Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 6:13:19 PM EDT
A few clubs got together for this Field Day.  Fun was had by all (I think).  We ran 1A for the full twenty-four hours with only one 30 minute quiet period when someone said that the food was ready.  

The food and BSing pavilion :

Our operating tent.  My power wagon is just barely visible behind the table.  Four, 100 watt panels were out in the field behind the tent.  If you aren't operating, logging, or feeding the inmates, STAY OUT!

People brought some fun stuff for show-and-tell:

The 6m we used for demos and some free points.

Some fleas were marketed:

A Mag-mount on a pizza plate on a pole:

A circular thingy with another circular thingy inside it:

I thought that we would have to call a doctor . . . the erection took way too long.

About mid afternoon one club's new Fusion repeater showed up.  We could NOT convince the trustee to let us hook it up.

There were a few other show-and-tell setups that I didn't get pictures of, sorry.

73 from our 2015 Field Day, The Ancient Modulators, Jefferson County Amateur Radio Club, and the Pacific Meramec Amateur Radio Club.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
How were you a 1A station?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question: How were you a 1A station?
View Quote

We had only one station making contacts for score and we didn't switch stations at all.  Any other operating was to demo to the public.

ETA:  The operating tent was off limits to the public or anyone not involved in operating.  The only power came from the battery bank, which was charged only by the solar panels.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

it seems you could be whatever you wanted. i logged a contact that was 19A. i guess every member of their club brought their radios with them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We had only one station making contacts for score and we didn't switch stations at all.  Any other operating was to demo to the public.

ETA:  The operating tent was off limits to the public or anyone not involved in operating.  The only power came from the battery bank, which was charged only by the solar panels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the box fan in your operating tent running on DC power?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  The power wagon has one 1,200/2,400 watt modified sine wave inverter and one 600 watt pure sine wave converter to provide A/C.  It also has a marine boost regulator to provide a constant 13.8 volts until the batteries drop to 11 volts, which they never did.  We also had a small fluorescent lamp for night ops.  When we started on Saturday, the batteries showed 12.5 volts.  At the end they had dropped to 12.0 volts.  Most of Saturday was cloudy, so the solar panels didn't provide much help, but when the sun was out I saw charging as high as 275 watts.

Here's a better view of the power wagon:

The pure sine wave inverter and the boost regulator:

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

it seems you could be whatever you wanted. i logged a contact that was 19A. i guess every member of their club brought their radios with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard that some clubs entered with high station counts even though they operated only one or two.  Registering as a 19A (and we logged a 23A) simply means that you're probably the only station in that class in your state -- guarantying a win.  We wanted an honest score, so we registered and ran 1A.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top