Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 8:20:38 AM EDT
I Helped a friend take down what he called a "water maple."

Is it ok to burn "water maple" in a Hampton insert?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:45:22 AM EDT
I googled "water maple", and it seems to be the same tree as silver maple.
If it is silver maple that is properly dried, it should be fine to use in any woodburning stove or woodburning fireplace insert.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:54:49 AM EDT
I burn pretty much anything that's below 20% moisture content....ash, maple, oak, pine, etc...I've burned them all.  

Go to Lowes/HD and get a "moisture meter".  They are usually by the power saws.  Whatever you are looking at burning, split a piece of it in half and then jam the two probes into the new/fresh surface...if it reads below 20%...and really some say 25%...you're good to go.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:54:51 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-10:
I googled "water maple", and it seems to be the same tree as silver maple.
If it is silver maple that is properly dried, it should be fine to use in any woodburning stove or woodburning fireplace insert.
View Quote

Thank you  I'm about to split in now. Should be ready for next year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:57:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Emt1581:
I burn pretty much anything that's below 20% moisture content....ash, maple, oak, pine, etc...I've burned them all.  

Go to Lowes/HD and get a "moisture meter".  They are usually by the power saws.  Whatever you are looking at burning, split a piece of it in half and then jam the two probes into the new/fresh surface...if it reads below 20%...and really some say 25%...you're good to go.

-Emt1581
View Quote

Great info man. I've never heard of a moisture meter.
I'll be a pickin one up!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:01:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Misinformer:

I'll be a pickin one up!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Misinformer:
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

-Emt1581

I'll be a pickin one up!

Not a problem!

Yeah, most people haven't...including most people selling cords of wood.  They are NOTORIOUS for selling green wood as "seasoned".  I actually had one guy scream/curse at me and came real close to assaulting me because I refused to accept his green wood.  I told him what I was looking for before he got there, I tested several pieces when he pulled up, and he acted outraged when I proved his wood wasn't seasoned.  Now I ALWAYS have a gun on me and at home usually two but I had just got home from work and my pistol was still in the car....then again I was holding an ax....

But yeah, good luck with the meter but be careful who you buy from!

-Emt1581
Top Top