Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 10:50:37 PM EDT
I'm going to be doing some hog hunting in the coming weeks with my 16" AR.  I was wondering should I use a red dot, fixed power or something like a 1-6x?  A few guys prefer the 1-6x while others have said red dot.  I do have a astigmatism and some night hunting will be going on.  I was debating about getting one of each using a quick detach mount to put in my hunting pack, if need calls for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go 1-6x.  I have used reddots, and even reddots with 3x and 5x magnifiers.  A 1-6x scope is a great setup.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
How far are you shooting? Range and personal eyesight will dictate whether or not you need magnification.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
LPVO is best.  You can use the low power for close up or running shots and crank up the mag for picking them off at distance.  Illuminated reticle is nice too.

Best place to shoot them is the neck.  Lung shots are shit with 5.56 but I will do it on runners.  6.8spc is a great round for hogs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Decide on 1st or 2nd focal plane, and look for reviews of the POI shifts feom low to max mag.

Alot of cheaper variable scopes have bad POI shit.
If you find that yoir scope does shift, set it for middle mag and sight it in for 3/4 mag of what you estimate you max range shot will be.
This gives you alil head room and ability to zoom in alil more for smaller body animals.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I have kinda old eyes so the magnification would help out.  I was thinking about a combo with a illuminated cross hairs or dot in the middle.  I don't think shots will be a 100 yards so inside of 75.  I'm just ready to start putting these beast down.  They cause horrible problems around here destroying peoples land and doing as they wish.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:24:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Trijicons chevron is the best for tired eye,
Chevron with lower cross hair mill dots is my fav.
As hunters we wait til the animal stops, so side to side mill dots are just a distraction
upper mill dots are completely use less forunder 200 yard shots, so also a distraction.

Find a scope that has the reticle that you like, dont settle on one "that works, but ya dont like this or that".

IMO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have kinda old eyes so the magnification would help out.  I was thinking about a combo with a illuminated cross hairs or dot in the middle.  I don't think shots will be a 100 yards so inside of 75.  I'm just ready to start putting these beast down.  They cause horrible problems around here destroying peoples land and doing as they wish.
View Quote
What you described is very much like the Leupold VX-R Hog 1.25-4x20mm with Fire Dot Pig Plex reticle.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What you described is very much like the Leupold VX-R Hog 1.25-4x20mm with Fire Dot Pig Plex reticle.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Leupold-Plex.png
View Quote
I like that set up right there.  How is it at night and in low light?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Leupold-Plex.png
One of the best scopes for low light, for night you'll need night vision.  The VX-R glass is amazing for the price, you'd think you are looking through a scope that is twice the price.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I hunt hogs with AR carbine for close range and AR Rifle for longer range.
Carbine use used mostly for stalking where 25-50 yards is the norm and 100 yards are rare.  On my carbine I have 2-7X32mm scope and I almost always end up shooting it on 2X power.  
I use the AR rifle while stand hunting over open land where 100 yard shots are the norm and 200+ yards are not uncommon.  On my rifle I have a 3-9X50mm scope and I almost always shoot it with the scope set at 9x power.  I've killed hogs out to 270 paces with this rig.  I'm considering mounting a 4-16X50 on this rifle to get some more magnification.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hunt hogs with AR carbine for close range and AR Rifle for longer range.
Carbine use used mostly for stalking where 25-50 yards is the norm and 100 yards are rare.  On my carbine I have 2-7X32mm scope and I almost always end up shooting it on 2X power.  
...snipped...  
View Quote
yobo has a good point regarding carbine vs rifle

The Mueller 2-7x32mm Multishot reticle also has illuminated dot very similar to the VX-R (not quite so pricey)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a good shot with a red dot and as a defensive weapon my main optic is an Aimpoint Pro, that being said I have always gotten more kills with a magnified optic, a 1-6x or 1-4x is ideal in my opinion. I love shooting my AR's but my Browning BAR in .270 with a standard 3-9x is the most effective long arm I own in eradicating pigs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of the hog's I kill during the day are with a Red Field 4 X 12 with the accu-range reticle.  At night I have a Gen 1+ ATN  that's killed a couple of truck loads of pigs out to 150 yards or so. Then I got the pulsar thermal optic and I love it. I'm just to stupid to plug it up right or unplug it when I need it.  Or I forget to hit record
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the chance to handle a Vortex PST 1-4x today.  Can this be a nice scope for hog hunting and target shooting?  I like the dot and magnification with my astigmatism and don't get a blur.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had the chance to handle a Vortex PST 1-4x today.  Can this be a nice scope for hog hunting and target shooting?  I like the dot and magnification with my astigmatism and don't get a blur.
View Quote
I don't see why not if it's clear and fits your range requirements. I have leupold 1 X 4 MKAR that I like and keep out of the safe for around the house weapon.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I purchased a Steiner P4Xi and the glass is amazing.  The red dot really looks great and its day light bright.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I purchased a Steiner P4Xi and the glass is amazing.  The red dot really looks great and its day light bright.
View Quote
Yeah, the 20mm scopes are pretty poor for low light. The one you have is 43% better. A 30/40mm would really help.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I use low power scopes- 5x magnification max.

I have found them to be fast on moving pigs at low mag levels (1-2x) and decent at longer range (5x).

One of these days, I'm gonna invest in NV and thermal, but not until I get back on a decent leaser.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, the 20mm scopes are pretty poor for low light. The one you have is 43% better. A 30/40mm would really help.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  I'll use this one until I get bored with it or build another AR platform.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I use a 1-6 mostly.  Don't forget that sometimes you'll be using that top end to scan and or id targets, not just for shooting, unless you're going to carry binocs.

And I don't know what the dude is talking about not shooting when moving, I shoot from the time I see them until I can't see them any more, from 1 to several hundred yards.

I LOVE Primary Arms' ACSS reticle, it is ideal for my uses, but their cheap commie glass stinks in low light.  The cheap 1-6 is a great scope for the price, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm definitely enjoying my Steiner P4Xi right now.  I'm thinking about taking it out tomorrow morning and see what I can find.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I have several red dots, an ACOG, and a 3-12x scope.

For hogs within 200 yards, get a red dot.

For within 100, a red dot is really the only option...any magnification just screws you up

my record is 3 hogs (no spray and pray, these were well aimed shots) with a small gap to shoot in.  The name of the game for multiple hogs is target acquisition speed, and nothing beats a red dot for that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm enjoying the 1X/Red dot feature on the Steiner.  I'm looking forward to seeing what these 55 grain Hornady SP can do.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
This the scope I run on my .50 Beowulf, it's a fantastic optic.  Nowaday's they make one with and without the illuminated "FireDot" reticle and would HIGHLY recommend the illuminated FireDot reticle.  It also has the auto off feature that turns back on when you move it.  The illuminated FireDot has multiple brightness settings so you're covered for night shoots.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would go 1-6x.  I have used reddots, and even reddots with 3x and 5x magnifiers.  A 1-6x scope is a great setup.
View Quote
At a cost of weight.  Carrying a 1-6x all night?  No thanks.  Stalk hunt get an RDS.

Save for NODs and an IR laser
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top