Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/15/2009 11:29:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 4:38:21 AM EST by Preppernation]
I have spend some time researching these prior to making my decision on a building style for our BOL. I have a new post over at Preppernation with pictures that discusses this in more detail. I ultimately decided against them for a host of reasons. I'm interested in hearing what other preppers have to say about them as I'm still intrigued by the concept and possibly a variant of them - Owner Built rather than factory built. There are some real good options being done in that industry and I bet there some folks here that have personal experience with them that could be of benefit to the group... So come on speak up!

Prepper
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:35:42 AM EST
New sales pitch on a trailer house

If you want a trailer get a Solitaire because they have the best quality I have found.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:45:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By Preppernation:
I have spend some time researching these prior to making my decision on a building style for our BOL. I have a new post over at Prepper Nation with pictures that discusses this in more detail. I ultimately decided against them for a host of reasons. I'm interested in hearing what other preppers have to say about them as I'm still intrigued by the concept and possibly a variant of them - Owner Built rather than factory built. There are some real good options being done in that industry and I bet there some folks here that have personal experience with them that could be of benefit to the group... So come on speak up!

Prepper

Not trying to sound like an ass, but do you have to reference and hotlink your blog in every post? Can't you just be satisfied with the link in your sig?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:18:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By PATCH5:
I have spend some time researching these prior to making my decision on a building style for our BOL. I have a new post over at Prepper Nation with pictures that discusses this in more detail. I ultimately decided against them for a host of reasons. I'm interested in hearing what other preppers have to say about them as I'm still intrigued by the concept and possibly a variant of them - Owner Built rather than factory built. There are some real good options being done in that industry and I bet there some folks here that have personal experience with them that could be of benefit to the group... So come on speak up!

Prepper

Not trying to sound like an ass, but do you have to reference and hotlink your blog in every post? Can't you just be satisfied with the link in your sig?

You're not sounding like an ass at all, I'm only referencing the website as that is where the bulk of the information is posted. If I'm lapsing in proper protocal I apologize. Visiting my website is entirely optional and I'm not selling anything, actually I am hoping finally give something back to my community here as well as other forums that have given alot to me over my many years as a lurker... Your point is noted!

Prepper

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:37:41 PM EST
Don't worry prepper, I am one of the origionals here, and I like your links. Your site is good, I do mostly here though for the diversity of opinions
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:51:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2009 12:54:22 PM EST by PATCH5]
Kind of went through the same thought process a few years back, and kind of came to a compromise. What we went with is a Jayco 30bhs (2008 model) the second picture in the slideshow has the floorplan. They got rid of that model for the 2010 model year, but there are other options. What sold me is the four bunkbeds at one end of the trailer and the queen at the other end for a total of 7 beds.

Ours does not stay at our BOL though, we use it to camp other places too, so if SHTF, we would hook it up to the Excursion and book it to the BOL. We're lucky that there are dozens of routes up to the BOL, none of which really go anywhere, so hopefully we wont end up in gridlock traffic. Its not a perfect plan, but seems to be the best fit for our situation. It is nice to have a 30' enclosed trailer to figure into hauling gear to BO.

At the BOL, we have pad for it back off the road a bit, and have a well drilled. Still working on getting a pump for the well, and getting septic going. What can I say, its a work in progress, and progress is slooooow...

This option seems much more affordable than the one you linked, though that is a nice looking unit. Our trailer was $20,000 brand new out the door. You can pick them up used for $7-9,000 (great return on that money on my part). For the $40,000 price tag, you can get a cabin built easily I would think.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:53:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheWind:
Don't worry prepper, I am one of the origionals here, and I like your links. Your site is good, I do mostly here though for the diversity of opinions

Wasn't trying to bust his balls, promise! Hell, I've got his site bookmarked now!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:53:12 PM EST
If you want a trailer just search Craigslist for one of the "Must be moved" trailers. They range from free to 1500USD all day long.

My daughter got one for 800 bucks. My Dad had a trailer toter at the time and we moved it for maybe another 1500USD. This was a 900sf double wide that was livable for maybe 3K total.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:39:03 PM EST
That's good Patchs, I was ready to direct my female ninjas to terminate you, I can still recall them, I hope?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:45:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheWind:
That's good Patchs, I was ready to direct my female ninjas to terminate you, I can still recall them, I hope?

Female ninja's? Let em come, please!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:53:50 PM EST
Thanks everybody for the responses! I have gone the RV, 5th wheel route before and I purchased a "Must be moved" mobile last summer. I see these trailers all the time for "Dirt Cheap" as well... However, I paid much more for mine and still defend to the death that I got a screamin deal! I'm a BIG advocate of these mobile homes. Prior to this I haven't had any experience with them but I am impressed with the possibilities for the BOL. I really liked the Park Model idea, not the price, what I was going for with the thread was maybe someone had some first hand info on how these actually work out in practice. I think that it might be a fun project to build a structure on a frame like that and have the exemption from property tax by titling it as an RV. I'm all about keeping the overhead low!

TheWind - I really appreciate you speaking up, your vote of confidence about my site was cool too. I'm having a lot of fun with it and gotten alot of good feedback so far.

Patchs - Most of the time I'm on SF I'm replying to other posts and seldom link to my site. You are correct that most of MY posts have a link, I'll watch that... I appreciate earning a bookmark from you though - thanks

Prepper
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:59:12 PM EST
I actually purchased one just like in the picture and put it on my 7 acres in the Texas hill country. I added a 35ft covered porch so I have plenty of outdoor space. I was going to use on weekends but right before the economy went bad I sold my house in the burds and moved in to it. It seemed small at first but I have gotten used to it. When I owned a 4 bedroom house I only used the bedroom, kitchen and living area. I will eventually build a house on my land but for now this works for me. This is not for a family but it's just me and my GF staying over on weekends. As long as I have land to roam around on I don't ever feel cramped. A mobile home was not an option since my property had deed restrictions and the nice thing is I don't pay property taxes. I also have a 3000gal water storage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:10:55 PM EST
Kind of went through the same thought process a few years back, and kind of came to a compromise. What we went with is a Jayco 30bhs (2008 model) the second picture in the slideshow has the floorplan. They got rid of that model for the 2010 model year, but there are other options. What sold me is the four bunkbeds at one end of the trailer and the queen at the other end for a total of 7 beds.

Ours does not stay at our BOL though, we use it to camp other places too, so if SHTF, we would hook it up to the Excursion and book it to the BOL. We're lucky that there are dozens of routes up to the BOL, none of which really go anywhere, so hopefully we wont end up in gridlock traffic. Its not a perfect plan, but seems to be the best fit for our situation. It is nice to have a 30' enclosed trailer to figure into hauling gear to BO.

At the BOL, we have pad for it back off the road a bit, and have a well drilled. Still working on getting a pump for the well, and getting septic going. What can I say, its a work in progress, and progress is slooooow...

This option seems much more affordable than the one you linked, though that is a nice looking unit. Our trailer was $20,000 brand new out the door. You can pick them up used for $7-9,000 (great return on that money on my part). For the $40,000 price tag, you can get a cabin built easily I would think.

I bought a Jayco 32BHDS for many of the same reasons. We have 6 kids, and have slept 11 people in our "mobile BOL" easily. It can hold a lot of preps when loaded and has pretty good ground clearance too. The biggest downside is getting horrible mileage when towing, and if you are in mass evacuation driving, towing a 32'+ trailer would be a bitch. I always have about 30 gallons of gas that would be loaded to refuel the car and/or run my genny, and plan to BO on back roads.

All in all, I think it's a great option to have, and that if something ever happened to my house we have a place to live.

I don't store food in my camper though, because I don't want to risk infestations, but I keep plenty of stuff easily loadable.

If you didn't know you can also deduct the interest on your taxes as a second home.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:29:49 PM EST
I have a Flagstaff 831RLSS mobile BOL as well. I tow with a diesel and have a 600 gallon aux. tank
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:25:58 PM EST
I had a PArk Model as my BOL, lost it in the divorce
But they are great. Built well and afordable.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:07:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By JoshAR:
I had a PArk Model as my BOL, lost it in the divorce
But they are great. Built well and afordable.

Hi JoshAR, where did you have your park model setup? Was it on your land? I am interested in the property tax angle as I'm all about keeping the longterm over head low... Who was the manufacture, if its not to painful to think about... Details man, details??

Thanks everybody that responded, I appreciate the insights!

Prepper
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:22:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ranger431:

I bought a Jayco 32BHDS for many of the same reasons. We have 6 kids, and have slept 11 people in our "mobile BOL" easily. It can hold a lot of preps when loaded and has pretty good ground clearance too. The biggest downside is getting horrible mileage when towing, and if you are in mass evacuation driving, towing a 32'+ trailer would be a bitch. I always have about 30 gallons of gas that would be loaded to refuel the car and/or run my genny, and plan to BO on back roads.

All in all, I think it's a great option to have, and that if something ever happened to my house we have a place to live.

I don't store food in my camper though, because I don't want to risk infestations, but I keep plenty of stuff easily loadable.

If you didn't know you can also deduct the interest on your taxes as a second home.

Do you tow it with gas or diesel? I've got a diesel and the mileage isnt that bad, 16ish flat with the trailer fully loaded at 5mph above the speed limit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:26:24 PM EST
I like your site but the contrast on the letters suck.......more contrast so I can read them please..
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:15:44 PM EST

Prepper

You're not sounding like an ass at all, I'm only referencing the website as that is where the bulk of the information is posted. If I'm lapsing in proper protocal I apologize. Visiting my website is entirely optional and I'm not selling anything, actually I am hoping finally give something back to my community here as well as other forums that have given alot to me over my many years as a lurker... Your point is noted!

Prepper

You're not.

I enjoy your site quite a bit.

I bought a new storage container today, BTW. I have some ideas on what I'm going to do with it, nothing set in stone just yet. I'm thinking using two of them parallel, with my travel trailer forming a "U" and covering the whole thing with a metal top.

I'm kicking it around still.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:21:37 PM EST

Do you tow it with gas or diesel? I've got a diesel and the mileage isnt that bad, 16ish flat with the trailer fully loaded at 5mph above the speed limit.

I have an 08 F250 that gets about 7 miles to the gallon when pulling my 32ft RV.

I used one of my company trucks, a 08 F350 a couple of weeks ago and only got 6. The new 08 Powerstrokes suck for mileage.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:26:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 5:27:04 PM EST by ubergeek]
I have a 21ft Desert Fox toy hauler that I tow with a gas 1/2 ton suburban with a 410 rear end. Get anywhere from 6 - 9 mpg depending on the terrain. That's the mobile BOL!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:27:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By krpind:

I have an 08 F250 that gets about 7 miles to the gallon when pulling my 32ft RV.

I used one of my company trucks, a 08 F350 a couple of weeks ago and only got 6. The new 08 Powerstrokes suck for mileage.

Wow, thats pretty bad... Old powers troke ftw???
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:56:56 PM EST
. Old powers troke ftw???

No shit. How crazy is it that the mileage is so much worst on the new ones?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:54:16 PM EST

Gas
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:18:12 AM EST
A good place to find a used Park home are the campgrounds that let you have a permant site. Most require that the rv be changed out every 12-15 years. Most are in great shap and have been set up as a home vs. a RV.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:39:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 1:42:20 PM EST by Preppernation]
Krpind,

I have a similar project going, you've seen the container I have now... I have another one coming soon that will be parallel to the first with a 20 foot space between. I'm going to do a pole style building in between and cover the whole thing, so I will end up with a garage or carport at least. Covered areas at the BOL are in short supply. I hope you'll consider doing a guest article for me at Preppernation, this is EXACTLY the stuff I want on the site. Projects that are somewhat bigger but still doable by most any of us! Think about it!

Prepper
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:39:25 PM EST
Prepper,
I too, have your site bookmarked.
Just to let you know.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:49:22 PM EST
Krpind,

I have a similar project going, you've seen the container I have now... I have another one coming soon that will be parallel to the first with a 20 foot space between. I'm going to do a pole style building in between and cover the whole thing, so I will end up with a garage or carport at least. Covered areas at the BOL are in short supply. I hope you'll consider doing a guest article for me at Preppernation, this is EXACTLY the stuff I want on the site. Projects that are somewhat bigger but still doable by most any of us! Think about it!

Prepper

There is an older thread similar to what you are talking about Here which is about the best I've seen with shipping containers. This guy went all out and ended up with a setup that I envy every time I see the thread. If we ever close on the new house (its a short sale, takes a long time apparently...), I plan on attempting to recreate what he has done. Plus the thread has pictures of a sweet 70 1/2 split bumper Camaro.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:13:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By ApacheScout:
Prepper,
I too, have your site bookmarked.
Just to let you know.

Thanks ApacheScout, I appreciate your support and I promise to work hard to keep you interested...

Patch5, I've been following that container thread as well! Best work I've ever seen on a project like this! Really gets a guys mind turning... Did you see the picture that showed the Lister generator as well? This guy has all the cool toys!

Prepper

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:52:18 AM EST
I kicked around getting a park model for a while as they're classified a motor vehicles (like a tow-behind trailer) not real estate for property tax purposes. However, they are smaller and much more expensive than even a new single wide mobile home and you can get a used double wide for just a little more. I haven't put anything on my property yet due to finances and repeat vandalism (break-in theft of everything down to the cabinet hinges and copper wiring in the walls) in the condemned farm house on my property. I've had several contractors look at the home and it's way beyond being repairable with extensive structural damage being caused by the previous owner trying to dig his own basement. Whenever I do get to the point of moving to the area so I can live there (too far away to visit even on a long weekend), I may go with a mobile home because it's cheaper and the quick move-in factor since I have electric, well and septic from the house. The other route I've considered is tearing down the house and replacing it with a reinforced concrete basement (built into the hillside on 3 sides) and cover at grade with a small cabin (kind of like an efficiency apartment)/garage combo structure and wood deck (since the basement will be much bigger than the above-ground structures). Then as time/finances permit, I could finish out the basement as living accommodations.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:05:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By sigma_pete:
I kicked around getting a park model for a while as they're classified a motor vehicles (like a tow-behind trailer) not real estate for property tax purposes. However, they are smaller and much more expensive than even a new single wide mobile home and you can get a used double wide for just a little more. I haven't put anything on my property yet due to finances and repeat vandalism (break-in theft of everything down to the cabinet hinges and copper wiring in the walls) in the condemned farm house on my property. I've had several contractors look at the home and it's way beyond being repairable with extensive structural damage being caused by the previous owner trying to dig his own basement. Whenever I do get to the point of moving to the area so I can live there (too far away to visit even on a long weekend), I may go with a mobile home because it's cheaper and the quick move-in factor since I have electric, well and septic from the house. The other route I've considered is tearing down the house and replacing it with a reinforced concrete basement (built into the hillside on 3 sides) and cover at grade with a small cabin (kind of like an efficiency apartment)/garage combo structure and wood deck (since the basement will be much bigger than the above-ground structures). Then as time/finances permit, I could finish out the basement as living accommodations.

I'd love to see your place, got pix? What else is there now besides the old house? Sounds like you have a good idea for your project list and I know we are all interested to see what you get off the ground!

Prepper

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:49:12 AM EST
With secret doors and an escape tunnel?
Top Top