Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2011 6:34:52 PM EDT
Just bought a new house with four acres of land. I want to use a portion of it to plant some apple trees. I have decided to plant 6 honey crisps and 6 red delicious. Already know that they can pollinate each other well. And that they will grow fine in my area zone 5 NE Ohio. Gonna move in late July and would like to know what time is best to plant and what is the best place to order them online? I would like to get the trees as mature as possible for quick production. Kinda new to the fruit tree game, any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically the local nursery will get them in the spring Walmart will get some also but you can usually find better varieties at a nursery.  My favorite to eat off the tree is a Gravenstine.  I have several types and  Fuji, Braeburn seem really popular. The golden delicious is a good polunator.  If you are depending on wind to polunate them alter the varieties.  You might just as well plant as many as you can because eventually you will want more and if you have the room to do it go for it.  I suggest you get the plastic wrap to go around the base of the tree and put three fence posts around each tree with chicken wire around them to keep deer and rabbits from eating away the bark and killing the tree.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Best time to plant is spring or fall.  Honeycrisp are great eating/juice apples but if you have deer in your area you will need to fence them.  Something about the leaves on the honeycrisp that deer love.  Last year our small honeycrisps kept loosing leaves and we couldn't figure it out, the deer generally left our orchard alone, but that one tree got hammered.  If space isn't an issue I would suggest standard trees instead of dwarf or semi-dwarf.  

The most important thing to success is lots of WATER.  Like every other day all summer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Gonna be alot of deer around, hopefully I can keep em out of the new trees. I was going to plant some kind of wild flower mix to attract bees for pollinaiton. Thanks for the help fellas. Maybe I will plant more.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I can highly recommend calling the folks out at Vanwell nursery.  I looked into planting honeycrisp apples but decided against it opting to plant varieties better suited to my area.  The folks at Van well helped with rootstock selection, varieties to combat some common problems in my area, etc - all items I had no idea of.  They even suggested pears to match the height of the apples for asthetics in the orchard.

Also - talking with a dept of conservation forester in my area, he mentioned 1" diameter tree trunk has about a 4' root ball, so for transplanting he recommended smaller trees as they will catch up very quickly as larger trees do not have the root structure to support the tree size.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Trees bloom before wildflowers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]
i planted 2 apple tree's this year.  one johnathon and one honeycrisp (i verified they worked)  also planted them w/ in 30 foot of a crab apple tree which is also suppose to be a pollinator.  the honeycrisp is doing great but not so much with the jonhanthon.  its still surviving but i wouldn't call it much more than that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure to wrap the trees with fencing to keep the deer from destroying them. We had two plums we didn't fence in time and the deer tour them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top