Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 11/18/2012 7:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 7:12:02 PM EDT by DenmanShooter]
Does anyone know the correct length plug needed to plug a 30 round AR USGI mag to 5 rounds?

Seems silly to buy a 5 round magazine for twice the price of a PMag if I have some GI mags laying around I can convert.

I'll need to check with the Game and Parks guys if it is OK also.
Some knowledgable friends said it is OK but I'd rather not relinquish a nice rifle to save a few bucks.

Just figured I'd get a head of the game.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:20:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 1:21:39 AM EDT by 103M95G]
i used a Magpul follower and drilled the mag, installed a roll pin, there is enough play to insert a mag with 5 rounds on a closed bolt but not enough play to add a 6th round.
roll pin filed flush with the body of the mag.

Semi permanent

hope this helps

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:57:29 PM EDT
Thanks for the tip!!  I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:22:27 PM EDT
Know any kids with Lego's?

Real easy to adjust the height with them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:36:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By VaFish:
Know any kids with Lego's?

Real easy to adjust the height with them.

I think we have about 1 million legos around the place.

But I discoverd a BIC STIC pen with the ink cartridge and nib removed and a brass screw inserted into the writng end works perfect.  

Let's me insert 5 rounds and will not allow a 6th to go in and does not interfere with the spring at all.

I do not have to modify the magazine.

I'll probably cut a dowell that length although I doubt the pen will flex, I feel better with something solid rather than hollow plastic.

Thanks for the tips.  

http://solidred.net/images/plug1.JPG
http://solidred.net/images/plug2.JPG

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:04:15 PM EDT
When it comes to game wardens and dnr. With the amounts of power they have ( take your gun , gear, the vehicle your drove there in) is just buy the five round mag. Consider it cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:28:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By UrbancommandoX:
When it comes to game wardens and dnr. With the amounts of power they have ( take your gun , gear, the vehicle your drove there in) is just buy the five round mag. Consider it cheap insurance.

True.  That's why I will check first before actually going into the field with it.

Differnt states probably view it differently and even from GW to GW it might vary.

I will definately want to avoid those "imperial entanglements".

Top Top