Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2009 4:49:35 AM EDT
There will be alot of pumpkins around shortly and I plan on using some of them this year. We have always dried the seeds and salted them for snacks but this year I think I'm going a little further. I found a recipe in last months Backwoods Home for pumpkin soup and I think I'm going to freeze up a bunch. We'll give it a try. Other than pie filling what else can be done with them?
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a "bunch" of hogs....wild ones that we feed and shoot. That's not a bad idea. I'm actually thinking of going door to door after the holiday and piling up some free pumpkins for that purpose.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pumpkin beer?

ETA: They'd also be great hog food if you have a bunch.

Did you grow any pumpkins?
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Bumping this back up... we bought pumpkins for jack o'lanterns this year, and didn't end up carving them due to time constraints today.  So, how do I turn raw pumpkin into something delicious?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, how do I turn raw pumpkin into something delicious?

Pumpkins can be used just like any other squash in most recipes.  I think there are several recipes in the Chef's Thread.  If not, this would be a good question to post there.

I think most people cook their pumpkin before using it.  It can be baked, steamed, boiled, or cooked in a pressure cooker.  Most people remove the seeds and cut the pumpkin into chunks.  Cook until soft and mash the pulp.   Some peel their pumpkin.  My grandmother washed her pumpkins and left the skin on, then whizzed it in a food processor.  

Recipes usually only call for a cup or two of pulp.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Cut the rind off, clear the insides and seeds and stash them for some delicious roasted seeds.

Cut up the orange inside into good sized chunks, half a fist or so.

Put a good pile of them in a pressure cooker, 2-3 lbs.

Add sugar, 2 lbs pumpkin + 1 of sugar.

Cook well.

Add crushed walnuts.

Eat with some nice whipped cream.

DELICIOUS
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#9]
We've always cleaned, skinned, then cooked down and mashed, then freeze for later use (pies,etc)

Last year, wife baked them, then forze for use.
Easier and came out fine.
Not sure of details, but will check.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#10]

My wife has been making them like any other winer squash, adding some brown surger, some rasins, and mashing it all up.  They are realy good that way.  

most of what we grew went to the pigs though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Make pumpkin butter or put it in couscous.
Make pumpkin bread.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:46:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Ah, I just did this last night. My fiance was over and really wanted some seeds to roast. We had 2 medium sized pumpkins on the porch that didn't get carved up, so I decided I could make pumpkin puree, and she could roast her seeds. I ended up getting about 5 quart bags of puree in the freezer.

It wasn't the best, sweetest, but with dedicated "sugar pumpkins" it would likely be much better.

Sorry, I thought about taking pictures, but then once I got started and got all messy, I forgot all about it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I use them to feed the deer.  

I tried roasting seeds with a sugar and spice coating yesterday but ended up burning them.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top