[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.

Next question, how were they packaged?

CO2, vacuum bagged?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Good work! Keep it up... I'll have to see if I can get some pictures taken and add them tomorrow...

Prepper
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks.

Next question, how were they packaged?

CO2, vacuum bagged?

Tag, this is pretty interesting stuff
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Why are you spending so much $$ and time on that bagging?

LDS prices are surely cheaper than what you've got into it, and then once you open a #10 can put it in a sealed plastic container and use until gone then repeat when you open another #10 can.

Am I missing something ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
My pantry, and mud room/pantry.

http://img143.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=89080259.jpg
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
miracle grow looks yummy
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LDS prices are surely cheaper than what you've got into it, and then once you open a #10 can put it in a sealed plastic container and use until gone then repeat when you open another #10 can.

Am I missing something ?

Buying in bulk locally and packing it yourself is cheaper than having #10 cans shipped. It may be cheaper to pack it yourself at an LDS cannery, but not everyone has access to one of those and once you're into a pack-it-yourself scenario, the time issue is moot: your either spending your time packing food in the comfort of your own home, or you "save" pennies per pound packing in a cannery.
For others that may not know and can have them shipped LDS = free shipping. Their online prices are higher than local but online is still better than any other company selling #10 cans :)

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I missing something ?

Buying in bulk locally and packing it yourself is cheaper than having #10 cans shipped. It may be cheaper to pack it yourself at an LDS cannery, but not everyone has access to one of those and once you're into a pack-it-yourself scenario, the time issue is moot: your either spending your time packing food in the comfort of your own home, or you "save" pennies per pound packing in a cannery.

Yea, I'm pretty sure we did things in a fairly frugal manner.

I don't recall what the prices were back when we did the initial large batch (kitchen pic above), but I do know that our finished product easily beat the shipped option prices that I reviewed before deciding to do it ourselves. (I always do all the math when it's my own money getting spent
)

I also ordered the food through my work, since we have purveyors that deliver weekly. (Sysco restaurant supply, in this case)

This last batch of rice we did, was approximately $16 for 50 lbs from Costco. It takes us less than a minute per bag to seal them, working together as a couple, (which we enjoy). Add in the cost per each bag, and it's not too far out of line in our opinion.

$16 for 50lbs not too bad. How much are the bags, and how many bags for 50lbs? I still think it's cheaper to go to LDS and maybe even ship depending on the cost-per-bag. Sounds like w/your work hookup you have it made!

I think LDS rice is ~16$ for  32lbs in #10 cans.

I`m not arguing with you, but just letting you and others know their prices are damn good if you are local, and still not bad for long-term storage if you have to have them shipped :) Especially if you compare to other places online *YIKES!*

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Feral- You give me hope.
Someone from Pa with Rotel in their pantry!
All my wife's family constantly give me the " that's spicy" what's in it.
I know this and make a conscious effort to tone things down when they visit (i.e. cook stuff with no taste).  Sad part is I'm usually like, uuuuuhhhhh salt and pepper....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Rotel is good stuff, I have used it for years. Feral...great pantry, I was able to show MrsWind I have a way to go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Feral,  im always jealous

Me to.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
nice preps; but aren't you guys afraid of the obama wealth redistribution teams that are going to go around and take your food because you don't need that much? and there are folks in inner cities that need to eat?  

and rotel is the best.  i like to throw a can in with my chili beans. wife says its too hot though.

i need to get my stuff straightened up so i can post pics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top