Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 8:33:09 PM EDT
Does anyone see any problems with a couple of friends using my PO Box for their HAM license? One being out of state. I would forward their mail.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Just inform your Postmaster that you need to add the names to your PO box.  They might not allow it.  My Postmaster wouldn't allow any mail into the PO box that wasn't properly addressed.  Had to be to a name, or some generic junk mail type.   I had a difficult time adding my (at the time) fiance to mine prior to our marriage.  Other than that, its just an address.  They can get online and change it later.

ETA: This was at a USPS office.  If your PO box is at a 3rd party location with PO boxes, you should probably ask as well.  Policies probably vary, as do grumpy managers.  :)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as the FCC requirements, it just has to be deliverable. If it comes back as undeliverable they will yank the licenses pretty quick. Thats the way I read and understand the regs. Someone correct me if i'm wrong on this.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone see any problems with a couple of friends using my PO Box for their HAM license? One being out of state. I would forward their mail.

Part 97

§97.23 Mailing address.

Each license grant must show the grantee's correct name and mailing address. The mailing address must be in an area where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC and where the grantee can receive mail delivery by the United States Postal Service. Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct mailing address.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't see a problem with Part 97 as long as the mail is being forwarded. I don't know why they'd want to do that but as long as it's not returned as undeliverable I don't see an issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't see a problem with Part 97 as long as the mail is being forwarded. I don't know why they'd want to do that but as long as it's not returned as undeliverable I don't see an issue.

I know why they'd want to do it. Two words: Big Brother.

I realize that we might not agree with that persons reasoning but still....
Also, I know a widow who's husband was a career police officer and she recently got her amateur radio license. She was VERY concerned that ANYONE who ran her through QRZ or any other lookup service could get her physical address. I told her the best way I knew around that was to pony up the money for a PO Box. I've had one for several years.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't know why they'd go through the hoops of having mail forwarded. Especially if someone's out of state. I fully agree with the OPSEC part and don't use my home address either. I have a box with the UPS store. It's not like a PO box is really that expensive so I don't understand why they wouldn't just take care of it themselves.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't know why they'd go through the hoops of having mail forwarded. Especially if someone's out of state. I fully agree with the OPSEC part and don't use my home address either. I have a box with the UPS store. It's not like a PO box is really that expensive so I don't understand why they wouldn't just take care of it themselves.

Either you weren't clear or I am slow today. I vote for the later, Jax. Good question, I don't know why they wouldn't take care of it themselves either.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top