Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 5:43:54 PM EDT
Diid ya'll watch it? It was better than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Diid ya'll watch it? It was better than I thought it would be.

Yes, I just finished watching it (missed it the first time around).

Like you....I found it to be better than I expected.  For the most part it was factual....and refreshingly...when the answer was not "known" it was stated as such.

I had to roll my eyes at the "prospect" of a mega-race of hogs 6' tall, 1500lbs and capable of running 70 mph, but I guess you have to put something in there for the "tin foil hat" crowd to chew on.

The only blatant error I saw concerning "wild" hogs was the idea that they could have 3 litters per year. With a gestation period of about 115 days....it is mathematically possible, but the proposition leaves out certain important factors like the sow taking time to farrow, go into estrous again and becoming receptive to a boar (re-bred). In reality...this just doesn't happen for about a month after having a litter in the wild.

Now....two litters is very "doable" (under good conditions) and I would not be surprised to know that a good number of mature sows (those having had more than one litter already) aren't producing a couple of broods a year.

In any case, hogs are near the top of the list in North America as the most prolific mammals in existence.  The sad evidence of that is running around in the woods behind my house even as we speak. Hopefully, within the week I will be able to post pics of the latest group I am trying to trap.

Just trying to do my part to defuse the "pig bomb".

Flint.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I still like your trap better Flint.
Should we expect more episodes, or was that it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I still like your trap better Flint.
Should we expect more episodes, or was that it?

I was working on a group of nine, had them about two days away from being ready to trap...and someone came by and "dogged them".  So now....there is no telling when (or if) they will come back. I'm sure the hog dogger's had fun and maybe even caught one....but once again, all they succeeded in doing (on a larger scale) was to spread the hogs out and make them smarter.

All of my hard work patterning this group (not mention about 250lbs of corn) is now wasted.

Now that this group has been gone for the last three nights, the small bachelor group of boars (5) I had mentioned in earlier posts have come back, so I will deal with them.  I should able to move on these more quickly but will probably only catch them in pairs at most.

Sheeesh, whittling down the hog population is hard enough without hog dogger's coming onto the property (tresspassing).

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it would suck, but I was surprised it was pretty good.
I watched it the 1st time recorded it on the DVR the 2nd time
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell yes I saw it, I want to go hunt some.  Any of you Loosaner or Missippy folk got a lead on hunting land?  Alabama either?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to watch it but dont have the ability.no dish...no cable.. Shoot just had this crap top bout a year n a half...I know...I know...It shows...LOL
I'm a little up-set about it...at the time the producers were talking to me about my quoat "sometimes they are tracking me"
The leader of texas boars baashed the crap out me bout that and when I was on his web site I stated that over the years ... "they are evolving"  . then all his brotheran jumped in with him....I hope they choke  on it.
Also upset that Laura did'nt bring the production crew over and tape hogs gettin it from porches, (urban hogs)
Well I got that off my chest and prolly set myself up for more flaming !!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want to watch it but dont have the ability.no dish...no cable.. Shoot just had this crap top bout a year n a half...I know...I know...It shows...LOL
I'm a little up-set about it...at the time the producers were talking to me about my quoat "sometimes they are tracking me"
The leader of texas boars baashed the crap out me bout that and when I was on his web site I stated that over the years ... "they are evolving"  . then all his brotheran jumped in with him....I hope they choke  on it.
Also upset that Laura did'nt bring the production crew over and tape hogs gettin it from porches, (urban hogs)

my family has raised hogs in Iowa for years.  the feral hogs are different then the farm hogs.  i also think the feral hogs are adapting and evolving to fit into their environmental/ecological niches better.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought it would suck, but I was surprised it was pretty good.
I watched it the 1st time recorded it on the DVR the 2nd time

could you troubled to make a copy for a small fee? as i don't have cable either.  or maybe upload it on youtube or something?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I found it online.  The guy actually said "3 litters in 14 months", so that's pretty close to what you are saying.

I found it kinda hard to figure out which vid was supposed to be next, but I kept clicking and eventually saw them all.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/pig-bomb-pig-epidemic.html
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That sounds typical of the "Captain" and few others over there.

IMO, you are better off for not visiting that site.  That guy has some serious problems.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top