Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 11:25:11 PM EDT
The other day I dumped 5 gallons of gas I had stored 7 years ago, treated w/pri g and stored in one of the german blitz cans into my pickup, it smelled like normal gas and ran perfectly.  I am convinced that stored in an air tight container and treated with pri g the storage life of gas could be extended to 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I am convinced in an airtight container gas will keep indefinitely.
You do not need "stabilizers"
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Problem is I know of no container that is 100% air tight that is made to store gasoline.
The only close solution would maybe be a propane tank that has been rededicated to hold gasoline.
So the OP's solution of using Pri G in a standard gas can makes more sense. Just saying. And not wanting to start a pp war. My .02

I use pri g also and it is good stuff. But man do the exaust fumes seem like they are more stronger and sooty with the pri g added to let's say a generator that you are using and you get a whiff of the exaust every once in awhile. Here's a bottle I used of it, and it does seem to work wonders on gas.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure some "forgotten" gas in 5 gallon Euro cans that was put up with PRI-G was at least 10 years old when it surfaced and was rotated.

Rotated 7 year old gas now put up with PRI-G without a problem.

It's a good product. Keep in mind you don't have to use the entire bottle at once. A quart will do over 500 gallons but the little squeeze measurement thing on the side works well for smaller quantities.

I've never had a problem using OVER the qty. per gallon amount- for all you analytical types ;)
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I use old 100 pound propane cylinders. No mods needed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#5]
There lots of fuel cans that are "air tight" for all practical purposes.

The reason the genny stinks when running snake oil laced fuel is the same reason it would stink if you laced the fuel with MINERAL SPIRITS, Stoddard Solvent, etc.

Because that's the overwhelming ingredient in these snake oils.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The fuels if stored properly THAT worked fine 10 years later --will most likely work fine with or with out snake oils.

The fuel laced with snake oil will smell worse. prolly.  

The fact that fuel worked OK with snake oil doesn't DISHPROVE that it wouldn't have worked FINE if it weren't.

It never ceases to amaze me how folks have no LOGICAL clue about proving or not proving a DOUBLE NEGATIVE.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#7]
It also surprises me how folks refuse to dial up the MSDS for snake oil and see what's in it...  

And instead they bleat about how it's the best stuff since sliced bread.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Problem is I know of no container that is 100% air tight that is made to store gasoline.
The only close solution would maybe be a propane tank that has been rededicated to hold gasoline.
So the OP's solution of using Pri G in a standard gas can makes more sense. Just saying. And not wanting to start a pp war. My .02

I use pri g also and it is good stuff. But man do the exaust fumes seem like they are more stronger and sooty with the pri g added to let's say a generator that you are using and you get a whiff of the exaust every once in awhile. Here's a bottle I used of it, and it does seem to work wonders on gas.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd suggest you get out more.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It also surprises me how folks refuse to dial up the MSDS for snake oil and see what's in it...  

And instead they bleat about how it's the best stuff since sliced bread.  
View Quote

I looked up one of them once, can't remember if it was Stabil or whatever, but it was a huge majority stoddard solvant, a little Kerosene, and some dye.

If it didn't have dye it would make ok paint thinner.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you put the little" black eyed face " at the end of your post, But.
Yes there are metal containers out there that can be used to store gasoline air tight.
But can it be done safely without the fear of the container rupturing or rotting away after a few years.

Plastic cans - dangerous to say the least for long term storage.
Old jerry cans - a safer option however it's still questionable on being airtight.
55 gallon steel drums - a better way to store gas if done correctly, but still not a very safe way.

Gasoline expands and contracts with heat and coldness. There fore all gas cans are designed to vent somehow.
In the case of some plastic jugs that do seal air right they use the theory of the tank can swell to a certain degree to allow for expansion.
However after years of this type expansion and contraction of cans it can ( a big if) weaken them causing them to become weak and split.
Metal cans that are factory designed for gasoline have some type of pressure relief on them (except old jerry cans) and this allows some outside air in and out.
Sorry but the laws of physics are in play here along with what's safe and what's not safe.
Since I don't store gasoline in my house were the ambient temperature is constant, my tanks are in an unheated, un air-conditioned out building. The temp my be as high as 100 degrees summer and in the single digits in the winter here. So with that said, how can gasoline that is a liquid, safely be stored in factory DOT fuel cans be stored that are what some claim to be air tight?

How a plastic can looks when gasoline expands. Is that safe?

What can happen if a gasoline can does not vent.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#11]
This is how I store gasoline in quantity the safest way I know how.

The metal tank has been inspected for no weak areas or major rust.
The tank has a vented cap to release high pressure.
The tank is made of heavy gauge steel and for long term storage of petroleum products.
The tank is under a shaded area to prevent direct sunlight from shining directly on the tank, this helps prevent expansion and contractions and helps prevent condensation from building within the tank, Also cooler fuel temps helps stop the degradation of the gasolines octane rating.
The tank is stored away from my house at a safe distance.
The tank is grounded with a ground rod and straps.
I keep in my mind also for future improvements on how to improve on my setup. (A knee wall dike, comes to mind)
My gasoline is rotated out and used, however I do treat it just to make me feel good and if it needs to go the distance should the SHTF.

This isn't a game with me it's about doing it the right way to the best of your ability and in a safe fashion. I cannot by law bury the tank without the proper license and permits that I cannot aquire here at my place, Just wanted to throw that out there.
I hate doing things in a quick hap hazard way only to regret in the future when things go wrong of not doing them in the right way.
If anyone else has a better way to store gasoline that they are practicing I am all eyes and ears and want to see pictures.

My gas tank.

The type fuel, I use.

My retired way to store fuel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's the MSDS for PRI G.  Looks like there are several components to it.  

PRI G MSDS

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/Farming/4648EBBA-6C93-49F1-A808-7F78BC113631-4890-00000900DF129CC4_zps4f6f2d43.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/Farming/4648EBBA-6C93-49F1-A808-7F78BC113631-4890-00000900DF129CC4_zps4f6f2d43.jpg</a>
View Quote

That, unfortunately, looks a lot like my current gas storage situation, and I hate it.

I've been seriously considering a bulk storage farm tank now that gas prices are so low.  No bargains to be found in this area right now, strangely enough.  
Also thinking about a 55g drum, but would have to build some kind of mini-shed to store it somewhere.  Don't want it in my garage/workshop building.

Wish jerry cans were cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That, unfortunately, looks a lot like my current gas storage situation, and I hate it.

I've been seriously considering a bulk storage farm tank now that gas prices are so low.  No bargains to be found in this area right now, strangely enough.  
Also thinking about a 55g drum, but would have to build some kind of mini-shed to store it somewhere.  Don't want it in my garage/workshop building.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/Farming/4648EBBA-6C93-49F1-A808-7F78BC113631-4890-00000900DF129CC4_zps4f6f2d43.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/Farming/4648EBBA-6C93-49F1-A808-7F78BC113631-4890-00000900DF129CC4_zps4f6f2d43.jpg</a>

There's nothing wrong at all with the plastic  jugs for short term storage of gasoline.
With that said, If you had time and could see a SHTF event about to unfold, and had time to go to the gas station and get spare gas then this would be an good way to store extra gasoline, But I don't own a crystal ball.
However if you want to have gasoline on hand for long term storage, because you are afraid there could be a major SHTF event that happens immediately, then the plastic jugs are not a good choice.
And what I have against 55 gallon drums is you can't tell what the bottom of them look like once filled due to weight and this is where they are proned to rust out and leak. They are made of thin steel. 55 gallon drums stored on top of boards and then on concrete to help keep the bottom of them dry is the preferred way if this is your only means of large storage of gasoline. If you have ever had to help clean up a large fuel spill ( I have elsewhere ) it's a hassle and not cheap to do. And the smell will linger on on on and on where it happened.
You can come back later and uncap the soil years later and still smell the stale gas odor unless all contaminated soil is removed and let to sit out too sun bleach.
Seen several farmers have gas spills with storing gas in the wrong fashion.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes there are metal containers out there that can be used to store gasoline air tight.
But can it be done safely without the fear of the container rupturing or rotting away after a few years.

Old jerry cans - a safer option however it's still questionable on being airtight.
55 gallon steel drums - a better way to store gas if done correctly, but still not a very safe way.

Gasoline expands and contracts with heat and coldness. There fore all gas cans are designed to vent somehow.
In the case of some plastic jugs that do seal air right they use the theory of the tank can swell to a certain degree to allow for expansion.
However after years of this type expansion and contraction of cans it can ( a big if) weaken them causing them to become weak and split.
Metal cans that are factory designed for gasoline have some type of pressure relief on them (except old jerry cans) and this allows some outside air in and out.
Sorry but the laws of physics are in play here along with what's safe and what's not safe.
Since I don't store gasoline in my house were the ambient temperature is constant, my tanks are in an unheated, un air-conditioned out building. The temp my be as high as 100 degrees summer and in the single digits in the winter here. So with that said, how can gasoline that is a liquid, safely be stored in factory DOT fuel cans be stored that are what some claim to be air tight?

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/1DD186F2-624E-4FB5-9EDA-2A462241EC20_zpsav80vhux.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/1DD186F2-624E-4FB5-9EDA-2A462241EC20_zpsav80vhux.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/B726541D-ACC2-4A75-AE53-C3F1E4DD6160_zpsxerbmyfn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/B726541D-ACC2-4A75-AE53-C3F1E4DD6160_zpsxerbmyfn.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/1DD186F2-624E-4FB5-9EDA-2A462241EC20_zpsav80vhux.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/1DD186F2-624E-4FB5-9EDA-2A462241EC20_zpsav80vhux.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/B726541D-ACC2-4A75-AE53-C3F1E4DD6160_zpsxerbmyfn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/B726541D-ACC2-4A75-AE53-C3F1E4DD6160_zpsxerbmyfn.jpg</a>

So much derp ^^^ I don't even know where to start.

You do have a nice bulk storage tank setup in your next post and pix, and so I wonder how you can have so much derp in one post and so much competency in another?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You do have a nice bulk storage tank setup in your next post and pix, and so I wonder how you can have so much derp in one post and so much competency in another?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I rode on the little school bus to the clinic and learned a little bit. LOL
DERP Derp Derp is me.........LOL
You can call me what you like, I got pretty thick skin. But I tried a lot of ways to store gas. And I know what worked for me and did'nt

Heres my DERP diesel fuel setup.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]
The fuel cap on my gasoline tank to let gas pressure escape safely.

My ground wire connected to a ground rod, for static electricity discharge.

These next few pictures are posted to show my dog and the relevance of him and gasoline storage (Their is none)
But Im DERP.

My dog reading to me what the post says since I'm illiterate.

My dog looking at me in his baby carriage.
Whoops this is a DERP post ain't it?

My dog dressed up like a fireman. Really Derp aint it. LOL

My dog dressed up like a clown. More Derp

My dog loves Egyptian cotton towels.

My dog at McDonalds

My dog loves walmart.

My dog loves Target.

My dog voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 so we got this painting of him and the potus.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/AR15%20Stuff/DSCN1450.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/AR15%20Stuff/DSCN1450.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/AR15%20Stuff/DSCN1451.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/AR15%20Stuff/DSCN1451.jpg</a>

These next few pictures are posted to show my dog and the relevance of him and gasoline storage (Their is none)
But Im DERP.

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/289495EB-A11E-4170-A067-747A22618077_zpsr8orgp1s.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/289495EB-A11E-4170-A067-747A22618077_zpsr8orgp1s.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/1375BBBA-594D-46A0-9A87-EACD89C2E62F_zps9wcgq6ne.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/1375BBBA-594D-46A0-9A87-EACD89C2E62F_zps9wcgq6ne.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/12CBB52F-4D88-425D-9ABE-A00B455138BC_zps8uyrj0k4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/12CBB52F-4D88-425D-9ABE-A00B455138BC_zps8uyrj0k4.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/3DE69545-5097-4EDF-9572-272CA6A0385C_zpslwyby978.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/3DE69545-5097-4EDF-9572-272CA6A0385C_zpslwyby978.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/363A28DF-B84D-4CB3-8769-A400757C8958_zpsnrnjcu1s.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/363A28DF-B84D-4CB3-8769-A400757C8958_zpsnrnjcu1s.jpg</a>

My dog at McDonalds
<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/92FDD89E-CD6B-4CB8-A0E0-26654FFAD125_zpsh0ufy8ay.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/92FDD89E-CD6B-4CB8-A0E0-26654FFAD125_zpsh0ufy8ay.jpg</a>

My dog voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 so we got this painting of him and the potus.
<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/5BB8CAFE-618C-46A9-B30A-A7601C625A27_zpskwcf7er6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/5BB8CAFE-618C-46A9-B30A-A7601C625A27_zpskwcf7er6.jpg</a>

View Quote

As I complimented you above ^^^, nice tank set-up...  

From two posts above -Quote:

"You do have a nice bulk storage tank setup in your next post and pix, and so I wonder how you can have so much derp in one post and so much competency in another?"

Did you fail to comprehend?  

Before getting tunnel vision and over-reacting?  

BTW, cute dog...  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"You do have a nice bulk storage tank setup in your next post and pix, and so I wonder how you can have so much derp in one post and so much competency in another?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/AR15%20Stuff/DSCN1450.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/AR15%20Stuff/DSCN1450.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/AR15%20Stuff/DSCN1451.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/AR15%20Stuff/DSCN1451.jpg</a>

But Im DERP.

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/289495EB-A11E-4170-A067-747A22618077_zpsr8orgp1s.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/289495EB-A11E-4170-A067-747A22618077_zpsr8orgp1s.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/1375BBBA-594D-46A0-9A87-EACD89C2E62F_zps9wcgq6ne.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/1375BBBA-594D-46A0-9A87-EACD89C2E62F_zps9wcgq6ne.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/12CBB52F-4D88-425D-9ABE-A00B455138BC_zps8uyrj0k4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/12CBB52F-4D88-425D-9ABE-A00B455138BC_zps8uyrj0k4.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/3DE69545-5097-4EDF-9572-272CA6A0385C_zpslwyby978.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/3DE69545-5097-4EDF-9572-272CA6A0385C_zpslwyby978.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/363A28DF-B84D-4CB3-8769-A400757C8958_zpsnrnjcu1s.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/363A28DF-B84D-4CB3-8769-A400757C8958_zpsnrnjcu1s.jpg</a>

My dog at McDonalds
<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/92FDD89E-CD6B-4CB8-A0E0-26654FFAD125_zpsh0ufy8ay.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/92FDD89E-CD6B-4CB8-A0E0-26654FFAD125_zpsh0ufy8ay.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/5BB8CAFE-618C-46A9-B30A-A7601C625A27_zpskwcf7er6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/5BB8CAFE-618C-46A9-B30A-A7601C625A27_zpskwcf7er6.jpg</a>

Derp is an expression associated with stupidity is it not?
I dont over react, I'm cut up.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I think so...

The post I was referring to was pretty stupid, wasn't it???

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Let me take a stab at bringing clarity to Rockyriver's insistence that gasoline storage containers are designed to release pressure and EXPY37's disagreement.

I think what this disagreement comes down to is the volume of gasoline being stored. Let me explain.

As a container is scaled up in size after a certain point (depending on its shape) the volume of the container increases at a greater rate than its surface area. Thus, a large 1000 gallon fuel tank has a much greater volume for its surface area than does a five gallon nato jerry can.  The 5 gallon nato fuel can has more surface area per unit of fuel than the 1000 gallon fuel tank. This is critical when it comes to the expansion of gasoline due to temperature. Since the 5 gallon nato fuel can has more surface area per unit of fuel it can more easily handle the expansion of its volume before failure.

Now, I own many 5 gallon nato fuel cans and I can tell you that they are air tight and they do expand and contract depending on the temperature. I have never smelled one vent any gasoline nor do they look designed to release pressure. I have never had one fail due to pressure (or any reason for that matter). I believe this is the point that EXPY37 is trying to make. I also own two large fuel tanks and they almost certainly are designed to release pressure and I think this is the point that Rockyriver is trying to make.

In summary, depending on the size of the container you are both right.

Lastly, EXPY37, I think you are a great asset to this community, wise, and a great person. But you really need to reconsider how you have been treating people lately (particularly those you disagree with or consider foolish) and you need to re-read the rules of this forum. Consider this a kind nudge.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#22]
"Let me take a stab at bringing clarity to Rockyriver's insistence that gasoline storage containers are designed to release pressure and EXPY37's disagreement."

First, I appreciate your comment and I'll try not to be so much of an ass.

2nd, I'm not sure you understand my position... OR more likely I've been communicating poorly ---a complex technical subject.

I wholly agree that Rocky's storage containers ARE and SHOULD BE, designed to release pressure with the pressure release caps he's provided pix of.

I have complimented Rocky REPEATEDLY on his installation.

His storage tanks aren't an issue and I don't understand how you came to that conclusion. [My issue was with a previous post where he asserted ALL FUEL CANS LEAK or something like that, the post prior to his pix posts, where I suggested he get out more.]

What I DO assert is that fuel storage containers should have the ability to RELEASE pressure long before they go KABOOM...

And NOT release pressure at such a low calibration that important fuel fractions are lost.

Additionally, I assert that filling a propane cylinder with GASOLINE, and screwing the valve back in ---creates the potential for a fuel-air bum.

That it is IRRESPONSIBLE. [Without full technical understanding of the tank's pressure relief valve function with gasoline]

I think, in that case, some sort of pressure relief valve should be installed, even a thinned out PVC plug, so that internal tank pressures in the event of a fire, can't reach internal pressure to the point where a tank [pressure vessel like a propane tank] could rupture. With disastrous consequences, beyond just a fire. See the vid I posted with the tank DETONATION, with a technical explanation.

This pretty much sums up my position on pressure vessel [tanks] pressure relief needs.

I think you've correctly summed up my position on the ability of quality fuel cans not to vent vapors and not allow moisture to get in, when properly closed.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for explaining EXPY and as usual I think you are right on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm speaking in a calm fashion not arguing. No pp war wanted. But.
The statement about the rededicated propane tank turned into a gasoline tank was me just saying that was "the only way I know to be truly air tight" I'm not by any means saying to do that.
I used the plastic jugs for several years but saw a potential problem with them, so now they sit empty and are for emergency use only.

Does this red jug look safe in the picture below? What may happen if that jug swells and then contracts after a few years? Just askin.

It's not my picture, but is just an example.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I have always kept my LTS gas cans full, and I do see them expand and contract, even in the relatively mild temp swings in my basement. I always thought it was best to minimize headspace to prevent volatile compounds from escaping in the container.

But in a case where you have a sealed container that isn't designed to expel overpressure( such as a metal drum) , should we allow extra headspace and maybe only fill to 80%?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have always kept my LTS gas cans full, and I do see them expand and contract, even in the relatively mild temp swings in my basement. I always thought it was best to minimize headspace to prevent volatile compounds from escaping in the container.

But in a case where you have a sealed container that isn't designed to expel overpressure( such as a metal drum) , should we allow extra headspace and maybe only fill to 80%?
View Quote

That's the rule with [incompressible liquid] propane...

I'd say that would be a good idea if you want to be sure gasoline and diesel won't be all over the floor after a tank is subjected to wild temp excursions. A check of gasoline expansion charts would be a more accurate way to make a decision, but I like to be conservative with things like this.

As far as quality plastic fuel cans like the Scepters, I think filling them near the top with a couple inch gap is fine. It's what we do and no issue. The same with metal cans.

We store water in 120 gallon poly farm tanks and it's interesting the first time they froze to see the water frozen and extruded out the top with the cap sitting on the column...  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't care how you keep your fuel, But you keep gas in your basement? A house near me caught on fire about 13 years ago and killed a fire fighter.
The home owner was going to be charged with involuntary man slaughter, But later was not. See link below.

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Josh-Early/168508831

x
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm speaking in a calm fashion not arguing. No pp war wanted. But.
The statement about the rededicated propane tank turned into a gasoline tank was me just saying that was "the only way I know to be truly air tight" I'm not by any means saying to do that.
I used the plastic jugs for several years but saw a potential problem with them, so now they sit empty and are for emergency use only.

Does this red jug look safe in the picture below? What may happen if that jug swells and then contracts after a few years? Just askin.

It's not my picture, but is just an example.

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/1DD186F2-624E-4FB5-9EDA-2A462241EC20_zps4umpuczk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/1DD186F2-624E-4FB5-9EDA-2A462241EC20_zps4umpuczk.jpg</a>
View Quote

Hey, that's my picture....    
and you used it without my express written......  
Ha, J/K

But that is exactly why I store my fuels in the MFC's vs. the Walmart cans. (although both are made by Scepter).

As I recall, I took that picture in the summer with the ambient temperature well over 100.

although,
now I wonder if the pressure inside the MFC's is the same as the Walmart cans,
but they are just not as swollen due to the thicker construction materials.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top