Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2012 6:28:00 PM EDT
I'm looking to pick up a Dietz or Kirkman lantern soon.  In some pics, the Blizzard (Champion) looks huge, in others it doesn't.  I'm leaning towards a Kirkman Champion or a Dietz Air Pilot for indoor and outdoor use, but don't want something massive.  Of course, this is Arfcom, so the obvious solution is to get a big lantern and a small lantern, right?  

So, if you wouldn't mind, could you guys post some pictures of your lanterns with a can of soda or soup in the picture for perspective, along with the model name of your lantern?  

Feel free to share any other wisdom about kerosene or oil lamps and lanterns.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking to pick up a Dietz or Kirkman lantern soon.  In some pics, the Blizzard (Champion) looks huge, in others it doesn't.  I'm leaning towards a Kirkman Champion or a Dietz Air Pilot for indoor and outdoor use, but don't want something massive.  Of course, this is Arfcom, so the obvious solution is to get a big lantern and a small lantern, right?  

So, if you wouldn't mind, could you guys post some pictures of your lanterns with a can of soda or soup in the picture for perspective, along with the model name of your lantern?  

Feel free to share any other wisdom about kerosene or oil lamps and lanterns.

Thanks!

I have a Dietz No.80 Blizzard in my hands right now, and can tell you it is a total of 15" top to bottom, and 8" across at the bottom.  I believe a Air Pilot is about 5-6" shorter, so that would put you in the 10" tall range.

I'd take a pic, but my camera is not at home right now

I do have a camping pic though, although it doesn't help relate size.

EDIT: the Kirkman "Champion" Appears to be 15" as well, while the Air pilot is 13 1/4" according to Lemans site
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
not too good a picture of my Chicom #8 Air Pilot on right and older US made Little Wizard on left... both are the larger fount models, the Air Pilot has a 7/8" wick and the Little Wizard a 5/8"... the bottom pic is an attempt to show the difference in brightness... the 7/8" is noticably brighter, but difficult to see with the reflection... WT Kirkman Co recommends using only kerosene in wicks over 1/2"... I try to use 1- K kerosene... I have a much older smaller KMart/Dietz that I burn citronella oil in

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pics guys, just what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Left to right
Dietz 76, antique little wizard, no 1 little wizard, air pilot no 8

My blizzard is at my bug out location. It is about the height of the no 8, but it has a huge fount.  

I honestly do not prefer the lanterns for inside the house. They stink a lot more than regular oil lamps. The light output is not nearly as good either. Lanterns are great outside.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread inspired me to break out one of my dietz blizzards.  It's surprising how much heat AND light it gives off.

ETA for OP - the blizzard is quite large.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This thread inspired me to break out one of my dietz blizzards.  It's surprising how much heat AND light it gives off.

ETA for OP - the blizzard is quite large.

Compared to any lantern, the blizzard is big, even bigger than my Coleman lantern.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the Feuerhand brand. More expensive than Dietz, but the quality is worth it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I honestly do not prefer the lanterns for inside the house. They stink a lot more than regular oil lamps. The light output is not nearly as good either. Lanterns are great outside.

What is an example of a "regular oil lamp"???

I've heard (on the Internet! ) that odor from Dietz-style lanterns can vary quite a bit depending on which type of fuel you use.  Can anyone comment on that.

Quoted:
Check out the Feuerhand brand. More expensive than Dietz, but the quality is worth it.

I looked at them, but light output seems a bit weak.  I'm not looking to illuminate an operating room, but I want something better than just a couple of candles.  How do the Feuerhand lanterns compare to the various Dietz and Kirkman lanterns in terms of output?  In what way is build quality better?

Thanks to everyone for pics and input!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Regular oil lamp

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is an example of a "regular oil lamp"???

Glad you asked.

batman's ridiculous oil lamp thread

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Roger that.

The wife scored two similar lamps at a garage sale for a $1 for the pair.  They use round wicks though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Roger that.

The wife scored two similar lamps at a garage sale for a $1 for the pair.  They use round wicks though.

The round wick are glorified candles. The flat wick put out a lot more light. The wider the wick the more light.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that.

The round wick are glorified candles. The flat wick put out a lot more light. The wider the wick the more light.

Assuming the same fuel, would a 5/8" wick lamp and 5/8" wick lantern emit approximately the same amount of light?
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#14]
my perception is that the taller the globe, the better the vaporization of fuel, and the net result is a little more light and less unburned fuel to make an odor... down side is that they are a lot more fragile... the Aladdin mantle lamps are the brightest, but much more expensive
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Here are a couple of W.T. Kirkman "Champion No. 2" lanterns.  These are my first oil lanterns.  I thought I'd like the galvanized finish, but I'm more partial to some kind of darker, matte finish.  YMMV.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top