Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 10:12:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 10:15:10 AM EDT by jeffers_mz]
Having a BOL/BIL well prepped is good for your peace of mind, but then you begin to realize all your eggs are in one basket.

How do you...diversify? Ideally, I'd have at least two other small stockpiles, some water, basic survival supplies, fuel, weapons and ammunition, cash or PMs or both, somewhere away from my primary location, in case access to home was denied for whatever reason.

Buying a small plot of land solves some access issues, but then you have to worry about weather and security. As soon as you put a house or shed on the land, it becomes a target for looters, thieves, and squatters, and you can only sleep or occupy one place at a time, you can't atch multiple locations.

As soon as you cache something on any land you don't hold clear title to, you run the risk of denied access, or having a buried cache paved over, or dug up by some legitimate project, etc.

If you set up a network where friends store some things at your place, and you store things at their's, they will know it's there, and if their survival is threatened, I'm not sure you culd count on them starving and still leaving your cache alone.

Canned food and water, perhaps ammunition, are at risk to freezing, and water damage, unless in a controlled, heated environment, or below frost line, and by the time you establish a fullrange of supplies, you'd be looking at a backhoe sized hole.

How do you establish back-up caches? Get all your eggs out of one basket, give yourself some fallback contingencies? How do you overcome the problems described above, and overcome other problems I have not listed or even thought of yet?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:06:16 AM EDT
or even remember where they are.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:15:17 AM EDT
True friends are a valuable asset.
I don't have lots but i do have a few and they have guns gear and food.

I know lot's of people and i'm friendly with quite a few........... but if theirs a question of weather they would leave you hanging well they aren't a true friend.
Learning people is quite possibly one of the hardest things in life to do.......
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:25:36 AM EDT
it's a gamble all around - with a good BOL, you always have to worry about security. Plus, enough supplies to get there - that's the easy part, but what about contingency at your primary in case something happens to your BOL or you can't get to it? then you end up doubling all supplies?

oh the horror of the thinking man....
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:18:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:41:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By acman145acp:

+1000
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:49:23 PM EDT
Go read the links on the Survival blog that talk about how to hide stuff well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:12:49 PM EDT
If Possible have 2 caches. 1 shared with a few close friends. A 2nd on property no one else knows you own.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:51:48 PM EDT
This is a good topic Jeff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:10:53 PM EDT
As we plan to head for the hills. I have many like minded friends around. Not only that but some of them do not posses the skills I do so it works out in the end. After all 1 man would be run ragged trying to do everything all the time day in and day out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:17:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By acman145acp:
I don't have lots but i do have a few and they have guns gear and food.

I know lot's of people and i'm friendly with quite a few........... but if theirs a question of weather they would leave you hanging well they aren't a true friend.
Learning people is quite possibly one of the hardest things in life to do.......

I't's like fighting three wars on two fronts. Hard to do.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:11:38 AM EDT
I have one place "semi-prepped" out of state, but unless I get a BIG headstart, or it's a SHTF for just me, doubt I could get there in a real emergency: expect total gridlock.
One of my brothers is very well situated/set up, and I can acces his place from here by water, IF I pick my day.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:51:06 AM EDT
One possible alternative to all this is to emulate the Mountain men of the 19th century. They survived in hostile territory by moving often, in a group. Perhaps this would be a viable course of action instead of trying to fortify a fixed location that can be put under siege.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:57:45 AM EDT
BIL is well stocked, and even a little crowded. The threat of fire might force me out, but I'm reasonably sure a good rifle outranges the arm of a Molotov Cocktail thrower, if you're on guard when he acts. Catch him before he releases, and his second is likely to think twice before even picking one up.

Still, I could see a secondary stockpile of food and supplies if the primary became unusable for any reason.

I could also see a rifle, pistol, cash, PM's, ammo, and a cleaning kit stored in a location only you know about.

Options include :

1. A self store warehouse. Probably unheated, precluding storage of water or canned food. Possible rodent risk, dried food would have to be well protcted.

2. Unimproved acreage. You'd incur maintenece time here, unless you let it go to weeds and brush, which would attract attention in some cases. If you sharecropped it out, you'd have to bury a stockpile deep to avoid spring plowing. Any structure on the land, even a shed, would atttract attention, perhaps even squatters, if SHTF. Unheated structure subject to freezing risk and rodent risk too.

3. Improved acreage, again maintenece costs, plus squatter/theft risk, but you'd be able to keep minimal heat on and have a better chance protecting against rodents.

4. Second house or rental in a city. Risk here is that access could be problematic in SHTF aftermath. Again manitenence, property taxes, etc.

5. Buried cache. In addition to insect and water damage, you have to worry about discovery, and not being able to access the cache if local conditions change.

6. Friends. Problem here is would you really ask a good friend to starve his kids just so you can maintain backup supplies you aren't using? if they aren't close friends, and you don't care if they starve, then can you trust them enough not to raid your supplies?

i'm beginning to think there is no perfect solution, so any progresss along these lines will likely be something of a gamble, though some of the risks listed above could be mitigated if well considered in advance.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:04:07 AM EDT
Has anyone thought about pre positioned vehicles?

A small suv could be filled with a second set of BOB's a food and the likes. Put it on jack stands to keep the tires from getting flat spots and fill the tank with treated gas.

I remember reading once where in certain cities the police had a similar set up for if they were unable to get to the station and needed to deploy in an emergency.

If you were bugging out you could put this cache about 2/3 the distance of your fuel to your destination or maybe closer if you are one who does not keep a full tank.

If you went with like a mini storage I would put rat poison around the perimeter inside to reduce visitors, a friend did this when she was building her house and there was 2 rats there when she moved out but none in her stuff.
Top Top