Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 9:51:53 PM EDT
Well to start, I've had a Petzl Tactikka LED headlamp for a few years and it's great, I've been very satisfied with it. I've noticed the slick design of their e+lite and thought it'd make a good lightweight backup headlamp. It's waterproof, incorporates a 100db whistle, has a neat case, etc. I also checked amazon and it has good reviews. So I'm at Bass Pro Shops tonight and drop $30 on this tiny little light and can't wait to get home & try it out.

Disappointment.

The light flickers and 3 of the 5 settings don't work. What the heck?! Maybe it's a battery problem and I should swap them out but I'm not going to, a brand new product should function properly. Period.

So tomorrow I'm returning it, maybe for another model headlamp or light, I don't know yet. I'm a bit upset because my schedule doesn't have a lot of extra time tomorrow, but it's the only opportunity I have before a big camping trip next weekend.

So.... Who has one of these little guys and does it work fine? I'm tempted to swap it out for another e+lite but I don't want a hassle prone light. Who's got experience with it & what do you think I should do? Thanks for any input!

http://www.basspro.com/Petzl-ELite-Compact-LED-Headlamp/product/95045/-1626658

ETA: Title edit. (Update: I returned it but didn't feel confident enough in the product to roll the dice again.)
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:19:44 PM EDT
Bummer. Maybe you just got a bad one or one with old batteries?

I've never used that particular light but I used a lot of Petzl gear (hell, I still have my Petzl caving helmet) and it was always high quality stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:44:37 PM EDT
I have one and it works just fine. Granted I don't use it much cuz its my back up/emergency head lamp. However I think there are better options for a back up headlamp. The small 1 watt princeton tec or somethink similar. Might not have all the cool features, but is a better light. I also have the myo xp and myo rxp...so I'm not a hater

Ps: sounds like your unit is broken or bad battery.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:58:25 PM EDT
i think that theyre neat, but i dont like the tiny batteries. I have a Zipka, and am very happy with it. The Zipka plus even has a built in red light.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:30:37 AM EDT
I have one.  It works fine.  I would exchange it for one that works.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:46:09 AM EDT
I've had one for a couple of years, and experienced no problems.  It's possible the battery cover is loose, or you could simply have gotten
a bad one, though in my experience, Petzl makes great products, & stands behind them (I've had great customer service the 1 time I had to
deal with them).  I have 4 Petzl headlamps, & use a TakTikka Plus almost daily.

I trust the e-Lite enough to give it to my wife to carry in her purse––that's the highest recommendation I can give a product.  It's compact,
rugged (enough...I wouldn't take it caving as my primary light), and utterly reliable.  That's why I let her carry it.  While I want my gear to
be bombproof, I'm better equipped & suited to deal with a problem if one arises (either by fixing it, or pulling out a spare/backup).  My wife
may be by herself, or dealing with 1 to 3 kids (depending on time of day)...and she doesn't need any problems with her equipment.  That's
why she has the e-Lite in her purse, & a Photon on her key ring.

If you're not satisfied with the one you got, swap it for another.

David

Tennessee Firearms Association

TFA Forum
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:26:43 AM EDT
Thanks for your input guys. I have their TacTikka and have been very satisfied with it. That's probably why I was a bit perplexed and frustrated last night when I posted; my expecations were high and I just expected that it would be bombproof. I did check the battery compartment, and it appears to be ok. I'm going to return it today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:29:42 AM EDT
Just swap it out. I've never had a single problem with mine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:29:35 AM EDT
I've used one almost daily for three years with no problems.  The e+lite has been so dependable that I got one for each family member a couple of x-mas ago and they haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:24:35 PM EDT
I bought one several years ago and liked it so much that I bought several more. Never had a single problem with any of them.  Exchange it out and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:58:04 PM EDT
you must of got a lemon or it has weak/old batteries in it. I bought one 2 years back and loved it some much I kept buying them. I've bought 12 to date and never gotten a bad one. I've given 7 - 8 out to friends and family and still have the rest of them in either Bob's, hiking gear, shooting gear, or EDC bag. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:53:44 AM EDT
my buddy just hooked me up with one for 20 bucks its still in the package
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.