Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/27/2011 4:13:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2011 4:23:19 PM EST by txharleyrider]
In the instructions it says to remove the check valve from inside the housing for the filter using a flat object. But it does not say how to do it. I can not figure out

ETA. Forgot to ask if you do use one, how do you like it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:39:11 PM EST
Get the hiker, not the pro hiker. I have the standard hiker, excellent, built like a tank, pumps fast. Had it for 10? years or so.
The Pro model has the quick disconnect fittings that I have seen several break on the trail, from dropping and freezing. I have never had a problem with the old trusty Hiker, never.
I wrap a coffee filter around the suction end to GREATLY extend the life of the filter, bring a couple of small rubberbands to keep it in place.
Read the owners manual, clean with bleach before and after every trip.
Check valve- I do not remember, however a monkey can repair it in the dark, nothing complicated.
Also, the Micropure brand tablets have no aftertaste and are a good backup to carry on the trail, a little $$$ at .50 a tablet/quart, if you need them price is a bargain.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:01:21 PM EST
First post nails it, Hiker > Hiker Pro. Love mine, simple and works good. I also have a Vario, but it lives in the grab and go SHTF gear and never gets taken on camping trips. The hiker gets the regular duty. Emergency Essentials had them on sale a while back, might still be.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:49:36 PM EST
I love my hiker pro. No issues but I have not used it colder than just above freezing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:51:46 PM EST
I too have a question. Which systems share a common filter? Hiker and Pro are a given. What about the base camp and Vario? I bought the Hiker for a GHB since we don't do much hiking/camping.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:00:51 AM EST
hiker user since 03-04'.
not one issue.

ive upgraded to a mini....well ...cuz its lighter ans smaller. Only reason.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:37:58 AM EST
hiker user since 96 no problems
still have 8 or 9 spare filters

Also bought a mini 2 years ago due to size
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:24:37 AM EST
Hiker here as well...never a problem in many years of use now and I'm only on my second filter. I just spray it down w/ some bleach water when I come home and it's fine
Except for all the crud on the outside of the filter, but as long as it stays on the outside, I could care less

Speed
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:06:12 PM EST
I appreciate your replies, but no one has even tried to answer my question. It wasn't which filter should I buy, the Hiker vs Hiker Pro.

So can any of you tell me how to remove the check valve?
Top Top