Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2010 8:30:32 PM EDT
Just found out about the TS. Low cash and empty tanks on both vehicles. Talk about getting caught flat footed. I know it isn't much more than rain and a little wind, but it could have been serious.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:41:43 PM EDT
been there before, i have a diesel cash stash to have just in case i need it. its not much but will get me to fl and back 3 times in my truck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:03:32 PM EDT
Cash stash is vital for SHTF.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:21:13 PM EDT
As a routine habit, the fuel tanks in the sedan and pickup are NEVER allowed to drop below the halfway mark - That's at least 20 gallons of fresh gasoline on hand at all times. Both vehicles also carry siphon hoses which have been tested to work, as well as small gas cans.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:47:30 AM EDT
It did spring up out of nowhere, thats for sure. Im flying into houston this morning and am hoping my flight isnt delayed or redirected.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:33:29 AM EDT
Yeah I was expecting rain today, but pulled up the radar this morning and was like "WTF? A storm eye over the border area???"
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:08:59 AM EDT
I am trying to build up a cash stash, but every time I set money aside something pops up that has to be paid. The wife thinks "E" on the fuel gauge means enough as in "...enough to get where I'm going."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:58:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
I am trying to build up a cash stash, but every time I set money aside something pops up that has to be paid. The wife thinks "E" on the fuel gauge means enough as in "...enough to get where I'm going."

Pull the fuse to the fuel pump and let her push that car 30 yards Might change her priorities.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:48:36 AM EDT
Wife thinks the same thing about hers as well.
OP, it may not work for you but I have a hurricane app on my phone I check everyday during the season just to make sure.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:31:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:

Mine is the same, I found it easier to just keep her car full. She drives the Excursion most of the time, so every other week or so I take it and fill it up for her. She thinks I'm being nice, I just don't like having it below 1/2 a tank...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:50:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hosel-Hit:
Wife thinks the same thing about hers as well.
OP, it may not work for you but I have a hurricane app on my phone I check everyday during the season just to make sure.

I let my guard down on the weather. I am up most nights working and haven't been checking the forecast lately. I am currently going back to iPhone from the Captivate so I will wait til I move back. Are there any prep apps for iPhone?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:08:20 PM EDT
Right now I use hurricane tracker for the iphone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 4:13:24 PM EDT by skunkwerx]
Shooter-gregg,

I applaud you for posting your situation, I'm sure you know better and will do better next time.
By posting it, you my help others, hopefully it will strike a nerve with some folks in hurricane-possible areas to keep it in mind during the "season".

Earl glanced by the coast, no biggie for us, but I did top off vehicle tanks, and made sure to fill the generator cans, just in case.
Also mixed fresh 2-stroke for the chain saw, all done 48 to 36 hours in advance of it , JUST IN CASE.

Another month-and-a-half or so to keep an eye on the tropical waves.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:34:09 PM EDT
Maybe you can go buy a couple of extra fuel cans that equal half a tank of gas in your wife's vehicle. You keep them full and then E really will be enough.

The only other thing I think you can do is to keep quietly reminding her. The quiet reminders has only been partially effective for me. The couple extra full cans has been fool proof.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:40:30 PM EDT
I dont mean to totally derail this thread, but I did end up getting stranded at Houston International. I carry a good chunk of cash for just such an occasion. Some vendors in the airport were having problems with their credit card machines and people were getting pissed. Always have a couple hundred on hand at the very least if you can
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:32:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By soncorn:
Maybe you can go buy a couple of extra fuel cans that equal half a tank of gas in your wife's vehicle. You keep them full and then E really will be enough.

The only other thing I think you can do is to keep quietly reminding her. The quiet reminders has only been partially effective for me. The couple extra full cans has been fool proof.

Somebody needs to develop a gadget that connects to the fuel gauge sender wire, and makes the fuel gauge read "E" whenever the fuel tank level reaches the halfway mark...
Top Top