Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 2 of 55)
Page / 55
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m going back in. Should be set up in an hour. This time I should have the gray line in my side. Plus it’s nice out. I plan to stay at least 3 hours. Look me up and spot me on POTA.

Park k-0045
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
I'm going back in. Should be set up in an hour. This time I should have the gray line in my side. Plus it's nice out. I plan to stay at least 3 hours. Look me up and spot me on POTA.

Park k-0045
View Quote
Alright. 14.280 and up or so again?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]

We did 3 different activation's today.

Wife logged on the HAMRS software on my tablet. She liked it.

It's been a real good day.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#4]
I’m going back in. Should be set up in an hour. This time I should have the gray line in my side. Plus it’s nice out. I plan to stay at least 3 hours. Look me up and spot me on POTA.

Park k-0045
View Quote

That looks amazing.

I only see a VE7 and Calif on the spotter.

Edit-  I'm listening for you, but not hearing you, wondering how late you're going ?

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:41:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

That looks amazing.

I only see a VE7 and Calif on the spotter.

Edit-  I'm listening for you, but not hearing you, wondering how late you're going ?

http://www.destinationparks.com/images/park/kenai-fjords-national-park-1280x853.jpg
View Quote

I just got back. I activated the park! Played radio until almost 11pm. I mostly called on 14.282 and 289. The only responses I got to calling CQ were park to park. I joined a local net on 75m and got a few contacts there, got a couple on 40 too surprisingly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I checked around and didn't hear you. But hearing Alaska is hard for me for some reason. Not sure what or why. I've gone all over the world in my short time on all sorts of modes. But no Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a guy that lives somewhat close by that does a lot of POTA. When I am listening on my v/u radio, I scan local Em's and police, as well as local repeaters and the national 2m and 70cm call.
I heard him on 2m simplex and responded. He was happy, as it gave him an activation. He was having issues with his hf gear, and was using an it with an external antenna.
I should go with him on trip and check it out. He seems like a nice guy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
There is a guy that lives somewhat close by that does a lot of POTA. When I am listening on my v/u radio, I scan local Em's and police, as well as local repeaters and the national 2m and 70cm call.
I heard him on 2m simplex and responded. He was happy, as it gave him an activation. He was having issues with his hf gear, and was using an it with an external antenna.
View Quote

It's a lot of fun.

https://parksontheair.com/

https://pota.app/#/

doing activations and hunting activators is addicting

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#11]
View Quote
It's a lot of fun.

I don't mind rag chewing, it's ok and all. But I eventually run out of stuff to talk about. Plus the talk for 3 mins straight guys are annoying. They cover 5 topics and I dunno which I am supposed to respond to. Plus POTA is about as true test of portable gear as you can get. Because it ranges from mild(mobile) to completely off grid and battery/solar QRP.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
It's a lot of fun.

I don't mind rag chewing, it's ok and all. But I eventually run out of stuff to talk about. Plus the talk for 3 mins straight guys are annoying. They cover 5 topics and I dunno which I am supposed to respond to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It's a lot of fun.

I don't mind rag chewing, it's ok and all. But I eventually run out of stuff to talk about. Plus the talk for 3 mins straight guys are annoying. They cover 5 topics and I dunno which I am supposed to respond to.

I hear you. I join a morning coffee net Mon/Fri on a local repeater and there are one or two guys that can time out the repeater. It is fun, and I may go ahead and get my general, and put up a 40/20 dipole.
A well tuned antenna and a g-90 might work good enough for me.
I understand it decodes cw, and can encode as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]

I hear you. I join a morning coffee net Mon/Fri on a local repeater and there are one or two guys that can time out the repeater. It is fun, and I may go ahead and get my general, and put up a 40/20 dipole.
View Quote
Starting off QRP in HF generally isn't recommended. It can be very frustrating.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Jump in and get it before the price goes up from $15 to $35!
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:03:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#16]
I really enjoy doing POTA and hunting.

I did one this weekend and recorded everything and made a video. Would like to post it here but opsec just won’t let me.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The club I belong too has a lot of members that do it and it has encouraged more to follow suit. Wish I would have started a year ago.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]

That has to be the most beautiful place on earth.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m at Montana Creek State Rec area and am gonna try on 14.283 and there shouts for the next couple of hours. I will self spot.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:36:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#19]
I’m at Montana Creek State Rec area and am gonna try on 14.283 and there shouts for the next couple of hours. I will self spot.
View Quote

Buried in the noise and static and bleed from a BIG station, but I can hear you!

ETA: That was a TOUGH QSO! I am amazed and grateful!  
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

I did one this weekend and recorded everything and made a video. Would like to post it here but opsec just won’t let me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/92DDFC6E-82D6-4DF4-AE2E-2B8D62097DF2_jpe-2003047.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/A14BF3FC-3FBF-465C-8889-03245EECC2A2_png-2003049.JPG

The club I belong too has a lot of members that do it and it has encouraged more to follow suit. Wish I would have started a year ago.
View Quote

You live in a park?

I activated one today in KY.  Last time I only had 6 contacts so I went back to be successful.  Got 16 CW contacts.  I’m good with that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#21]
I'm at Montana Creek State Rec area and am gonna try on 14.283 and there shouts for the next couple of hours. I will self spot.
View Quote
There now, but cant hear anything.

I think I can barely hear you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I listened for you.

Had to run an errand, listened in the mobile.

never heard you

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By KD5TXX:

You live in a park?

I activated one today in KY.  Last time I only had 6 contacts so I went back to be successful.  Got 16 CW contacts.  I’m good with that.
View Quote

Callsign, vehicle and tag number. No go my friend on here.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

Buried in the noise and static and bleed from a BIG station, but I can hear you!

ETA: That was a TOUGH QSO! I am amazed and grateful!  
View Quote

Nice! That will be my first MA! I’m gonna try 40m in a bit and I’ll be back on in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Nice! That will be my first MA! I’m gonna try 40m in a bit and I’ll be back on in the morning.
View Quote

Happy to be your first MA! EMA and Plymouth County if you need them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#26]

You live in a park?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/92DDFC6E-82D6-4DF4-AE2E-2B8D62097DF2_jpe-2003047.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/A14BF3FC-3FBF-465C-8889-03245EECC2A2_png-2003049.JPG

You live in a park?

Not impossible.

The Adirondack Park isn’t entirely government owned.  It is more a designated region of numerous counties and there are hundreds of thousands of inholdings.  

Yet it is a POTA park.   I live about 10-15 miles from the “Blue Line”, the official Adirondack park boundary.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:23:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#27]
To activate a park, do you have to be operating with your gear on a picnic table or whatever, or is your vehicle mounted radio - parked inside the park - enough?

ETA:  Found the answer.  Yes, can be from a vehicle from inside the park.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:
To activate a park, do you have to be operating with your gear on a picnic table or whatever, or is your vehicle mounted radio - parked inside the park - enough?

ETA:  Found the answer.  Yes, can be from a vehicle from inside the park.
View Quote

We have wheelchair at work that is never used.

Think I am going to strap a man pack on the back with a 20m whip and run FT8 and go after the Lion RaDar Award.

Per POTA SITE
* RaDAR – Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio adds movement to portable operating. A RaDAR transition is moving the prescribed distance from your portable deployment after making five or more contacts:
Vehicles, motorcycles and motorboats, etc. (motorized transport) – 6km
Bicycles – 2km
On foot and paddle canoes – 1km
Wheelchairs – 500m

Lion Award: twelve RaDAR* transitions at or between entities during a 24 hour period
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Not impossible.

The Adirondack Park isn't entirely government owned.  It is more a designated region of numerous counties and there are hundreds of thousands of inholdings.  

Yet it is a POTA park.   I live about 10-15 miles from the "Blue Line", the official Adirondack park boundary.  
View Quote
While there are a lot of cases where one could live within the boundaries of a POTA designator, the rules require you and all your equipment be on publicly accessible, non-private land.  So even if your home was within the boundaries of a park/reference, you could not operate there on your private property and have it count.

I think I read of one guy who's back property line was adjacent to a POTA reference, just an undeveloped parcel of woodland.  He setup a semi-permanent wire antenna in the trees a couple yards across the property boundary and left it there.  Then whenever he wanted to activate the "park", he would carry his radio and a battery across his back yard and setup in a lawn chair a couple feet across the line, hookup to his antenna and get to work.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Lion Award: twelve RaDAR* transitions at or between entities during a 24 hour period
View Quote

That's...  60 contacts and 72 km of movement in a vehicle.  Seems like... a lot?  But i'm not usually a contester / chaser so I have no idea, really.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:19:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#31]

That's...  60 contacts and 72 km of movement in a vehicle.  Seems like... a lot?  But i'm not usually a contester / chaser so I have no idea, really.
View Quote

It’s a lot of movement, I have gotten the warthog 2 times.

The wheelchair would be a easy way to game it. Lol Find a park with a flat track on it.

It’s only 5 contacts per setup. So 500 meters 5 contacts then roll on!
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Callsign, vehicle and tag number. No go my friend on here.
View Quote

It looked like that pic was taken in your backyard..or someone's.  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm activating K1320 now on CW 14.062.  Yall drop by
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#34]

It looked like that pic was taken in your backyard..or someone's.  Just wondering.
View Quote

It was a historic frontier inn. Pretty cool place.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Activated earlier tonight mobile for the first time. Did well. Had 32 in about 30 mins. Best one was a guy north of the Arctic Circle.

Its still more fun to set up traditionally but mobile is convenient and fast. There's a WMA about 10 mins from my house. So gonna try for a kilo from
there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:15:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#36]
I activated 3 parks yesterday with 4 movements.

Got my Rhino.

Was hoping to get my 6 pack award and I miss read the rules. Thought you had to get 6 6m contacts which I did. Your supposed to get 10. Kinda pissed me off. Lol

All with IC-705 @ 10w

Still had fun.

Attachment Attached File

Last park with 6m & 20m.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

From my second park. Linked ghetto dipole made from wire to hang pictures and a Mountain Dew bottle.
Attachment Attached File

From my first park end fed half wave setup in inverted V. 40m only 2 movements
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I activated 3 parks yesterday with 4 movements.

Got my Rhino.

Was hoping to get my 6 pack award and I miss read the rules. Thought you had to get 6 6m contacts which I did. Your supposed to get 10. Kinda pissed me off. Lol

All with IC-705 @ 10w

Still had fun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/F9BEF036-8EA1-4F7C-B7FC-59C39E31C305_jpe-2009685.JPG

Last park with 6m & 20m.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/6085D125-B7A5-44AB-BF12-7856885DEA80_png-2009687.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/FC8BE0BE-B31C-4FD6-BE10-4497152F1A3A_png-2009688.JPG

From my second park. Linked ghetto dipole made from wire to hang pictures and a Mountain Dew bottle.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/66A42604-5595-46FF-A99C-30A469CBD0B2_png-2009689.JPG

From my first park end fed half wave setup in inverted V. 40m only 2 movements
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/3F9F0370-34EA-4751-87EC-ADC9802EDC50_png-2009690.JPG
View Quote

nice.

what antenna are you using? I see a wire or rope coming down from the top?
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Mach:

nice.

what antenna are you using? I see a wire or rope coming down from the top?
View Quote

This video shows the antenna.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 6:43:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#39]

View Quote
60 contacts? In POTA that's nothing. Triple digits at one park in a couple hours or even less isn't uncommon.

The driving I guess would be. But it's only 44 miles.

ETA:
This is 45 mins of late shift POTA
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/11/2021 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Gonna do an evening/late shift activation here in a few. I'll post my frequencies.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Gonna do an evening/late shift activation here in a few. I'll post my frequencies.
View Quote

I made contact with you at 23:59 UTC.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#42]
14343 for a bit
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:02:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#43]
we did 4 activations today.

it was a blast.

worked a mobile in TX at 2 different locations.

He said - "didn't I work you about an hour ago ?"

"yep, that was at the last POTA spot, and look for us again at the next one."

We also saw 2 lost looking coyote pups, and 2 turkeys fly up into a tree.

My wife actually enjoys logging. We are really having fun with this.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

Got another one today. Was skunked at another location with 0 contacts in 30 min
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:19:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#45]
Someday when work and family commitments settle down a bit, I want to try a POTA activation. For now I guess I will just chase you guys.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I activated 4 parks total while on vacation.

1 on the way down, 2 in FL and then 1 on the way home.

Box-R WMA
Attachment Attached File

Another park in St. Joe
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally got Washington state today. Down to I think 3 states for WAS in POTA.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#48]
I activated 4 parks total while on vacation.

1 on the way down, 2 in FL and then 1 on the way home.

Box-R WMA
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/43009E8F-7976-48B3-B133-5F1210D6F76E_jpe-2015273.JPG

Another park in St. Joe
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/43491D45-8FC2-4668-8D71-4CB2C4125E7D_png-2015274.JPG
View Quote

Jealous of you guys man. Some of my POTA attempts I never make a contact closer than 1,500 miles.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Jealous of you guys man. Some of my POTA attempts I never make a contact closer than 1,500 miles.
View Quote
You're kinda off on your own up there. I have still yet to even hear an Alaska station. Well verified, I might've heard you one night.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

day time in the midwest, 40m is regional

you can easily work stations a few states away….300-1000miles  away

I guess in Alaska, only canadian pines would receive you

I would love to visit and try some POTA up there

Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 2 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top