Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 7:28:41 PM EDT
Ok, call me crazy but I have never heard or seen one of them before till I was looking over at some oil lanterns on Lehman's site for another thread, and got to looking around and found them...

Olive oil lamps

Thinking these would be more user friendly if the lights went out in the summer for use in the house where a regular oil lantern or lamp may put off too much heat, plus these won't burn if knocked over, as the oil will douse the flame.  Plus, with it being non-petroleum, no one would bitch about any smell...

I'm thinking christmas presents as well....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you use olive oil in a regular oil lamp?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#2]
thats pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
can you use less expensive cooking oil?

>YES YOU CAN!!!

This eco-friendly little lamp really shines. It burns olive oil, a renewable, inexpensive fuel!. Safe since it can’t catch on fire if tipped over––the oil will douse the wick. Burns 12 hours per fill with olive oil. Also burns vegetable oil, other liquid fats and grease. 1⁄8"OD round wick. 16 ...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Now that I looked at how simple they are, I think I may end up making some.  Gonna have to go to Lowes or ACE and see if I can get some 12gauge steel wire, and some cotton wicks....  I have pint, and half pint jars....

Why buy Christmas presents, hell I'll make em

Ah hell I hate it when I get good ideas
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That I don't know.  I'm guessing probably not, as the olive oil would burn alot slower.  Like I said I just don't know.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That I don't know.  I'm guessing probably not, as the olive oil would burn alot slower.  Like I said I just don't know.

According to a quick Google search, olive oil doesn't draw up the wick nearly as well as kerosine  - Which means that it only works if the lamp is filled full enough to minimize the distance between it and the flame. As the oil is depleted, the wicking stops, and the lamp goes out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]
MAKE YOUR OWN!

All you need is the olive oil, a cotton ball and a saucer.  Take a piece of the cotton ball and roll it so it looks like a Hershey's Kiss.  Place the cotton in the saucer and allow it to become impregnated  in the oil and light the tip of the wick.  
Done with items you already have in your home.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Corning made a product called "Uncandles" in the '70s that used a plastic disk as a wick holder, floated on vegetable oil.  We have a couple and they work fine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Burning olive oil for light is a waste.  It is food.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:02:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

so's corn, but we keep dumping into our gas tanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#11]
It really wouldn't hurt you guys to learn some history. Many things that are thousands of years old seem to suprise you guys lol
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you had 10 gallons of olive oil and were sitting in the dark.... U'd burn it
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not me. If I had 10 gallons of olive oil, I'd go grab Daryl Hannah and Valerie Quennessen and have a party.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, when this black Friday madness calms down, maybe this weekend I'll hit up ACE, and see what I can find.  I know they sell wicks, and they should have some 12gauge steel wire, or something close to it.  I always have jars and olive oil, so.....
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Flat wick lamps of all kinds appear to be recent developments.  In KC, there is a steamboat museum for the Arabia, a boat that sunk in the 1840s.  There were a lot of whale oil lamps on board.  They were small glass vessels sort of like modern kerosine lamps, but smaller with round wicks.  The wicks were about an eight of an inch in diameter.  They were the only lamps on the boat.  Whale oil would burn a lot like olive oil or veggie oil.

Here's a link to the museum.
http://www.1856.com/
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not me. If I had 10 gallons of olive oil, I'd go grab Daryl Hannah and Valerie Quennessen and have a party.

With Valerie Quennessen's dessicated corpse?  Eww.

I thought people used things like kerosene for fuel specifically because you couldn't eat it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Kerosine was probably just cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#18]
You guys never watched Mr Wizards World growing up, did you?

They took a mini aluminum pie pan and some thick cotton string with a couple of 5/16 - 3/8 nuts to hold the string upright in the pan, poured a little vegetable oil in the pan and lit the wick.

I tried it when I was a kid and it works. Smoke a bit though, but makes a decent impromptu lantern.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm holding out for a bacon lamp
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

hmmm... I just fried some up. How would you keep it liquid?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could use Bacon grease, but like you said keeping it liquid.  Maybe The flame would heat it enough?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could use Bacon grease, but like you said keeping it liquid.  Maybe The flame would heat it enough?

I just strained a bit leftover from breakfast. It's still warm since the turkey is roasting in the oven. Maybe it will mix 50/50 with olive oil?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just strained a bit leftover from breakfast. It's still warm since the turkey is roasting in the oven. Maybe it will mix 50/50 with olive oil?

Try it, let us know....
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Olive oil was the go-to fuel in lamps for millenniums......Hanukkah and all that jazz
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try it, let us know....

It was  fine at room temperature, but I put it in the refrigerator for an hour and it solidified.

So no go below 50 degrees.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try it, let us know....

It was  fine at room temperature, but I put it in the refrigerator for an hour and it solidified.

So no go below 50 degrees.

What the hell you need a lamp in the fridge for

I still think maybe the heat of it burning would keep it from solidifying to a certain extent...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same way a candle works. The flame from the initial lighting melts a small pool, which then feeds the flame.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Guys, any cooking oil can be used the same way, just get a piece of cotton cord to use as a wick, wrap some wire around it to keep it up and put it in a wide jar, tuna can, or plate with some oil.
The soaked wick will take a few second to heat up with a match or lighter, but once it does it will burn the fuel like an ordinary candle (a pretty smoky one, but it does work)
As this guy put it in his review,
This lamp is a glass jar with a wire holder in it for the wick. That is all. A glass jar with a lid, a holder and a wick. It is not worth $15.00. I would not buy another one.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Ok, just for proof of concept, olive oil and bacon grease at room temp, using a piece of cotton t-shirt for a wick.

If I had some cotton string, I'm sure I could do better.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Guys, any cooking oil can be used the same way, just get a piece of cotton cord to use as a wick, wrap some wire around it to keep it up and put it in a wide jar, tuna can, or plate with some oil.
The soaked wick will take a few second to heat up with a match or lighter, but once it does it will burn the fuel like an ordinary candle (a pretty smoky one, but it does work)
As this guy put it in his review,
This lamp is a glass jar with a wire holder in it for the wick. That is all. A glass jar with a lid, a holder and a wick. It is not worth $15.00. I would not buy another one.
FerFAL

Exactly, that's why I'm gonna get the stuff and make them.  After the snow storm a few weeks ago, and folks being out of power over a week here, I think they would be loved as x-mas gifts
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What?  Olive oil is what I refer to as a '2fer'.  It has literally dozens of uses, is cheap, and can be stored with no special care required.  Some of the uses, just to name a few:

1)  cooking
2)  lamp oil
3)  skin moisturizer
4)  shaving cream
5)  cough control
6)  treatment for lice
7)  treatment for ear aches
8)  sunburn treatment
9)  gun lube in a pinch

With as many uses as this stuff has, it should be in every preppers stash.  I personally have 7 homemade olive oil lamps that I've used for years and they work great and get great mileage on the small amount of oil required to fuel them.  But, it don't work for shit in a standard hurricane type oil lamp, the oil is too thick to travel up the wick.  Burns fairly clean with no offensive odor.  You can use a baby food jar with a length of clothes hanger coiled into the jar and pinched closed at the top to hold your wick tip.  Install the wick, fill with oil and your in business.  You can use any container you wish, but the baby food jars are small, easy to pack/transport, and resealable.  Also, cotton clothes line material makes an excellent wick choice.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?  Olive oil is what I refer to as a '2fer'.  It has literally dozens of uses, is cheap, and can be stored with no special care required.  Some of the uses, just to name a few:

1)  cooking
2)  lamp oil
3)  skin moisturizer
4)  shaving cream
5)  cough control
6)  treatment for lice
8)  sunburn treatment
9)  gun lube in a pinch

With as many uses as this stuff has, it should be in every preppers stash.  I personally have 7 homemade olive oil lamps that I've used for years and they work great and get great mileage on the small amount of oil required to fuel them.  But, it don't work for shit in a standard hurricane type oil lamp, the oil is too thick to travel up the wick.  Burns fairly clean with no offensive odor.  You can use a baby food jar with a length of clothes hanger coiled into the jar and pinched closed at the top to hold your wick tip.  Install the wick, fill with oil and your in business.  You can use any container you wish, but the baby food jars are small, easy to pack/transport, and resealable.  Also, cotton clothes line material makes an excellent wick choice.

If you are in such dire straits that you need to burn something for light, then your situation also requires that you conserve all edible calories.  Those 9 uses do not require olive oil.  Does anyone have an olive grove for when they run out of olive oil after SHTF?    I doubt it.   Olive oil is expensive (mostly imported) food, and burning it for light is ridiculous.  It is calorie dense and it should be used as food.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow, I had no idea that olive oil could burn...I love this place

My wife just discarded two big bottles of canola cooking oil that apparently went bad. Rather than throwing away rancid cooking oil, I wonder if that could be adapted for fuel use as well?

Off to Google I go...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1)  cooking
2)  lamp oil
3)  skin moisturizer
4)  shaving cream
5)  cough control
6)  treatment for lice
8)  sunburn treatment
9)  gun lube in a pinch

If you are in such dire straits that you need to burn something for light, then your situation also requires that you conserve all edible calories.  Those 9 uses do not require olive oil.  Does anyone have an olive grove for when they run out of olive oil after SHTF?    I doubt it.   Olive oil is expensive (mostly imported) food, and burning it for light is ridiculous.  It is calorie dense and it should be used as food.

If you are in such dire straits that you need to sit around chugging cups of olive oil for nourishment, then your situation also requires that you need more edible food .  All I'm saying, is that olive oil is a multi-use item, and makes effective candles (among other things) when the preferred product is not available.  And, I never said that olive oil was required for the uses I posted above, just a suitable substitute.  And no, I don't have an olive grove in my backyard, do you have an ammuntion factory, oil refinery, or cannery in yours for when you run out after SHTF?  I doubt it too.  Olive oil does cost more than candles, but that's not the point of this discussion is it.  I made my oil candles years ago, have used them multiple times during storm induced power outages, and have yet to add any new oil or wicks to them and they're still going strong.  So, in the long run, an olive oil candle may be very cost effective versus wax candles.  To each their own.  Peace.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It really wouldn't hurt you guys to learn some history. Many things that are thousands of years old seem to suprise you guys lol

Betty lamps come to mind?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_lamp

I remember making a ceramic lamp in art class when I was a kid- I just copied a Sumerian one I'd seen in a book somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Now I have a use for those relish jars, jam jars etc....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top