Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2011 5:49:28 AM EDT
Was at the grocer and they had a hurricane supply section. The cheapo oil lamps caught my attention and I grabbed one. (I remember having a good one when I was a kid that I considered a toy for me, too bad I didn't know anything then). So anyway I grabbed one. Now it seems I will be using it camping this year as my coleman w. gas lantern is uncooperative.

So my question is, how long does the oil last? If I turn the which down just to keep it lit?

And do these cheap, stamped pieces of crap break often?
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

And do these cheap, stamped pieces of crap break often?

not so much break, as leak
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
This one is a chinese and says use lamplight oil.

So can I expect it to eat up the paint and leak eventually?
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This one is a chinese and says use lamplight oil.

So can I expect it to eat up the paint and leak eventually?

Guess you could scrape the paint off the seam and run a bead of JB weld around it before you use it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
So the 15-20$ dietz lamps are worth buying? They look so cheap (built)

What do you guys use for oil lamps?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought 2 of these. It was some years ago and I don't recall if this was the actual ebay seller then. They are worth the money IMO and will stand up to severe use. Made in and shipped from Germany. The globe is tempered and shatterproof. Blowing rain/snow on a hot globe will not break it. The function of the mechanical parts are tight and positive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 3:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Was it the glass ones publix has on sale right now for half off?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was it the glass ones publix has on sale right now for half off?

It was from publix but looks like the stamped metal dietz lamp, not the glass lamp. Saw those today too for $10 but they aint' no good camping which is more what I wanted them for.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had surprising good luck with my only foray into cheap lanterns, whcih I got several (probable 5 or more) years ago at BigLots.  I think at the time I got these I was thinking about them to burn citornella on the porch.  Anyway, I got two, and one little one that is <8" tall (1/2 sized or less I think intending to have it in the center of the table.

At least two, maybe three or four years ago, I decided to repackage my lamp oil into different containers (new paint cans and 1 gallon blitz cans).after reading threads about the bottles it comes in failing.  However, I had just a little left once the new containers were filled.  Looking around, I spotted the little lantern and pour it in there to test it out.  2 or three years later, it is still hanging above the workbech.  No leaks, works fine, lights right up with a BBQ lighter whenever I think about testing it.  Not a lot of light, but it works great for what it is for a cost of maybe $2.

Any hints on motorcycle tank repair stuiff?  What do I look for if I want to treat the other ones before I fill them the first time?  Don't know what it would be called at the Parts House.

Maybe this summer is the year for a road trip to Lehmans.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#13]

You are just looking for fuel tank liner or fuel tank coating.  Napa is where a lot of places around here get theirs.

It is expensive and I bought a couple of the quart cans for a project I never got around to doing, I am now going to get the messed up liner out of some metal nato fuel cans and recoat the inside and then strip the outside and repaint them.

I don't know if it comes in smaller cans, you might just need a pint for messing with a few oil lamps.

I recomend doing some reading on motorcycle boards to read up on different ways to do it and see what works for other folks.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You are just looking for fuel tank liner or fuel tank coating.  Napa is where a lot of places around here get theirs.

It is expensive and I bought a couple of the quart cans for a project I never got around to doing, I am now going to get the messed up liner out of some metal nato fuel cans and recoat the inside and then strip the outside and repaint them.

I don't know if it comes in smaller cans, you might just need a pint for messing with a few oil lamps.

I recomend doing some reading on motorcycle boards to read up on different ways to do it and see what works for other folks.

Been pricing that on line.  I think for what that would cost, I will take my luck with my cheapo and make a road trip to Lehmans' for two or three real Dietz lamps.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Those types of lamps are OK if you never plan to transport them. Some are more well made that others. The biggest issue I ever had with one was the wick adjustment shaft having the little gear that contacts the wick coming loose from the shaft. Then you can't raise and lower the wick to adjust the light output.

If I was buying an oil lamp for my house, I'd get an Aladdin. If I'm gonna use it for camping or bugin out....make mine a Coleman multifuel with extra parts like pump leathers and needle valves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top