Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2012 6:36:42 PM EDT
Well, stupid is as stupid does. So called Captain didn't have a handle on where his boat was and wrapped up the buoy's mooring chain in the starboard prop. The Coast Guard Aux. towed him in and diver Charlie went down and got the buoy and chain unwrapped.
Boat name and faces blurred to protect the stupid.

Diver Charlie said one blade on the prop is bent and there is rubber coming out of the cutless bearing. For you landlubbers, the cutless bearing is in the bronze strut the propshaft rides in. It is made of rubber and has grooves in it to allow water to pass between it and the propshaft and acts as a lubricant. Chances are we will have to pull the propshaft and replace that bearing.
Be safe out there..

KB's tip of the day. Always know what, or who is around your boat before getting underway.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Too busy looking at the thing in the purple bottom....

What starboard prop?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
No need to pull the shaft to replace the cutlass bearing. I've done hundreds of them on boats from 20-200 feet.

Any decent yard will have a strutpro type tool for removing and installing without pulling the shaft.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No need to pull the shaft to replace the cutlass bearing. I've done hundreds of them on boats from 20-200 feet.
Any decent yard will have a strutpro type tool for removing and installing without pulling the shaft.  

Nice! I've never seen that tool before. Chances the boss will spring for one....nil. We don't do alot of cutless bearings where I work. Mainly sterndrives and outboards. I can see where a bigger yard that does alot of inboard work could pay for that tool in short order though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top