Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 3:39:42 PM EDT
What are the best years/engines for an alternate fuel Ford f250?  I know the Dodges are simpler and preferred by some but I gotta have four doors/Super Cab and Dodge was late as hell to that party.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the 7.3L was made until 02. Excursions are easier to find with reasonable mileage if that works for you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
94.5-97 7.3L Powerstroke are the best.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Far as I can tell they only made the quad cab from 96-97. Are the early "new models"99-02 say, running the 7.3 substantially different?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
2003 Was last year for 7.3 Powerstrokes unless special ordered.Older trucks with steel tanks are having problems with the tank liners peeling from the new diesel.6.0s Dont like vegetable oil unless its heated and you have great filters.The 7.3 runs great on vegetable oil even in cold weather.I run a veggie blend in my van for 1.00 a gallon!OPEC can kiss my redneck azz!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a '93 F350, 8', crew cab, 4X4, with a normally aspirated 7.3 that was a BEAST!

A little slow to get going, but once I got her up on plane, she would ROLL!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a '93 F350, 8', crew cab, 4X4, with a normally aspirated 7.3 that was a BEAST!

So maybe in the 350 the quad cab was available earlier? Cool.

We're there any changes to the 7.3 before it was phased out in '02 that would have made some years more desireable than others- would the early 90's trucks be a better choice? The later year model trucks will be easier to find, easier to find parts etc....the '99 F250 sold like friggen hotcakes here in Texas.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a 99 7.3 thing runs great also have an 05 diesel forget the number 6 something the things a piece of shit. Continuous software updates 3 turbos and a rear main seal all before 50,000 miles. Built ford tough doesn't mean what it used to, only owned ford the last 30 years and the 05 will be my last I don't even work it god knows were I'd be then, broke no doubt.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Ford made the last years of the 7.3 Powerstroke from 99 to 2003. Try to find a 99 to 2001 if you can, most of them had forged metal rods, sometime in late 2001 and early 2002, they went to powder metal rods. If you plan on adding any major power mods, it's nice to have the forged rods, some say they add value to the truck. If you don't mind shifting, try to get a six speed manual, they are awesome, save fuel and most will last as long as the motor with just a clutch change or two. The automatic transmission is the weak point in most diesel trucks. In a few years, a manual transmission in trucks will not be a option, from my understanding, the new Ford Super Duty trucks don't even have a manual tranny option.

The 7.3 motors are some of the best diesel pickup engines ever made. If taken care of, they can make it to 500K miles and beyond, parts are easy to get and will be around for a many years. Considering most new diesel trucks are at, near or above $40K to $50k new, a used 7.3 diesel is a good investment. Even if you have to put a few thousand into the truck to get the transmission rebuilt or other systems repaired, you are still way ahead vs. making new truck payments and the high car ins that goes along with it.

The 7.3 Fords and the 12V Dodge trucks are quickly turning into a cult classic. The popularity of these trucks will contine to increase if the EPA keeps making insane policy and the price of new diesel trucks continues to climb beyond the reach of the average guy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
So the ideal alt fuel Ford then would be a 99-01 with the 7.3?

Honestly that won't be all that hard to find. When the "new" Fords came out, they sold like a MOFO down here. EVERYONE and their dog had to have one.  There's probably a half a dozen for sale at any time in the local Want Ad's paper. Cool. Just need to find one that's not thrashed......
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Late model year build '97 F250 7.3 powerstroke 4x4, one of the last off the line special ordered by a Ford exec.  I present "The Redneck Limo".

205k miles & just getting broke in.

My mother has a '96 F350 extend cab with 7.3, 180k miles & only a cam position sensor needed attention.  My brother's '95 F350 7.3 4 door also needed a cam pos sensor.  His has 240k rode hard put away wet miles.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Any 7.3 FORD Will run On at least 50% waste trans fluid. My dad has a 95 power stroke And we have run it on 50 to 60% waste trans fluid for over 4 years.

I am a Ford mechanic and get the waste fluid for free.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
2003 Was last year for 7.3 Powerstrokes unless special ordered.Older trucks with steel tanks are having problems with the tank liners peeling from the new diesel.6.0s Dont like vegetable oil unless its heated and you have great filters.The 7.3 runs great on vegetable oil even in cold weather.I run a veggie blend in my van for 1.00 a gallon!OPEC can kiss my redneck azz!

Actually, in cold weather anything will struggle w/ vegetable oil b/c it gels below about 50 or so degrees, so regardless of which diesel you own, cold weather use will require a preheat.  

From the research I've done, the 7.3 is a more forgiving of fuel variety.  IIRC the newer engines have more temperamental injectors.  Alt fuels will still work, just need to be more fastidious in your filtering/mixing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Any 7.3 FORD Will run On at least 50% waste trans fluid. My dad has a 95 power stroke And we have run it on 50 to 60% waste trans fluid for over 4 years.

I use waste transmission fluid in my Lister, have a great source for it actually. Good to know. I'm off in search of a 00-01 F250, Supercrew 7.3.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 2001 7.3 and I'm wondering what would be the best alt. fuel one could do affordably on a relatively 'mass' scale? (I'll probably need about 25 gallons per week.)

Pretty soon I'll be driving 50 miles per day, 5x per week for work, which is usually roughly about a tank a week after I calculate all of my other driving as well. Last time I filled up it cost $90 so I'm thinking I'll be spending around $360 per month in diesel.

I've been considering selling and getting something more fuel efficient, but it really is a nice comfortable truck and the idea of an alt. fuel is very appealing, especially if it can cut my fuel costs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Set up a filtering rig like this one, and run 20% waste motor oil:

10 micron filter followed by a 2 micron filter.  

Ops
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#16]

I have a 2001 7.3 and I'm wondering what would be the best alt. fuel one could do affordably on a relatively 'mass' scale? (I'll probably need about 25 gallons per week.)

You may be asking the wrong question. The real question is what can I find and make work? If you have access to waste motor oil then that is what you use. Got a brother that owns a restaurant with access to waste veggie oil? Then that's what you use. In my case I have as clients a guy that owns a transmission shop and a guy that owns a diesel truck service center- they do trans. oil changes, gear oil changes and of course oil changes. So I have access to transmission fluid and lots of gear and motor oil. That's what I use.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ford made the last years of the 7.3 Powerstroke from 99 to 2003. Try to find a 99 to 2001

The 7.3 motors are some of the best diesel pickup engines ever made. If taken care of, they can make it to 500K miles and beyond, parts are easy to get and will be around for a many years. Considering most new diesel trucks are at, near or above $40K to $50k new, a used 7.3 diesel is a good investment. Even if you have to put a few thousand into the truck to get the transmission rebuilt or other systems repaired, you are still way ahead vs. making new truck payments and the high car ins that goes along with it.

The 7.3 Fords and the 12V Dodge trucks are quickly turning into a cult classic. The popularity of these trucks will contine to increase if the EPA keeps making insane policy and the price of new diesel trucks continues to climb beyond the reach of the average guy.

LOVE my 2002 7.3 4x4 Crew Cab...245K on the clock, only a water pump so far.  It's not uber-quick like the later models, but I've seen E350 (7.3) vans for hospital transport with 500K+ and still going strong.  Paid a premium for mine ($16,500 with 196K from 2nd owner 4 years ago), and glad I did,  3 more payments, and she is "MINE"!
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I use waste transmission fluid in my Lister, have a great source for it actually. Good to know. I'm off in search of a 00-01 F250, Supercrew 7.3.

You lucky bastard, you've got a Lister.  I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#19]
You lucky bastard, you've got a Lister. I'm jealous.

Yes and mine is an actual Lister not an Indian knock off. I have a good friend that imports Land Rovers from Australia. He has a buyer that scrounges them up, takes picks and then arranges transport of them to the states. They come into the Port of Houston actually. Several years ago I had his buyer find me a Lister, price was right and my buddy didn't charge me anything to have it shipped as it went into the bed of a pickup- they charge by the container- not the weight. His buyer is damn sharp and I was really surprised about how nice the thing was, while obviously used I really don't think it had been used much. I have done quite a bit with it- radiator install, disassemble, check and repaint etc.....I have a 1500 gallon stainless steel tank that feeds it transmission fluid etc.....Post SHTF...we'll have plenty of juice and hot water for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You lucky bastard, you've got a Lister. I'm jealous.

Yes and mine is an actual Lister not an Indian knock off. I have a good friend that imports Land Rovers from Australia. He has a buyer that scrounges them up, takes picks and then arranges transport of them to the states. They come into the Port of Houston actually. Several years ago I had his buyer find me a Lister, price was right and my buddy didn't charge me anything to have it shipped as it went into the bed of a pickup- they charge by the container- not the weight. His buyer is damn sharp and I was really surprised about how nice the thing was, while obviously used I really don't think it had been used much. I have done quite a bit with it- radiator install, disassemble, check and repaint etc.....I have a 1500 gallon stainless steel tank that feeds it transmission fluid etc.....Post SHTF...we'll have plenty of juice and hot water for a long, long time.

OK, now I'm really jealous and kinda miffed you haven't made a thread showing your handy work.  Now that opsec's been breached, let's see it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#21]
OK, now I'm really jealous and kinda miffed you haven't made a thread showing your handy work. Now that opsec's been breached, let's see it

See what I can do next time I'm out at the BOL.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a normally aspirated 7.3L F350 to pull the race car trailer.  Wouldn't get out of it's own way.  It would pull anything...just not very fast.  I traded an 01 with a turbo and 7.3.  World of difference in performance. No 6.0L, know lots of guys with them and they all have had problems.  Throw in another $400 for a chip and you can get another 100HP out of it.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OK, now I'm really jealous and kinda miffed you haven't made a thread showing your handy work. Now that opsec's been breached, let's see it

See what I can do next time I'm out at the BOL.

Look forward to it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#24]
i have a 90 f350 4 door 4x4 with the 7.3 but it does not have the turbo on it. it runs great. pulls good size trees out of the woods and when pluged in will start right up when the temp goes below 0. not fast but it pulls good. it will run 75 down the high way with no problem. just does not have a lot of pick up and go.

stuck
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#25]
The 94.5-97 7.3 turbodiesels are all forged rod engines, and they all have a mechanical fuel pump in what most would call the "intake valley" sort of under the turbo.
There are a number of kits to add regulated-return electric fuel systems to these trucks. They did not come with intercoolers, but the aftermarket is huge and, strangely enough, growing as the popularity of the 7.3 grows due to absurd pricing and all the emission crap on the new stuff.
The highest HP rating for these in factory trim was 225 in late '97. You can easily, without hurting them, move that number to in excess of 400 streetable HP.
In the F-350 mode, the trucks have a leaf sprung Dana 60 in the front.
These trucks respond well to the usual diesel mods, and there are a number of tuners out there that can build specific multipath tuning for your specific mods and needs.
Buying an off the shelf"tuner" is a waste of time, imho.

The 99.5 thru 2003ish 7.3's have an electric fuel pump that is mounted down on the frame. The turbo is different, as is the mounting pedistal and they are intercooled from the factory. The powdered metal rods came along in late 02, offically, but I have seen blocks as late as Feb 03 with forged ones, so who knows for sure. These trucks also have 4 wheel disc brakes.
Again, the aftermarket is strong for these trucks.
I have a 1997 F-350 crew cab 4x4 dually longbed that I bought new in early 1998. I have extensively modded it and continue to do so as it is my primary BOV. I regularly move 20k GCVW over a 7200 ft. pass with it and it performs well. I don't drive it every day, so it still has less than 95k on it. I know several guys playing with alternative fuels but have not made the move yet.
When you get one, do some research on the PCM and IDM codes and programming, and do yourself a favor and buy a couple of spares and stash them. Also, get a couple of Cam position sensors, throw one in the glove box and stash the other. I have put away a good suppply of spares and critical electronics for the truck, and will continue to do so as long as I can hit the bonyards every once in awhile. I am debating whether to focus on a Cummins conversion down the road, or buying another 7.3 forged long block and stashing it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#26]
The 94.5-97 7.3 turbodiesels are all forged rod engines, and they all have a mechanical fuel pump in what most would call the "intake valley" sort of under the turbo.
There are a number of kits to add regulated-return electric fuel systems to these trucks. They did not come with intercoolers, but the aftermarket is huge and, strangely enough, growing as the popularity of the 7.3 grows due to absurd pricing and all the emission crap on the new stuff.
The highest HP rating for these in factory trim was 225 in late '97. You can easily, without hurting them, move that number to in excess of 400 streetable HP.
In the F-350 mode, the trucks have a leaf sprung Dana 60 in the front.
These trucks respond well to the usual diesel mods, and there are a number of tuners out there that can build specific multipath tuning for your specific mods and needs.
Buying an off the shelf"tuner" is a waste of time, imho.

The 99.5 thru 2003ish 7.3's have an electric fuel pump that is mounted down on the frame. The turbo is different, as is the mounting pedistal and they are intercooled from the factory. The powdered metal rods came along in late 02, offically, but I have seen blocks as late as Feb 03 with forged ones, so who knows for sure. These trucks also have 4 wheel disc brakes.
Again, the aftermarket is strong for these trucks.
I have a 1997 F-350 crew cab 4x4 dually longbed that I bought new in early 1998. I have extensively modded it and continue to do so as it is my primary BOV. I regularly move 20k GCVW over a 7200 ft. pass with it and it performs well. I don't drive it every day, so it still has less than 95k on it. I know several guys playing with alternative fuels but have not made the move yet.
When you get one, do some research on the PCM and IDM codes and programming, and do yourself a favor and buy a couple of spares and stash them. Also, get a couple of Cam position sensors, throw one in the glove box and stash the other. I have put away a good suppply of spares and critical electronics for the truck, and will continue to do so as long as I can hit the bonyards every once in awhile. I am debating whether to focus on a Cummins conversion down the road, or buying another 7.3 forged long block and stashing it.

So, are the 94-97's or the 99-01 trucks preferred for alt fuel? I do like 4 wheel disc brakes!
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#27]
This thread needs more shiny.....

Only thing I would change is I wish I had bench instead of buckets in the front.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top