Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 10 of 55)
Page / 55
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a QSO on 40m with a guy doing POTA in CT yesterday (W1FYG  k-6875) and he was reading me at +40 over 9! Truly amazing for 100w and a wire in the trees.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]

did 2 more activations today.

QRPKITS 20/40m dipole works really well.  Leave the antenna tuner in the car LOL

Link Posted: 11/8/2021 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Good activation at 6565 today. Finally got a 60m contact and finished my N1CC. 92 closer to a kilo as well.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File
Finished my kilo today with 140 in 1.5 hrs.

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]

what is "kilo" ?  . . . . . 1000 POTA QSO's ?
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Derek45:

what is "kilo" ?  . . . . . 1000 POTA QSO's ?
View Quote
Yeah, from the same park.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73718/91198BCD-D64F-4842-9D19-026111EAE908_jpe-2168063.JPGFinished my kilo today with 140 in 1.5 hrs.

View Quote

That's awesome Rat. Nice work!
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73718/91198BCD-D64F-4842-9D19-026111EAE908_jpe-2168063.JPGFinished my kilo today with 140 in 1.5 hrs.

View Quote

All phone or mix ?
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

All phone or mix ?
View Quote
All phone at that one. Haven't finished learning code well enough to activate and just got my signal link up and going.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
anyone familiar with HAMRS and/or .ADI files?

I worked a double park today,

can I just make one log, then clone it, then find and replace one park number for another?

I don't want to type it all in 2x
View Quote
Yes, just edit the ADI file to change the park number in the "SIG_INFO" column for each contact.  And also change the park number in the file name, obviously.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]

can I just make one log, then clone it, then find and replace one park number for another?

View Quote

Yes download adif master and it’s super easy.

Also you can’t use duplicate times. You will have to shift the time by 1-2 min for there system to take it according to my POTA info reporter.

It’s easy with the adif master
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 10:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#15]
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 11:30:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#16]
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:24:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#17]
I just discovered that you can duplicate a file in HAMRS and actually change your park!

(go to LOGBOOKS and select the gear symbol for the log you want to change, and select DUPLICATE, it's self explanatory from there)

hopefully, this lesson learned will help someone.. now as far as POTA accepting files, IDK

POTA log handlers are volunteers, so we're at their mercy for upload times.
View Quote
That's good to know. There's only one twofer around here.

On a side note, I'm not sure if I'll be using HAMRS anymore. The app randomly shut down on me Monday. Luckily I only lost one QSO and I had it remembered since it was recent. But I've heard of HAMRS doing that and losing entire logs. So might be back to paper for me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#18]
That's good to know. There's only one twofer around here.

On a side note, I'm not sure if I'll be using HAMRS anymore. The app randomly shut down on me Monday. Luckily I only lost one QSO and I had it remembered since it was recent. But I've heard of HAMRS doing that and losing entire logs. So might be back to paper for me.
View Quote
I went ahead and spent the coin on the N3JFP log software when I started PC logging in the field.  It's made so it auto saves the log in a backup file every time you finish entering each QSO.  I've had sudden shutdowns from dead batteries and maybe one time where the PC locked up and needed a force reboot.  I've never lost an entry in it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 12:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#19]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
I went ahead and spent the coin on the N3JFP log software when I started PC logging in the field.  It's made so it auto saves the log in a backup file every time you finish entering each QSO.  I've had sudden shutdowns from dead batteries and maybe one time where the PC locked up and needed a force reboot.  I've never lost an entry in it.
View Quote
I use N3FJP at the house. I very well may start hauling my laptop with me. Seems safer. It's a great logging software to me. No complaints out of it at all.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#21]
my wife comes along and logs in HAMRS

at the same time, i run a paper log

HAMRS locked up once while looking at the built in map

thankfully, it saved every QSO

another time it got really sluggish, possibly because of a poor cell signal

( samsung tablet tethered to my iphone )

she really likes HAMRS, so we keep using it

…..and i keep logging on paper
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#24]

followup/FYI:

POTA uploaded my logs yesterday for a 2fer, and the system did it's thing over night.

Everything seems to have been accepted.

All I did was I copied the first park .adi file, gave it a proper name for the 2nd and changed only the info that was unique for the 2nd park.

I think that was the "hard" way to do it, as I discovered the option in HAMRS to do it in their app after the fact.
View Quote
The poster above was a bit off on needing to shift the times if you are activating two or more locations at once, you don't need to do that because the POTA system loads each log file as it's own thing, and doesn't check for dups across different files.

However, if you get a park-to-park with someone doing a twofer (or more), and you make a second QSO entry with them to enter the second reference, there you'll want to adjust the time a little between the two or else it will look like a duplicate in the same log when you go to submit yours.

That's all for POTA, now if you are also loading your logs onto QRZ or anything like that where it adds everything into one big rolling log file, there you might have duplicate issues if you tried to add two identical logs from activating a twofer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
The poster above was a bit off on needing to shift the times if you are activating two or more locations at once, you don't need to do that because the POTA system loads each log file as it's own thing, and doesn't check for dups across different files.

However, if you get a park-to-park with someone doing a twofer (or more), and you make a second QSO entry with them to enter the second reference, there you'll want to adjust the time a little between the two or else it will look like a duplicate in the same log when you go to submit yours.

That's all for POTA, now if you are also loading your logs onto QRZ or anything like that where it adds everything into one big rolling log file, there you might have duplicate issues if you tried to add two identical logs from activating a twofer.
View Quote

Just repeating what K4pota had told me to do. I have no idea how there system works.

I activated a 2 fer and SOTA and he called me and walked me thru how to change it. I was using HAMRS.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

Just repeating what K4pota had told me to do. I have no idea how there system works.

I activated a 2 fer and SOTA and he called me and walked me thru how to change it. I was using HAMRS.
View Quote
Confusion can happen on both sides, and they have changed their log processing system a little bit over time. I've done some twofers before and never had issues requiring shifting times.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

was that the elmer and chick in a park in FL both with 1 callsigns. I worked them mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 8:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#29]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Yesterday was nuts.  I had 32 P2P’s before I spotted myself on the POTA app.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 3:57:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bilymac:
Yesterday was nuts.  I had 32 P2P’s before I spotted myself on the POTA app.
View Quote

I wish it wasn't -10 here and windy... I need to do some shelter based POTA I guess
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok...some advice please.  Today I activated a park in WV CW.  It was a pileup.  You'd think WV has never been activated.  Even spotters were saying huge pileup..anyways..after I'd say qrz all I heard was brrrrrrrrr.  Everyone at once.  Seriously sounded like one tone.  I'm on a 891 and had filters going etc.  I'd have to keep asking qrz and maybe be able to pick out one letter.  What do you do?  I like POTA and have dealt with pileup before but this was crazy.  I've never heard of going split for parks...  any advice?
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 10:34:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#35]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#36]
I don't do code. But for phone it happens where all you hear is a roar of voices. Usually if it happens and I can't pick out anything then I'll do regions, QRP, Mobile and park to park in a rotation until it dies down to a manageable level.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I did an 'early' activation for a park I just happened to be at for a job related function,
and got in a nice amount for 20m at 8am... 8 were EU DX stations!

thats a big thing for me, for the times I was able to be on the air back in CO, EU was hard to come by.
View Quote
Early morning is pretty good stuff with the DX.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 9:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#39]
Originally Posted By KD5TXX:
Ok...some advice please.  Today I activated a park in WV CW.  It was a pileup.  You'd think WV has never been activated.  Even spotters were saying huge pileup..anyways..after I'd say qrz all I heard was brrrrrrrrr.  Everyone at once.  Seriously sounded like one tone.  I'm on a 891 and had filters going etc.  I'd have to keep asking qrz and maybe be able to pick out one letter.  What do you do?  I like POTA and have dealt with pileup before but this was crazy.  I've never heard of going split for parks...  any advice?
View Quote

Pay attention to the noise.  THEY (WE!) are waiting for you to do something.  When you send QRZ the majority will start sending and you will get the pileup you are experiencing, but wait a few seconds.  The mass will quieten down because they are waiting to see if YOU send something.  But there will likely be a few stations when it gets thin that you can hear all or part of a callsign.  Pick one of the tail-enders, call for what you can hear (i.e. W4? ONLY) and move on.  Repeat as necessary since you might still get 2 or 3 callers.  You'll get it down to one clear call sooner or later.  Eventually it will be relatively quiet at the beginning when everyone picks up on your game, but then you just pick one at the beginning when you call QRZ.  It's all part of the pileup game ;)

ETA ... And RED_5 is right.  They should slow down to YOUR sending speed but there are some with big egos that just won't slow down.  My advice is to ignore them until they either go away or slow down.  It's not rocket science and sooner or later even the dullest of them will come to the conclusion that they are sending too fast for you to copy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 1:53:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

Pay attention to the noise.  THEY (WE!) are waiting for you to do something.  When you send QRZ the majority will start sending and you will get the pileup you are experiencing, but wait a few seconds.  The mass will quieten down because they are waiting to see if YOU send something.  But there will likely be a few stations when it gets thin that you can hear all or part of a callsign.  Pick one of the tail-enders, call for what you can hear (i.e. W4? ONLY) and move on.  Repeat as necessary since you might still get 2 or 3 callers.  You'll get it down to one clear call sooner or later.  Eventually it will be relatively quiet at the beginning when everyone picks up on your game, but then you just pick one at the beginning when you call QRZ.  It's all part of the pileup game ;)

ETA ... And RED_5 is right.  They should slow down to YOUR sending speed but there are some with big egos that just won't slow down.  My advice is to ignore them until they either go away or slow down.  It's not rocket science and sooner or later even the dullest of them will come to the conclusion that they are sending too fast for you to copy.
View Quote

I had been calling on tailenders.  I hesitated because I read on QRZ that it is bad practice to be a tailender.  Honestly, I am QRP most of the time, so that's the only way I get heard sometimes.  I activate at 18 wpm usually, honestly most are slower.  I just find it takes forever if I go slower, and chasers can listen a few rounds and get my call if that is fast for them.  Thanks for the advice.  I totally forgot about calling by groups.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By KD5TXX:

I had been calling on tailenders.  I hesitated because I read on QRZ that it is bad practice to be a tailender.  Honestly, I am QRP most of the time, so that's the only way I get heard sometimes.  I activate at 18 wpm usually, honestly most are slower.  I just find it takes forever if I go slower, and chasers can listen a few rounds and get my call if that is fast for them.  Thanks for the advice.  I totally forgot about calling by groups.
View Quote

A CW pileup is difficult.  Unlike SSB everything, as you noted, has much the same tone to it so it's very difficult to sort one call out from the rest unless one is just obviously stronger than the rest.  Just do the best you can.

18 wpm is not slow by any means.  I worked a POTA station yesterday that was sending at 8 words per minute and that was slow!  There was a strong station calling him at about 20 wpm with long spacing between the characters at the same time I called him at 8 wpm to match his speed.  I got called, the fast guy never did.  It isn't hard to figure out.

Don't worry about calling the tailenders.  By definition someone always has to be the last to call, just make use of what you need to keep things moving forward.  Someone will find fault with everything and say it's "Bad Practice".  I don't know if it is or not but I do know it's common and likely that we all do it at some point.  Ignore the nay sayers and do what you want.  You are the calling station and you can run things the way you want to.  Keep things fair for everyone and nobody can complain too much.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Only bad thing about calling too many tailenders is if people figure this out, they will start intentionally delaying and then someone else goes longer. I've had people calling while I'm trying to answer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Hadn’t done an activation for a while but GF and I hit up a favorite local park last weekend.  Ran 40 CW QSO’s on 20 & 40m in a half hour and then resumed hiking.  Been a mild fall, hope this weather keeps up!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:36:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#45]
K-5283 is currently on 7187 with two operators, father and son (kid).

1145- About to QRT and they have a pileup.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:
Hadn’t done an activation for a while but GF and I hit up a favorite local park last weekend.  Ran 40 CW QSO’s on 20 & 40m in a half hour and then resumed hiking.  Been a mild fall, hope this weather keeps up!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359275/E89F4DFD-14B0-4916-B3FD-0D9D2B081A01_jpe-2180503.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359275/85295119-4D20-44C3-957A-3ABD887CC635_jpe-2180505.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#47]

did a quick activation today.

Every QSO was a Park to Park

....15 QSO's

every damned one was another park.

pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

did a quick activation today.

Every QSO was a Park to Park

....15 QSO's

every damned one was another park.

pretty cool.
View Quote

Just a couple years ago, you’d be hard pressed to find 15 other POTA ops on at the same time.

GF and I hit up a couple parks last weekend, one old favorite and one new to us.  Twenty-five QSO’s one day and seventeen the next.  On Sunday, in what I thought was the quietest part of the woods, a guy strolled by and stopped to see what we were up to. He took our picture and got some info to do an article about us and POTA for a state park newsletter.  Had some great wildlife viewing Saturday, Sunday we saw almost nothing.

And because this is Arfcom, CCW for the day was my old gen 3 G26

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Not playing radio as much lately as I am trying to tag a buck like that.  Or any legal buck.
Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 10 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top