Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 1:07:12 PM EDT
Lets face it, military web gear is designed pretty much, for the worst case scenario.  So its great stuff to have on hand.  

Whats the opinion on which military made the best, and which styles?  Veterans, amongst all, please chime in.

Also, I have some old stuff from vietnam, but it is rather faded.  Is there a good way to re-dye the web gear to get it looking somewhat original?  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Worst case scenario? It was designed for use. I use the old US LBE. Nothing wrong with it, it worked as issued gear for decades.

If the piece is functional, I wouldn't worry about appearance. You aren't trying to impress anyone as an reenactor or something similar.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Please, please, please don't dye your original webgear. Put it away. Prices for some of the older cotton pieces are already going up as they get scarcer. If you want to sell it, put it on the EE. There are retro hounds looking for the stuff.

Now, on to the newer stuff. One of the reasons they went to nylon (aside from rot issues) was the fact that when it gets wet the cotton gear gets very heavy. Think how heavy a cotton towel can get when its sopping wet. The newer nylon gear does not hold water. It will not get signigicantly heavier when wet.

ALICE gear is serviceable in a pinch. If you go that route, make sure you get one of the older nylon "H" harnesses not the "Y" ones. You can balance your load better. Also, you can cut the grenade pockets off the sides of the ammo pouches to get them closer together on your belt. There is a maker that sells new ALICE-ish 30rnd pouches made without the grenade pockets but why buy those when you can just take an Xacto knife to the older models that are much cheaper?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two of the LRAK or ISSAK rifleman kits from blackhawk. They are a great piece of gear only draw back is that they are not modular( which does have a tiny advantage in that you do not have worry about loosing your pouches( you can zip tie them or 550 them) like on alice gear)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top