This.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
skip it and find a used IC-718 instead

Lack of fully adjustable power sucks, especially in digital modes
View Quote

Well, not quite.  Best practice is to leave power set to full 100 w output, but control actual power out (preferably by watching an external power meter) by adjusting the audio drive from computer to radio.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well, not quite.  Best practice is to leave power set to full 100 w output, but control actual power out (preferably by watching an external power meter) by adjusting the audio drive from computer to radio.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Alinco is a good rig, worth what they charge for it. Set your digital power with your audio drive level, not with the rig power settings, as Jupiter says...

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC the QST write-up on this rig showed it had some serious flaws

Does it have optional DSP or narrow filters ?

Friends Don't let friends buy Alinco

your better off with a used Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood.

I work a lot of digital and CW, and I like being able to roll my power up and down

Once I set my ALC, I'm adjusting power...SSB, RTTY, PSK, etc.

Also, narrow filters are a must in crowded PSK bands.

IC-718 or TS-480 are better rigs, popular, available in the used market

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow lots of hate for the alinco... I have one, works great... Its a no frills basic HF rig... Works great for a basic part time user,  I wouldn't suggest it to some one who lives in front of their radio but for the guy that does some SSB voice and digital here and there its a great affordable rig...  I use mine with a doner digital interface and I have no issues working digital with it...  I actually like the radio better then the other two I have owned/ TS440SAT & FT817ND.  I have used several other HF rigs and still prefer the basic function of my alinco.  While you can't really compare it to some of the radios that are double the cost it is still a great starter rig or some one who wants a no frills basic modern unit...  I would also classify it as a really good back up HF rig.

How many of those bashing the Alinco own one or have used one for more then a few minutes?  I am not saying its as good as a TS2000 or any of the $1000 rigs but it is a good afordable unit, I like it better then the Icom, not to mention its almost $200 cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, Alinco is a good rig, worth what they charge for it. Set your digital power with your audio drive level, not with the rig power settings, as Jupiter says...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct its very easy to do,  I had to do the same back when I worked digital on my old TS440.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a $500 radio.  If you remember that it didn't cost four times that, it's a good radio.  A friend of mine has one, and while it doesn't have an incredible amount of filtering, it does get the job done.  

I could not get the internal keyer set in a manner that made me perfectly happy, I was able to make contacts fairly quickly after plugging in my key.  I did not try it on SSB, but did notice that it does not do 6m, which may or may not be a big deal for you.  

I think you could do a lot worse for $500.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow lots of hate for the alinco... I have one, works great... Its a no frills basic HF rig... Works great for a basic part time user,  I wouldn't suggest it to some one who lives in front of their radio but for the guy that does some SSB voice and digital here and there its a great affordable rig...  I use mine with a doner digital interface and I have no issues working digital with it...  I actually like the radio better then the other two I have owned/ TS440SAT & FT817ND.  I have used several other HF rigs and still prefer the basic function of my alinco.  While you can't really compare it to some of the radios that are double the cost it is still a great starter rig or some one who wants a no frills basic modern unit...  I would also classify it as a really good back up HF rig.

How many of those bashing the Alinco own one or have used one for more then a few minutes?  I am not saying its as good as a TS2000 or any of the $1000 rigs but it is a good afordable unit, I like it better then the Icom, not to mention its almost $200 cheaper.
View Quote

I agree, I have one and for ssb voice it works very well, I have made many cross-country contacts with it as well as Brazil, Hawaii etc....  It is a great unit for a dabbling hobbyist whose money should really be spent on motorcycle stuff........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top