Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2008 4:11:19 PM EDT
I just got 60 pounds of Rice in #10 cans and when I was moving the rest of my #10 cans, ammo cans, and reloading supplies to make room I found MICE poop.  All my food is in #10 cans or canned food from the grocery store.  I have 3 7 gallon water containers down there should I move those out of the room?

What is the best way to get rid of Mice.  I cannot have a cat my Borzoi likes them too much as in a desert.  Also my herding dogs like to heard cats.  Any onther thing will work?  (I hate snakes {think Dr. Jones})  I found where they probally will be comming from so I will close that off.  I did not know about this small crack between everything when I bought the house it was covered.  Until I can get it fixed what is the best way?

ffh
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Mouse traps and cheese.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Mice traps and peanut butter?

That is one of the big problems of storing food for the long haul.  You have keep them in vermin-proof containers. I stored grass seed in my garage, and low and behold one day I found grass seed all over the garage floor, mice. I now store all of my pasta etc in 50lb sheet metal lard cans. Also, I've heard that mice can gnawl the packaging on MREs too, so a word to the wise.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
mouse trap with peanut butter.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife told me tomarrow we are going to remove all the cans from the boxes.  Should be better and it will lower the chance of roaches.

I have only lived in this house for 3 months so we are still putting stuff together and up.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate those damn vermins!
I've used PB and spring traps, glue traps, live catch traps, and I still don't think I ever got rid of more than half the bastards. I'd always hesitated to use poision because I have dogs that roam around the house.

So one day I saw these tom cat bait stations at TSC.

link
They lock so that dogs or kids can't get to the bait but have holes small enough for mice so I'm comfy with them in the house.
Just to be on the safe side though I did take a tapcon screw and bolt the stations to the slab so the dogs would not be as likely to pick one up and chew if they accidentally found it.

Since I've had them I see almost zero sign of rodents. You do have to check them now and again to add bait for me it was about 2 years with 6 traps in an 1800sf house before refill time.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#6]
When you truly live through a WHTF senario, you'll be eating mice.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Silenced 22 with night vision.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+rat shot + ir laser FTW
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
in the meantime stuff some steel wool in the suspected cracks, they won't come through the stuff for some reason.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Wash your hands ( to keep your scent down ).
Take a plain Jane Victor mouse trap, fine tune the trigger to ULTRA SENSITIVE with needle nose pliers.
Load it with peanut butter.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hate those damn vermins!
I've used PB and spring traps, glue traps, live catch traps, and I still don't think I ever got rid of more than half the bastards. I'd always hesitated to use poision because I have dogs that roam around the house.

So one day I saw these tom cat bait stations at TSC.
tomcatbrand.com/javascripts/tiny_mce/file_uploads/product_images/rodent_baits/BBSMouseN.jpg
link
They lock so that dogs or kids can't get to the bait but have holes small enough for mice so I'm comfy with them in the house.
Just to be on the safe side though I did take a tapcon screw and bolt the stations to the slab so the dogs would not be as likely to pick one up and chew if they accidentally found it.

Since I've had them I see almost zero sign of rodents. You do have to check them now and again to add bait for me it was about 2 years with 6 traps in an 1800sf house before refill time.

those tomcats work very well.  now we just use 5 cats.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's what I used when I had a mouse move into my garage.  Simple and effective.

R.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1, forget cheeze
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
plain old p butter dusted with flour the bread kind of flour.   they eat grain so flour is made from wheat  works great.  or you can go with the cat thing  when they get the mice caught you can eat the cats.  right now you have a rat, mouse problem get cats then you will have a cat problem.   good luck.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+rat shot + ir laser FTW

Only solid projectiles through a suppressor.

I am sure you know this, but someone else may not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+rat shot + ir laser FTW

I like your way of thinking.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I tryed the NVG and Silanced 22 pistol on the wife at first she was all go for it I like Night Vision then when we were searching online I said notheing lest that V2b.  Well I think we are going for the Tomcat stuff now.  

I wonder if I should pull the pin on one of my CS Grenades it might get them as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Decon rat bait is the only way to go, and it will not hurt dogs, but it will do in cats! My ex-girlfreinds small mutt got  ahold of a dead mouse and swallowed it before she could get to it. She freaked out and called poison information and thats what they told her. It didn't hurt her dog at all.

Mice are not dumb, and after they see there mothers, brothers, cousins ect.. getting there little necks snapped, they stay away from the traps.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Decon rat bait is the only way to go, and it will not hurt dogs, but it will do in cats! My ex-girlfreinds small mutt got  ahold of a dead mouse and swallowed it before she could get to it. She freaked out and called poison information and thats what they told her. It didn't hurt her dog at all.

Mice are not dumb, and after they see there mothers, brothers, cousins ect.. getting there little necks snapped, they stay away from the traps.  

+1 on Decon! I manage a rental house for my sister, way out in the desert... I left some Dcon out and it killed 'em all! They even broke into the UNOPENED dcon box and ate some from there!

A year or two ago, someone posted that SODA POP  will kill them! They cannot vomit, so when the soda pop fills them up, they burst internally.

But you gotta keep the soda pop topped off with fresh soda.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#20]
ratsnakes have their uses...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well I tryed the NVG and Silanced 22 pistol on the wife at first she was all go for it I like Night Vision then when we were searching online I said notheing lest that V2b.  Well I think we are going for the Tomcat stuff now.  

I wonder if I should pull the pin on one of my CS Grenades it might get them as well.

I'm pretty sure you're kidding on pulling a CS, it might get them but the microparticulate solids in the CS will make your life miserable for a looooonng time.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#22]
big nasty spring traps with PB surrounded with sticky traps.  I had a rat pull himself free from a sticky trap once.  Layer your defense.  Yes they will eat through MRE wrappers like butter.  A rat can eat through tupperware very easily.  In south FL we had canal rats they ate through metal porch screens, PVC, tupperware bins, PB jars, a collection of NG topo maps (they were making nice little beds), and my ability to sleep at night with kids open to attack by vermin.

I hate these vermin.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I did pest control a while
Most Bait Poisons are designed to be a hemophiliac type (makes em bleed out)
If you get one the is not a hemophiliac then ignore the rest
Use the bait containers and pets will be ok if they eat dead mice
The amount a mouse will ingest will not harm other animals if the mouse is eaten
UNLESS allergic
Remove the dead ones since I am not sure about eating multiple mice
The Bait MUST be inside something to keep the pets from eating it
If a dog/cat eats the bait they can ingest enough bait to kill them
I could not install the bait boxes if the dog was large since a large dog could chew through the box and eat enough to kill it (and I do mean BIG )
If the dog is large and does not chew on the box then you are ok but it’s your dog not mine so be careful. Boss used one of their dogs as a test bed and put a box into the yard (un-baited) to see if his dog who chews on everything could and it never did, but it did try
I like pets too so be careful

Edit: Just read the part about screwing them down and sounds good
Ours where mounted to concrete cinder blocks same idea
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
Wash your hands ( to keep your scent down ).
Take a plain Jane Victor mouse trap, fine tune the trigger to ULTRA SENSITIVE with needle nose pliers.
Load it with peanut butter.

How do you actually make them ULTRA SENSITIVE? I noticed in the past that the PB on my spring traps disappear, but the traps don't spring. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#25]
A better mouse trap.  My grandparents successfully used these on the farm for decades.

A better mouse trap

There is one in my shed now
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#26]
i have nothing to add
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
in the meantime stuff some steel wool in the suspected cracks, they won't come through the stuff for some reason.

+1 .......  I also use an expanding foam crack and gap sealer that goes by the name of "Great Stuff".

There are several different ways to kill mice and several good ones have already been mentioned. The important thing is to block all access points the mice are using or you will be killing mice for a long time.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Didn't see anyone else mention it but the glue traps work great IMHO. Just put it right below where you suspect they are coming and going from.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I have had good success with traps also, I was always afraid of using bait because I didn't want a mouse to crawl away and die, say in a wall, where I couldn't get rid of it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Mice poison bars and a cat got rid of my mice.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Mice poison bars and a cat got rid of my mice.

I wouldn't do that "poisoned mice.......cat eats mice before it dies......What's next..."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top