Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 3:47:25 PM EDT
Well, this is a "writing group" that I was not aware of. Apparently they have several writers that contribute chapters within their area of expertise to survivalist oriented books which are then published as a completed work.....

The particular book in question- Locusts on the Horizon takes a VERY DIFFERENT look at survival from what is normally seen as "ideal". The book advocates "mobile" survival.

Their premise- and not without merit- is that 1. Any number of events could FORCE you to leave ANY location no matter how "great" it is. Civil unrest, nuclear or other contamination, bad weather-Drought, floods etc....... 2. There are many reasons to prefer mobile survival such as - locally depressed economy- Go where the MONEY IS- you can do this if you aren't tied to a piece of ground. Historically this has happened many times- such as most recently the great Okie migration, the Rust Belt economy failures, the Dakota and South Texas Oil Booms etc.....

I have downloaded the book but haven't had any time to look at it.....

Here-http://www.amazon.com/Locusts-Horizon-Plan-Writers-Alliance-ebook/dp/B00CFP2PCE
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, sure you have to keep your options open.

I'll poke a different set of logic:

When you are "mobile", you are dependent. Dependent on an economic system that is at least semi-functional, assuming you haven't turned into a pirate. You depend on finding shelter, food, heat, etc. You cannot produce ANYTHING yourself.

When you are in a stationary point (and well established) with some acreage you PRODUCE. You PRODUCE food, you produce shelter, heat, etc. You have the means to survive w/o an economic system. Now you may find yourself face to face with some of those pirates, and things may not end up going your way. At best you end up a nomad (or "mobile"), worst you don't have to worry about it anymore.

But if you don't have that land and can work it, you aren't playing farmer on a 1/4 acre lot in suburbia.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you are "mobile", you are dependent. Dependent on an economic system that is at least semi-functional, assuming you haven't turned into a pirate. You depend on finding shelter, food, heat, etc. You cannot produce ANYTHING yourself.

When you are in a stationary point (and well established) with some acreage you PRODUCE. You PRODUCE food, you produce shelter, heat, etc. You have the means to survive w/o an economic system. Now you may find yourself face to face with some of those pirates, and things may not end up going your way. At best you end up a nomad (or "mobile"), worst you don't have to worry about it anymore.

But if you don't have that land and can work it, you aren't playing farmer on a 1/4 acre lot in suburbia.
View Quote

That's just it. I haven't read the book but I think they advocate having useful skills and equipment that mean that you can PRODUCE no matter WHERE YOU ARE.  For example, most gunsmiths need a small tool chest- you could carry it in your hands literally, to fix about 99% of common problems. A good gunsmith can earn a living nearly anywhere.....Same is true of a good mechanic (although modern vehicles do often require more specialized tools) or carpenter. I've seen guys build HOUSES with what they could carry in a pickup tool box....and if they are good, they don't want for work, anywhere.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's just it. I haven't read the book but I think they advocate having useful skills and equipment that mean that you can PRODUCE no matter WHERE YOU ARE.  For example, most gunsmiths need a small tool chest- you could carry it in your hands literally, to fix about 99% of common problems. A good gunsmith can earn a living nearly anywhere.....Same is true of a good mechanic (although modern vehicles do often require more specialized tools) or carpenter. I've seen guys build HOUSES with what they could carry in a pickup tool box....and if they are good, they don't want for work, anywhere.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But you are still dependent on an economy.

It matters what you prep for, and your style and abilities. Myself, instead of trying to keep up in a loosing economic situation (like collapse of the dollar for example) where every day what you made yesterday is worth less, you will never get ahead. I'd rather need extremely little and produce what I need myself from my land. That in itself means you are a multi-talented, because you do it all yourself.

When you bring nothing but skill/labor into a great depression 2.0 (this time even worse!) situation, you don't produce, you are engaging in barter. Your labor/skills for dollars/pesos/yen/gold/silver/food/shelter/.22lr, etc. Everything that you do goes back out to scratch an existence within the system, and playing by the rules of the system. Kind of like being locked in the Matrix .
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But you are still dependent on an economy.    

It matters what you prep for, and your style and abilities. Myself, instead of trying to keep up in a loosing economic situation (like collapse of the dollar for example) where every day what you made yesterday is worth less, you will never get ahead. I'd rather need extremely little and produce what I need myself from my land. That in itself means you are a multi-talented, because you do it all yourself.

When you bring nothing but skill/labor into a great depression 2.0 (this time even worse!) situation, you don't produce, you are engaging in barter. Your labor/skills for dollars/pesos/yen/gold/silver/food/shelter/.22lr, etc. Everything that you do goes back out to scratch an existence within the system, and playing by the rules of the system. Kind of like being locked in the Matrix .
View Quote

As long as there are more than two of our species left....there will be some kind of economy!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't mean you want to be participating in it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Doesn't mean you want to be participating in it!
View Quote

Well, it IS the oldest Profession
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
A short article discussing some of their ideas can be found here under the title of "The Nightmare Approaches"-

http://www.locustsonthehorizon.com/
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Aww Dang

In

Oil boom here...Now crashing

RV Trailer parks were FULL...RV Trailers and scrap cars were wallydocking in Mikdland TX

Now one wallmart in Midland is closed and the number of wallydockers is down.

I have seen welding trucks towing RVs driving into and out of the county

Golly Gee man: If I had a welding truck I could go anywhere and build whatever someone wanted to pay for.

Oh But I would need steel which comes form Iron mines and coal mines that just happen to not be mobile.
Oh and I would need fuel that comes from oil wells that also happen to not be mobile.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Aww Dang

In

RV Trailer parks were FULL...RV Trailers and scrap cars were wallydocking in Mikdland TX

Golly Gee man: If I had a welding truck I could go anywhere and build whatever someone wanted to pay for.

Oh But I would need steel which comes form Iron mines and coal mines that just happen to not be mobile.

Oh and I would need fuel that comes from oil wells that also happen to not be mobile.

View Quote
OK, I understood about 20% of that. Maybe less.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aww Dang

In

View Quote

Which is the case no matter WHERE you are.

Let's take a guy that makes a living by welding as an example.

Unless he literally LIVES next door to a steel plant, his raw materials have to be delivered to the jobsite whether HE is a nomad or whether he lives in BFE, USA full time. A truck still has to bring the steel TO HIM, to THE JOBSITE.

So, if there are NO trucks running at all....it is NO ADVANTAGE for him to be in one place over another-he's not going to have what he needs..... But let's say for whatever reason trucks ARE running in one part of the country, maybe not others....the guy who is mobile can go where they are running without penalty.....

I'm sure not sold on the idea....but it has some appeal. Throwing it out here for discussion....

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aww Dang

In

A little help-

http://wallydocking.com/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top