Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2014 10:55:21 AM EDT
A cursory title search didn't bring this up ......

I was at Walmart in the Camping section and this $10 tarp caught my eye.

I opened the bag and discovered it was nylon and not vinyl ....... hmmmmm. My interest was piqued.

A quick phone search gave a couple of mostly positive results and I figured the one specific negative could be addressed.

So some quick surgery with Gorilla tape and the grommet areas were now reinforced.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one a year ago went to set up a tight pitch A-Frame and the peak grommet ripped out.  I figure my bad for strong arming it but not going to waste time with another one.  I wasn't a fan of grommets before I am fairly certain nylon loops would have worked better.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't make a 1443R Tyvek tarp for $10. May have to take a look at this next time I'm in the store, can't hurt to keep in the trunk.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Have had very bad luck with cheap tarps.

The grommets pull out along with the rope they use around the perimeter.

Very loose weaving allowing rain/snow through very easy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep one of those in my backpacking kit as a backup shelter to my tent.

I carry a tent but always want a backup.   I have only set it up in my yard a couple times but have also tapped around the corners to strengthen it.  

one thing to keep in mind, I had this packed for about a year and in the bag it came in along with 4 sections if 6 foot 550, took it out to use it to cover some firewood and the coating on one side suck to its self very bad.  I had trouble getting it apart but it did come apart without damage but worried me, I folded it the other way this time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top