Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 3:25:53 PM EDT
OK, here's the Big Question.

2 scenarios

1. Simplex.   What's a QSO sound like?

EX:   CQ P5ZYX   how doyou come back to it? IE what's a simple simplex DX QSO sound like?

2.Split.

P5XYZ is on 10.115 working up 2.

CQ P5XYZ

I need the format here so do not sound as ignorant as I am.

What would these QSOs sound like?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
doesn't matter if it's split or not.

When the DX pile-up is listening for calls....
P5XYZ TU
P5XYZ  UP
P5XYZ QRZ

you call...
piccolo

he replies . . .
piccolo
picc ?
olo ?

If he gets part of it send
piccolo piccolo

and/or he sends
piccolo 5NN

all you need to send is
piccolo 5NN TU

If it's before the pile up heats up, I might do a...

P5XYZ  DE derek45 5NN 73 TU
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
in other words, to work CW DX pile-ups, all you need to do is

learn to send your call

learn to hear your call

and send piccolo 5NN TU
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually it's a short exchange.
You - WB3PIC
DX- WB3  or - PIC?   (They often don't get a full callsign)
You - WB3PIC
DX - WB3PIC 5NN
You - 5NN TU  or RR 5NN TU
DX - TU  

599 is often transmitted as 5NN.

It helps to have an electronic keyer with memory. Many radios have it installed. You can save several simple messages like your callsign and R 599 TU programmed. Check your radio's manual. Sending your call 50 times with a paddle gets old real quick. I use a remote control pad with pre-programmed CW messages and only use the paddle if the DX asks a question or wants my name, QTH etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I need the format here so do not sound as ignorant as I am.
View Quote

This is the absolute best part of DX CW QSOs..they follow a very simple (and quick) exchange. I can't add anything to what Derek said, but it is very fun to realize how many more places you can work with CW.
You may feel like you are cheating from time to time but don't worry...this is just the first step in bringing you over to the dark side! this is what happens when you go looking for an antique radio to use as a display piece.

Beginner tip: use the cluster and you can double check the DX callsign...but also make sure you listen to it and make sure it is correct. I've caught quite a few cluster mistakes.

I want stories of bloody fingers...your assignment, should you accept it, is to work split DX in a snowbank with the PRC in CW
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If they send your call correctly, I'd never send it again or he might think he had it wrong the first time.  Then not hear it correctly the second time, and you lose the contact.  It's happened to me before.  If you hear your call correctly, just send 5NN TU.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, here's what I'm up to and I ain't tellin' you where

BUT

I have been swapping emails with this guy heading out to Outer Slobovia. He's doing a DXpedition of sorts and I ran a couple VOCAP scenarios on prospects.

So did he and he said out best bet was CW.

So I confessed that I was a new guy to CW and that I would need a lot of help. HE said he would keep his ears open for me.

I told him to carefully listen for the guy that sounded like a 7 year old kid reading it off a chart.

He seemed amused.

I just didn't want to sound like more of a dork than I am.

Thanks, guys!

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:I want stories of bloody fingers...your assignment, should you accept it, is to work split DX in a snowbank with the PRC in CW
View Quote

It's bad enough on SSB.

Trust me.

There we wuz. Me an Marconi. Shoulder to shoulder an backs to da snowbank when all of a sudden.....

I took the key that was strapped to my thigh and started pounding out a quick CQ and then......

Then I put fifty bucks along with my QSL card and a coupla weeks later it wuz confirmed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they send your call correctly, I'd never send it again or he might think he had it wrong the first time.  Then not hear it correctly the second time, and you lose the contact.  It's happened to me before.  If you hear your call correctly, just send 5NN TU.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#9]

One of the truest things I have heard in ham radio is that the good ops will slow down to work you.

It's true.

I watched a guy from Mauritas (sp?) slow down for a KK(USA) callsign who was calling him soooo slow and he actually asked the n00b 'RU NEW TECH?" and followed up with 'KK(USA) 599 TU KEEP UP CW!"  I never got the guy, but I tried for another 20 minutes just because I wanted to give him some props.

I recently called CQ for a bit and got a Scottish operator and he chewed my ear off until I had to say "I AM DONE U WORE ME OUT"  He signed and another guy from England then politely asked "RU REALLY QRT MATE, OR WRK 1 MORE?"  Yeah OK, for Britannia!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top