Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/1/2009 5:06:35 PM EST
Is there a safe way to use a swimming pool as a means of storing drinking water?

I have heard various stories on this some yes and some no.

Anyone know for sure? How do you know?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:58:21 PM EST
I keep a couple of the soft sided ones around for use as pools as well as ponds, and a sheet of builders plastic to help slow evaporation.

I figure they could be adapted to rainwater collection pretty easy, or a snow melter.

Not sure I'd use the water stored in them for drinking. Kind of leery about what chemicals might leach into the water from the cheap Chinese plastics. They were never meant for drinking water.

I've thought about hooking up an 12v RV water pump to the filter outlet, and pumping back into the house for the shower or toilet.

Might not be perfect for anything, but for 40 bucks you can hold 5-700 gallons of water.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:32:29 PM EST
The biggest thing I would worry about is the open pool being contaminated by chemical dust.

The biological part I wouldn't worry about as much just because I would use a water filter but the contamination issue is a big one for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:15:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By MrHunterAZ:
The biggest thing I would worry about is the open pool being contaminated by chemical dust.

The biological part I wouldn't worry about as much just because I would use a water filter but the contamination issue is a big one for me.

Water filters pass biological mass straight through. For impure/contaminated water purification, a multistep filtering process must be utilized.

Using a combination of filtration technologies, you can for example, start with a pump that will feed the impure water into a sediment filter, activated carbon filter, reverse osmosis, then ultraviolet irradiation. There's also boiling of water.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:26:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 11:28:06 PM EST by MrHunterAZ]
Originally Posted By sumkrnboy:
Originally Posted By MrHunterAZ:

Water filters pass biological mass straight through. For impure/contaminated water purification, a multistep filtering process must be utilized.

Using a combination of filtration technologies, you can for example, start with a pump that will feed the impure water into a sediment filter, activated carbon filter, reverse osmosis, then ultraviolet irradiation. There's also boiling of water.

Well obviously a multi step approach would be best but what I was attempting to illustrate is the biological threat is not the thing I would worry about, the chemical contamination would be much more difficult to overcome. You don't have to remove 100% of the biologicals, just the pathogens and then only enough to not cause disease.

If I had a pool full of water I would opt for a bio sand filter personally but a 0.2 micron filter with a pre filter would be enough to make the water safe(biologically that is). Maybe throw on a 0.02 Sawyer or chem tabs/drops if your really worried.

All the stuff you stated requires power and/or fuel. If you don't have access to other sources of water you certainly don't have access to electricity unless you have a geni but even then why burn the fuel for a labored process that can be accomplished through other means?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:01:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 10:02:49 AM EST by sumkrnboy]
Most filters can operate on gravity, but RO (reverse osmosis) which allows you to obtain fairly pure water (.25 microns) requires a pump of some sort (manual or power). That should take care of chemical contamination. It should also be noted that before the RO stage, water neutralization steps should be used to prevent the chemical destruction of the RO membrane.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:19:44 PM EST
I plan on getting a used doughboy type pool (1500-2000 gal & cover) at the end of the season, precisely for rain water storage.
We put in several fruit trees & a larger garden this year and it's supposed to be wet this fall & winter.

It's always hot from June thru Sept. in this part of Texas, so next year the watering bill is going down $100-200 for that period.

It'll also serve as a second reserve (family pool 1st) for firefighting.
Top Top