Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/26/2014 10:55:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2014 10:57:01 AM EDT by danpass]
A cursory title search didn't bring this up ......

I was at Walmart in the Camping section and this $10 tarp caught my eye.

I opened the bag and discovered it was nylon and not vinyl ....... hmmmmm. My interest was piqued.

A quick phone search gave a couple of mostly positive results and I figured the one specific negative could be addressed.

So some quick surgery with Gorilla tape and the grommet areas were now reinforced.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:34:08 AM EDT
I bought one a year ago went to set up a tight pitch A-Frame and the peak grommet ripped out. I figure my bad for strong arming it but not going to waste time with another one. I wasn't a fan of grommets before I am fairly certain nylon loops would have worked better.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:44:58 PM EDT
Can't make a 1443R Tyvek tarp for $10. May have to take a look at this next time I'm in the store, can't hurt to keep in the trunk.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:33:25 PM EDT
Have had very bad luck with cheap tarps.

The grommets pull out along with the rope they use around the perimeter.
Very loose weaving allowing rain/snow through very easy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:42:51 PM EDT
I keep one of those in my backpacking kit as a backup shelter to my tent.

I carry a tent but always want a backup. I have only set it up in my yard a couple times but have also tapped around the corners to strengthen it.

one thing to keep in mind, I had this packed for about a year and in the bag it came in along with 4 sections if 6 foot 550, took it out to use it to cover some firewood and the coating on one side suck to its self very bad. I had trouble getting it apart but it did come apart without damage but worried me, I folded it the other way this time.
Top Top