Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/14/2012 12:24:05 PM EST
I ordered an oz of Potassium permanganate to mix with water to use with glycerin as an extra method of fire starting. Can anyone tell me the ratio of Potassium permanganate to water mixture?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:37:28 PM EST
You dont mix it with water. You just put the powder in one container and the glycerin in another and a small pile (tablespoon of powder) can be lite off with a teaspoon or less of Glycerin aka anti freeze
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:48:16 PM EST
not to jump on a thread here but glycerine and anti freeze are seperate substances IIRC, (wikipedia) glycerine woudl work as an antifreeze but the stuff in your car is likely ethelyen glycol. I still wanna know where I can get this potasium permanginate though, extra fire starters are handy, and what do I do here?

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:49:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
l. I still wanna know where I can get this potasium permanginate though, extra fire starters are handy, and what do I do here?

amazon, get it by the pound
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:02:58 PM EST
Sears sells it for koi ponds, etc.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:03:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

l. I still wanna know where I can get this potasium permanginate though, extra fire starters are handy, and what do I do here?

amazon, get it by the pound

They used to sell it at Sears.
They don't really sell much of anything at Sears anymore though

Lemme see if I can find the old Mr. Wizard clip where they start a fire with water...

Speed
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:06:12 PM EST
not to jump on a thread here but glycerine and anti freeze are seperate substances IIRC, (wikipedia) glycerine woudl work as an antifreeze but the stuff in your car is likely ethelyen glycol. I still wanna know where I can get this potasium permanginate though, extra fire starters are handy, and what do I do here?

I got mine here
and I got some straight glycerin here
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:14:10 PM EST
KFO2N runs ~$15 /pouind at amazon. Forget liquid glycerine - too messy to carry. Instead, use KY Jelly. Yes, THAT KY Jelly. Its mostly glycerine anyway.

ANd it will help if you get caught making a fire by the Deliverance boys...
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:17:48 PM EST
Bought a big jug of it at Home Depot for like $7.

Works with antifreeze. Works best when it's warm. If you throw it together outside right now, don't be dismayed if it takes a while to spark.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:23:38 PM EST
glycerin is available in the vitamin/drug area at walmart
It can also be found with the cake decorating stuff
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:07:05 PM EST
I need to get some too.

I like having options in a survival situation.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:42:10 PM EST
You can ger potassium permanganate cheaper from a farm supply as it is used to reactivate a green sand filter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:08:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/14/2012 11:09:19 PM EST by EXPY37]
Originally Posted By Pharcta2:
KFO2N runs ~$15 /pouind at amazon. Forget liquid glycerine - too messy to carry. Instead, use KY Jelly. Yes, THAT KY Jelly. Its mostly glycerine anyway.

ANd it will help if you get caught making a fire by the Deliverance boys...

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:35:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/14/2012 11:35:20 PM EST by ferfal308]
Originally Posted By cutlass1972:
I ordered an oz of Potassium permanganate to mix with water to use with glycerin as an extra method of fire starting. Can anyone tell me the ratio of Potassium permanganate to water mixture?

Hi, you use to to purify water, not to start fires. Howmuch for water? Put one or two little crystals at a time. Once you notice a slight pink tint, meaning the coloration is visible, then stir, let it rest for a few minutes and that's it. Use a litle more if the water isnt clear.
As for fire, you use a tea spoon of PP and then just drop a few glycerol/glycerin drop over it. Give it a few seconds and well, it burns. This is a video I did explaining this:

FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:31:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By Country_Boy:
You can ger potassium permanganate cheaper from a farm supply as it is used to reactivate a green sand filter.

Do you happen to know a brand name, or a product name they might know it as? Or woudl they actually know it as potassium permanganate?

Originally Posted By HUMONGO:
Bought a big jug of it at Home Depot for like $7.

Works with antifreeze. Works best when it's warm. If you throw it together outside right now, don't be dismayed if it takes a while to spark.

Same question. Do you know a brand name or a description that it is sold under or is it simply called potassium permanganate?

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:02:22 AM EST

Hardware stores carry it in stock . Doesn't vasoline work also?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:09:32 AM EST
I read this as Pomegranate and just had to know more. I am disappoint.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:42:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By mkhllr:
I read this as Pomegranate and just had to know more. I am disappoint.

There is a method of creating fire using a pomegranate. You get a piece of moss off of the side of a tree, rub it on one spot on the pomegranate. It is important to not rub it all over as if you do the method will not work. Next you cut a small slit in the husk of the pomegranate and press a part of the moss inside the slit. After you have gotten some portion of the moss in the slit, remove all of it. Throw the piece of moss away. Once you have completed that step you pour exactly 3.5oz of kerosene on the pomegranate it and use a bic lighter to finish creating the fire.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:51:42 AM EST
Thank you. So what you're saying is that I should keep both Pomegranate AND moss in my BoB? I only had the moss for signaling purposes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:28:33 PM EST

Do you happen to know a brand name, or a product name they might know it as? Or woudl they actually know it as potassium permanganate?

I've seen it as pot perm, or green sand recharge (or refill), or potassium permanganate.

Note if you don't have iron problems in your local area, it may not be available. The fact that 150 miles from me, on the top of the tallest mountain, is a huge statue to the god of iron, ought to tell you something. The neighboring town is called Bessemer (after bessemer process.) I could probally get a magnet to stick to my toilet with all the iron deposits.

I saw it in TSC at one point. Arround here it's available at rural farm/hardware stores.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:52:36 PM EST
Potassium permanganate can be purchased from Ace hardware stores. its in a white plastic bottle with purple writing on it. glycerin can be bought at any drug store in the skin care section.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:58:12 PM EST
Hand sanitizer is a cheaper alternative. Plus it can be used as... hand sanitizer.

I buy the cheap Walgreens stuff and just a little bit on a fluffed up cotton ball or Q-Tip lights right away and burns long enough to start kindling.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:42:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By leatherface_y2k:
Hand sanitizer is a cheaper alternative. Plus it can be used as... hand sanitizer.

I buy the cheap Walgreens stuff and just a little bit on a fluffed up cotton ball or Q-Tip lights right away and burns long enough to start kindling.

You could sue it without any cotton at all, cotton makes sense for petrouljelly but you dont really need it for handsanitier, just light it up!
The advantage of PP rather than how practical it is for starting fires is its use as a desinfectant and for purifying water.
As a fire starter alone I just love Hammarö. Its light, compact, not messy and burns nicely. You cna jus tear up as little as oyu may need.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:19:53 AM EST
LOL, some go to rather esoteric lengths to start a fire!

Hand sanitizer works great, as do corn chips.
(recent hunting/trapping trip, my youngest was trying EVERYTHING)

Years back, I hauled a load of PP for someone.
Picked it up in Baltimore, was pallets of 5 gal buckets full.

As a sterilent, easy to tell when it's used up- water turns from purple to brown as organics are oxidized.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:26:08 AM EST
Local hardware chain (Menards) sells it to clean water softeners. I keep a small film canister around in the truck. Doesn't take a lot of anti-freeze, and it starts right up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:30:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By ferfal308:
You could sue it without any cotton at all, cotton makes sense for petrouljelly but you dont really need it for handsanitier, just light it up!
The advantage of PP rather than how practical it is for starting fires is its use as a desinfectant and for purifying water.
As a fire starter alone I just love Hammarö. Its light, compact, not messy and burns nicely. You cna jus tear up as little as oyu may need.
FerFAL

I have to ask. What is Hammarö?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:24:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 6:26:11 AM EST by ferfal308]
Originally Posted By ferfal308:
FerFAL

I have to ask. What is Hammarö?

Its a special tinder made in Sweeden. Not nearly as popular as other stuff but I like it a lot, its very compact and easy to use with a firesteel.
A pack has several Hammarö cards and you need very little to start a fire, so its not expensive either comapred to other commerical stuff.
I have a little bit of Hammarö in all my kits.
Here's the website:
http://www.lightingpaper.com/paper.asp?lang=en
Here's a video I made on how to use it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbd3WwO920E
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:00:30 PM EST

but you have to have a way to start it. PP and gly self ignite. plus you get water purification as well as skin care if you need it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:12:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By mylt1:

but you have to have a way to start it. PP and gly self ignite. plus you get water purification as well as skin care if you need it.

Hand sanitizer in the standard containers in a glove box + Alabama summertime temps=something 1/3 full with the consistancy of jelly

Plus hand sanitizer is somethign like 38% water, so less BTU per oz (less fuel, plus heat wasted to boil off water). I don't know if you can light hand sanitizer with a hot spark. You can light vasoline on cotton.

Of course you can't use vasoline to "boost the spirits".
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:46:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By die-tryin:
You dont mix it with water. You just put the powder in one container and the glycerin in another and a small pile (tablespoon of powder) can be lite off with a teaspoon or less of Glycerin aka anti freeze

So I received my potassium permanganate in the mail last night. I made a small pile on the ground and added a few drops of glycerin then mixed it into a paste with a twig. I waited and waited with no fire. I became curious is it really did need water so I spit on it. In under 2 seconds the the thing burst into flames. I suspect the reason you did not need water is there was already some in your antifreeze.the moral of the story is that water IS required for this reaction.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:54:12 AM EST
No, water, in that sense, isn't needed, plain old glycerine will work. What was likely going on was the mixture was too cold.

Try it again when it's warmer.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:21:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
No, water, in that sense, isn't needed, plain old glycerine will work. What was likely going on was the mixture was too cold.

It might work when it is warmer, but I sat there waiting for a good 3 minutes with no sign of heat whatsoever. I held my hand as close to it as I could without touching it and felt no heat. I spit on it and actually missed, a little blop about 1/4 the size of a pea of spit landed on it and it immediately began sizzling, within 2 seconds it burst into flames. I do not think the little bit of spit brought enough heat to set it off. I would hazard to bet I could have set an ice cube on it and set it off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:08:33 AM EST
This could be an important survival discovery.

Seriously.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:52:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By die-tryin:

So I received my potassium permanganate in the mail last night. I made a small pile on the ground and added a few drops of glycerin then mixed it into a paste with a twig. I waited and waited with no fire. I became curious is it really did need water so I spit on it. In under 2 seconds the the thing burst into flames. I suspect the reason you did not need water is there was already some in your antifreeze.the moral of the story is that water IS required for this reaction.

you have something wrong. i have used PP and gly several times and have never had to add water, nor have i ever added antifreeze to it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:54:04 PM EST
Bet is has something to do with humidity in the air..

BTW great thread..

Myself I just use cotton and Vaseline but this is neat..

Whats the story with the compressed fuel bars, and it being used in part to make larger fires or bombs by bad guys? is that true?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:02:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

It might work when it is warmer, but I sat there waiting for a good 3 minutes with no sign of heat whatsoever. I held my hand as close to it as I could without touching it and felt no heat. I spit on it and actually missed, a little blop about 1/4 the size of a pea of spit landed on it and it immediately began sizzling, within 2 seconds it burst into flames. I do not think the little bit of spit brought enough heat to set it off. I would hazard to bet I could have set an ice cube on it and set it off.

I can't explain what happened without knowing all the details. Having some water in the glycerine is not going to hurt. After all, glycerine is hygroscopic. So much so, that a timer can be built around this. Take a small glass or plastic test tube and fill it to the brim with glycerin (glycerol is the same thing). Fix it upright in a container of potassium permanganate. Over time, the glycerin absorbs water and overflows along the outer walls of the tube into the potassium permanganate. You can mix another fuel with it such as sugar which burns well with it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:00:09 PM EST
The size of the crystals of the PP is the cause of delayed or no reaction. Finely ground PP will go up much faster and at a much lower temp. Larger crystal PP needs a higher temp to react.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:35:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:
The size of the crystals of the PP is the cause of delayed or no reaction. Finely ground PP will go up much faster and at a much lower temp. Larger crystal PP needs a higher temp to react.

+1

I thought of this and then forgot to post it. Finely ground will dramatically increase the surface area and therefore the reaction rate making ignition a lot easier.
Top Top