Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 3:55:21 PM EDT
I have 4 15 lbs bags of rice with a best by of Jan 2012, I know the date is fine but its just been setting stacked in my office floor for a year or so would you seal in in Mylar for long term storage?

I also have 4 more bags with a best by July 2010 these I don't think I will keep.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have 4 15 lbs bags of rice with a best by of Jan 2012, I know the date is fine but its just been setting stacked in my office floor for a year or so would you seal in in Mylar for long term storage?

I also have 4 more bags with a best by July 2010 these I don't think I will keep.

any bugs?

no?

then pack away

re check in 20 years..
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got some Minnesota Wild rice that I put into a gal glass container 15 years ago, it's still as good as the day I got it.

That's stored in a dark area of my cupboard.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
any bugs?

no?

then pack away

re check in 20 years..

this.  dry, cool, dark storage makes rice last a LONG time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, should be find as long as there are no bugs.. I am just finishing up rice that was first stored like yours then in mylar bags in buckets and its at least 10 years old and was all good.  Its all been replaced since then but it was all perfectly fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top