Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2014 1:16:36 PM EST
All,

I have had a continuing problem with batteries in my outdoor activities and would like guidance and recommendations on what I should change and how.

I notice that between 10 and 20% of my batteries will corrode during summer outings (Houston is home but I also had failures in southern Utah) whether it be inside the equipment or stored in a ziploc bag. I admit to using cheap alkaline batteries and do not know whether this is part of the problem or how much of it.

Should I be using a different type of battery? Storing them differently? Of these or other proper planning, what have you found matters most?

Thanks for your time and help.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:51:04 PM EST
Don't buy cheap alkalines, they leak. If the device isn't being used on a regular basis then remove the batteries after using it and don't store them in the device. Buy some good rechareable NiMh batteries like Eneloops, they keep a 75-80% for a year if they sit unused, and get a good smart charger. The up front cost of buying rechareables and a charger will save you money in the long run compared to buy cheap and shitty alkalines
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:10:54 PM EST
Are you using Ray-o-vac?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:02:16 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheWind:
Are you using Ray-o-vac?
View Quote

Cheaper - Fry's generic house batteries.

Thanks for all the input so far guys.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:02:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By TheWind:
Are you using Ray-o-vac?
View Quote

Are rayovacs known to leak more than others? I have a couple packs of them
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:07:19 PM EST
Duracell has the best rep for not leaking , I have read this in several threads multiple forums . That said I use Energizers myself and have never had one leak (yet) . You don't save any money with the cheap batteries as the name brands last so much longer. Buy quality.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:14:07 PM EST
Buy Eneloops, a charger and a plastic battery case.

Not only have I not had any leaks, I don't find myself buying batteries very often anymore.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:52:37 PM EST
ive had bad luck with duracells leaking lately. they haved ruined a couple devices in the past year. the latest being a $70 4sevens flash light. not happy. i havent had any bad luck with energizers so im weening out the duracells in everything around the house.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:58:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2014 8:58:56 PM EST by Sundowner08L]
Originally Posted By Pointman91:
Duracell has the best rep for not leaking , I have read this in several threads multiple forums . That said I use Energizers myself and have never had one leak (yet) . You don't save any money with the cheap batteries as the name brands last so much longer. Buy quality.
View Quote

Duracells have leaked and ruined a headset and a handheld GPS of mine in the past few months. They are horrible. I have switched to Eneloops. I hope they don't leak when they get discharged.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:27:22 PM EST
energizer has a device replacement guarantee if they leak...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:50:31 PM EST
Thanks very much for everyone's help and the variety of options.

We only have to power 2 headlamps and a GPS so I think we will give the eneloops a try as it won't be very expensive to update.
Top Top