Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/8/2007 6:52:00 AM EST
The other day I was out looking through thrift shops with my better half and came upon two GI canteen cups. They are brand new so I figured for a buck a piece, what the heck.

My question is...are they made of steel or aluminum? I was looking for a magnet to check, but couldn't find one.

Nice addition to the BOB.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:57:54 AM EST

Made from stainless steel. I have several thanks to my brother in law. It's the only thing I use when I camp or hike. Sure it's not as light weight as the titanium ones but for the price and the ruggedness it can't be beat.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:10:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By ireload:
Made from stainless steel. I have several thanks to my brother in law. It's the only thing I use when I camp or hike. Sure it's not as light weight as the titanium ones but for the price and the ruggedness it can't be beat.

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:22:44 AM EST
IMHO the only way to "improve" the current design of the canteen cup is to update the design so that instead of going over a USGI canteen they go over a 1L Nalgine bottle. Other than that I believe the canteen cup is the tip of the spear as far as survival/ field cups.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:03:11 AM EST
Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you all to know.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:07:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By HawkCreek:
IMHO the only way to "improve" the current design of the canteen cup is to update the design so that instead of going over a USGI canteen they go over a 1L Nalgine bottle. Other than that I believe the canteen cup is the tip of the spear as far as survival/ field cups.

There are companies that make cups that fit over the 1L Nalgene bottles. I have two of them and they are great.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:34:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By vanrichten:

There are companies that make cups that fit over the 1L Nalgene bottles. I have two of them and they are great.

link?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:36:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By Robertesq1:

Originally Posted By vanrichten:

link?

Cup Found Here
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:29:51 AM EST

I have two of those. I like them a lot more than USGI canteen cups.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:10:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By ireload:

JTA they also have canteen cup stoves witch fit reversed on the cup the the cup goes on the canteen for a nice convenient package.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:10:57 PM EST
Olicamp seems to be the best for consistently fitting on the Nalgene bottles (based on responses I have seen in other forums). I keep running across another brand (GSI) at Bass Pro Shop and Sportsman's Warehouse that are just a tiny bit too small to fit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:25:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 6:25:49 PM EST by AFSOC]
The GSI Cups from Bass Pro Shops for 4.99 each fit a Nalgene just fine. I bought two and they fit great.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:49:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:55:36 PM EST
I have seen titanium cups at Sportsmens warehouse for nag/bottles....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:55:37 PM EST
I have seen titanium cups at Sportsmens warehouse for nag/bottles....
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:42:15 AM EST
ok WX this is the skinny on genine G.I. canteen cups..aluminm cups were made before and during ww2 till about 1943/44 when they switched to a stainless steel or anti rust steel..the style never changed till the early 70's when the handle went from a metal foldout to a wire butterfly type handle...check for a imprint on the handle or cup for a U.S. makers mark/which company made it..if it does not have one you do'nt have a genuine item..yes there were a lot of knockoffs made during the 1970's just make sure you have a genuine item....vince g. 11b inf....
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:00:58 AM EST
It has the stamps that were mentioned. I'm at work now, so I'll check when I get home.

As to the cups that fit Nalgenes...

Be careful as to fit. I bought some and they fit some bottles but not others. Some bottles are 900ml and others are labled 1000ml.

My cups fit the 900ml but not the 1000ml.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:12:34 AM EST
Snow Peak Ti 700 for my nalgene.
I also have the smaller SS for a coffee cup.

I've got six canteens with cups, dry and stored.
Can't see why I'd use them again, other than to handout to the kids.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:18:35 PM EST
Nalgene cup in action heating some water for a hot beverage in the deer stand. The cup fits perfectly on a Svea 123 stove as well as on a Nalgene bottle.

Top Top