of building your own. they run less than $3 each and listed as LM2596. the down side is you have to wait for them to come from China which will be between 2 and 3 weeks or pay more(lime double or triple) to have one shipped from inside the US.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:41:37 PM EDT
There are also those smart phone lion "portable recharge" units with a standard usb style port. I picked up a 4000 mah model for  extended power for the AA170, but it should work pretty well with the pi...

Nick
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:54:10 PM EDT
Lots of cool pi projects, i wrote a home security system app, and use raspbmc on another one to play videos in the van for the kids.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:03:52 PM EDT
Quoted:
If you're just running the pi with no USB devices, you can get away with a lot less than they recommend. If you underclock it you can do even better. I've run my pis from all manner of non-recommended sources
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good to know.

Quoted:
Lots of cool pi projects, i wrote a home security system app, and use raspbmc on another one to play videos in the van for the kids.

I just added several books including a couple of project books to my Books 24x7 account. Looking forward to playing with this thing a lot.

ETA: Doesn't work for me on the 500mA charger. It runs through the boot process and then dies. Oh well, the 2A will be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:47:16 AM EDT
I need someone to design a pi setup using one of those 4-inch touch screens and an tiny transceiver for an ultraportable JT65 kit.

The standard QSO style of jt65 would work well on a small touch screen.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top