Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/9/2020 5:28:43 PM EDT
In response to Mod Brass's request, here's a thread to redirect Preparation questions from the GD Corona Virus threads  ---to the Survival Forum.

Please Note-- This thread is for Preparation related questions posted in the GD Corona Virus threads, that Mods there choose to redirect to the Survival Forum.

nCoV questions that have been redirected here from General Discussion, are welcome to be discussed in this thread, and if an extended discussion is needed, may be expanded by starting a new thread here in the S-F, or by contributing to an existing thread here.

The purpose is to simplify the moderation of the various GD nCoV threads, and to organize/streamline said threads according to subject and interests.

A reminder that this is a moderated technical forum.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Bonjour!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Can someone go ahead and list out the specific and correct filters needed such as N95, P100? I know I read plenty about it many pages ago in one of the threads but can not find it currently.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I need more bourbon if I'm gonna be quarantined
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/quality/coronaviruses-can-remain-on-surfaces-for-up-to-9-days-study-finds.html

This article says that the coronavirus can remain on surfaces for up to 9 days.

So, let's say I use my 3M 6800 full face respirator with P100 cartridges, with proper doffing, I could just leave the cartridges to lay out for 9 days and then could reuse them?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can someone go ahead and list out the specific and correct filters needed such as N95, P100? I know I read plenty about it many pages ago in one of the threads but can not find it currently.
View Quote
N95 is the basic disposable mask, 95% filtering
N99/100 same as above. None of the N series have a oil rating.

P-100 is for oil rating and 99.97% filtration.

3M disposable masks are in short supply. Half/full faced masks with P-100 filters are more durable. Moldex and Honeywell also make good disposable masks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
OST
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Say you have 8 PAPR set ups. Extra batteries and filers, hoods as well. Would you sell a couple and buy newer ones with lithium batteries? Like 3M Airmate to Versa flow 600 series?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Say you have 8 PAPR set ups. Extra batteries and filers, hoods as well. Would you sell a couple and buy newer ones with lithium batteries? Like 3M Airmate to Versa flow 600 series?
View Quote
I would simply find out the voltage for the air pump on the older ones [have a pump and battery at a different location] and power it with Li batteries.

A DeWalt, Harbor Freight, etc., Li battery might be a good choice, but have to know the voltage and AH rating of your present batteries.

Plenty of DC to DC converters on eBay that can be used if the voltages are too far different.

I plan on doing exactly this with the 3M powered hood.

Also, plan to make an expedient pump system [in the works].
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I need more bourbon if I'm gonna be quarantined
View Quote
Just have it delivered to your room via drone
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would simply find out the voltage for the air pump on the older ones [have a pump and battery at a different location] and power it with Li batteries.

A DeWalt, Harbor Freight, etc., Li battery might be a good choice, but have to know the voltage and AH rating of your present batteries.

Plenty of DC to DC converters on eBay that can be used if the voltages are too far different.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine are 3.6 volt/ 5Ah. Newer PAPR are 14-18V. I could not find the 5 unit charger, so I bought one from Amazon. It works, but I have 24 batteries. I found the 5 unit charger, so I am good.

Just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#14]
In for info.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:21:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Mine are 3.6 volt/ 5Ah. Newer PAPR are 14-18V. I could not find the 5 unit charger, so I bought one from Amazon. It works, but I have 24 batteries. I found the 5 unit charger, so I am good.

Just thinking out loud.
View Quote
Your batteries are likely one Li cell. Easy peasy to workaround!

The higher voltage units would work well with power tool Li batteries as previously mentioned. If $ is an object, H-F Li batteries have been taken apart and have good reviews, an are economical.

Went and got my 3M battery [Model 520-01-17, NiCad, 4.8 volts at 5.7 AH, color blue]

And the 3M air pump for mounting on the mask, is Model 024-00-02.

A Li battery can easily be adapted to run the pump. The old NiCad was never used and is likely dead.

I have some air pumps for filling mattress's and they are quite strong running on one Li cell.

I need to measure the respective pressure/flow of each.

Huge Li cells are on eBay with abt 10 AH each. Size is 38120. 3 would likely start my truck. Some smaller ones 32mm x 73mm are available too, IIRC 5AH.

All sorts of uses for expedient solutions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw an amazon review where a dude took the battery pack wire to a 3Mem PAPR and cut it and wired it up to a regular cell phone / laptop battery bank and it seemed to work fine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I saw an amazon review where a dude took the battery pack wire to a 3Mem PAPR and cut it and wired it up to a regular cell phone / laptop battery bank and it seemed to work fine.
View Quote
Good idea! No end to them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag.

I've hoarded masks, food, booties, gloves and goggles In case this ship steers into the storm.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
New report indicates up to a 24 day incubation period (): [tweet]https://twitter.com/happyintheair/status/1226781942416175106?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw[/tweet]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife works in marketing/procurement for a huge company- purchase orders for in excess of $1 mil USD, so high priority for the Chinese client.  She received several emails today from various manufacturers in China regarding delays of products.  They're all but shut down, 1 out of their 12 plants (located all throughout China) is operating and they're at 10% of capacity due to workers being sick/quarantined.  Earliest they will be back up and running is 3/18 but a lot of that is dependent upon how many workers are still alive/healthy.  This will have drastic effects on her company and hundreds of thousands of other companies worldwide, many may not survive.

Long/Short of this is that we still haven't seen the full effects of this shutdown/virus from an economic standpoint, we probably won't for quite some time.

Just figured I'd pass this along.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#21]
What would be the most effective yet least destructive method to disinfect nitrile gloves?:
Ozone, hand sanitizer or 70% Iso spray?

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#22]
So I 'autoclaved' a 3M 8210 N95 mask in my instant pot for 15 minutes. 1/2 cup water in the bottom, mask sitting on a stainless steel thing out of the water. On high pressure which by the specs should be about 240F and 11 psi.

It was a used mask that I did a project with a few days ago. It has been hanging outside since I am a slob and never threw it away.

The mask came out of the instant pot surprisingly dry. It was not water soaked at all. very slightly damp in some places but mostly completely dry.

The yellow rubber bands which are glued to the mask ( not stapled) actually got restored / contracted and are like a brand new mask never worn.

It maintained the shape just fine,  the elastic acts like elastic should . I put it on and it seals around my face just like others have  and can breath through it without any noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So I 'autoclaved' a 3M 8210 N95 mask in my instant pot for 15 minutes. 1/2 cup water in the bottom, mask sitting on a stainless steel thing out of the water. On high pressure which by the specs should be about 240F and 11 psi.

It was a used mask that I did a project with a few days ago. It has been hanging outside since I am a slob and never threw it away.

The mask came out of the instant pot surprisingly dry. It was not water soaked at all. very slightly damp in some places but mostly completely dry.

The yellow rubber bands which are glued to the mask ( not stapled) actually got restored / contracted and are like a brand new mask never worn.

It maintained the shape just fine,  the elastic acts like elastic should . I put it on and it seals around my face just like others have  and can breath through it without any noticeable difference.
View Quote
Thank you for testing, and the report!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great info.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The study reported on 15 PSI and 250F degrees which is the standard protocol for autoclave

Dont know if 240F and 11 PSI would cut it, but it doesn'r ruin the mask.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The study reported on 15 PSI and 250F degrees which is the standard protocol for autoclave

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressure cookers usually have a 15psi setting for canning. And have the benefit of being easier to use outdoors away from dwellings by using campfire or coleman stove.

And thanks Mach, damned good info to have!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awesome news, thanks for the report.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#28]
whats a good alcohol to prep that can be used to sterilize among other things.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Will vented masks survive the autoclave?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Bringing this over from the GD thread:

Quoted:
This is an excellent time to go through the fridge and pitch all the expired & questionable stuff.

Restock with long-life stuff (frozen food doesn't have to be delicious, just edible) and fresh date everything else. Soup and cheap generic crackers (better than Nabisco Premiums, which went to hell, ask Chef) can provide for months. Gets boring but beats the alternative. Go shopping when everyone else isn't out, i.e. early morning is good. Read all the food ads you usually pitch and see who has what on sale. Regular soup should be a buck a can on sale, Chunky, Progresso et al 3/$5. Adds up when you're buying a bunch. Pasta and sauces (DIY or *gag* Ragu) break up the routine. Freeze meats on sale.

Ideally you should get to the point where you only need to go food shopping (milk, perishables) maybe once a week. The smaller grocery stores have fewer customers (fewer chances for disease!) so favor them over the mega-grocery stores.

Any grocery stores that have big ethnic sections (i.e.Chinese food with labels in Chinese) might better be passed on until this thing is done.

Go to your old boomer grocery stores, not the hipster whole foods trendy stores where millennials slink around with Starbucks caps, shedding Chipotle virus.

tl;dr

Avoid anyone under 50.

Maybe 60.
View Quote
And there are work arounds for some perishables. Wife and I have made test runs with powdered milk for alfredo sauce, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and mac & cheese. Success so far. Fruits and veggies can be dehydrated and/or frozen. We topped off our spice cabinet and picked up some bulk dehydrated carrot, onion, celery, and garlic for making soups, etc. As much as I hate Penzey's, they do have some really good soup base concentrates that will make about 40 cups of beef or chicken stock per small jar. We fired up the dehydrator last night on some apple slices and will be adding more dried fruit to the pantry. Costco has big bags of dried fruit (figs, cranberries, blueberries, etc.) that go great in overnight oats, cookies, muffins, etc. Big bag(s) of flour and you can make bread, crackers, pancakes, waffles, pizza provided you thought to stock up on oil, butter, salt, sugar, yeast, baking powder, etc. We cracked open one of our long term storage cans of lentils and are having lentil stew w/ veggies and smoked sausage for dinner tonight.

Now is the time to start trying out ingredients/recipes so you can adjust ingredients, techniques, amounts, etc. and decide if it's edible or not.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Lotta anecdotal info claiming the corona virus is engineered or "weaponized" to affect people of eastern Asian decent.  Some really wild theories out there, some "Chinese virus escaped a lab in Wuhan", others claim "the US did it"  There hasn't been much if any info released about race or ethnicity of victims to date.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#32]
In the vein of "better to have and not need..."

Amazon Product
  • POWERFUL 10,000 MG OZONE GENERATOR: Alpine Air new improved Ozone generator provide 10,000 mg/h of Ozone. The ozone air purifier creates O3 in a special process that utilizes an electrical current and oxygen. Ozone sanitizes by breaking down odors, micro-organisms and other pollutants at their source.
  • NO FILTER NEEDED: Our new air purifier and ionizer provide 6000 guaranteed hours of work. You can easily use our new air deodorizer on the daily basis without changing the filter. After the approximately 6000 hours of work, you can check the condition of the by removing the ozone plate and replace the ceramic plate.
  • BEST ODOR ELIMINATOR AND AIR IONIZER: Alpine Air professional air deodorizer is professional, heavy duty device which can be used anywhere it may need. Compact design allows making this air humidifier and ionizer perfect for using it at home in the bedroom, kitchen, garage or anywhere you want. The high quality and powerful ionization lamp make it perfect choice for using our ozone generator for big areas like office spaces or commercial spaces.

Amazon Product
  • Kills Odors, Mold, Bacteria, Viruses and Allergens
  • 2-16", 36 Watt UVC, 254NM Bulbs, 120 Volt, 6 Foot Power Cord
  • LED Indicator Lights Verify Proper Operation

Amazon Product
  • ? NEWER IMPROVED MODEL: Running noise is less than or equal to 45 decibels; Intelligent time accumulation function: 0-180 minutes timer range, easy to record use time; Touch screen control and HD LCD big screen (for elderly to read), enhance working life and satisfied absorption data viewing.
  • ? ADJUSTABLE CONCEN-TRATION: supply continous flow 2-9L/min adjustable, provides a stable 30%-90% (2L-9L) flow
  • ? TWO PEOPLE USE SIMULTANEOUSLY: suitable for travel and home use. tube purchase link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NY4QH5D

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Will vented masks survive the autoclave?
View Quote
Don't know I don't have any
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just thinking out loud.
View Quote
Get some connectors (i use xt60) cut the old battery connects out, solder in a new connector and buy some RC lithium batteries to fit.

I have modded everything that uses c or d cells around my house to use them. Most of the time the lipo pack fits in the old battery space.

As long as you get close on the voltage DC motors will run just fine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Can anyone post the Oral Rehydration Solution Recipe with the Potassium in it?  I had it somewhere (probly still do) but can't find it and Google is being difficult.

I'd like to have it handy and I'm sure others could use it too.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By @Vulture774:
Can anyone post the Oral Rehydration Solution Recipe with the Potassium in it?  I had it somewhere (probly still do) but can't find it and Google is being difficult.

Thanks guys!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @Vulture774:

Thanks guys!
In the first link

Quoted:
Want to share this regarding Oral Rehydration Salts; far superior to gatorade / sports drinks for treating dehydration. Probably the closest most of us laymen/women will get to IV fluids for supportive care of our loved ones when ill. Certainly not just for the WuFlu. We keep the base ingredients to make our own on hand at all times, which is close to the WHO's low-osmolarity ORS formula. But you can buy the exact formula prepacked as well. The first link will explain everything I just said (in excessive detail), including home-made recipes:

Oral Rehydration Therapy - Oley Meeting

And this link is a product on Amazon that's the new formulation specified by WHO (note I have no experience with this specific product):

WHO ORS formula on Amazon
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I’ve asked this in another thread and it hasn’t received an answer. If this is the wrong thread to ask this question mods move or delete the post.

Question, what is the best way to disinfect a military gas mask so that the mask rubber doesn’t get compromised? Would it be as simple as spraying it down with Lysol or immersion (for a specified time) in a water/bleach mix?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’ve asked this in another thread and it hasn’t received an answer. If this is the wrong thread to ask this question mods move or delete the post.

Question, what is the best way to disinfect a military gas mask so that the mask rubber doesn’t get compromised? Would it be as simple as spraying it down with Lysol or immersion (for a specified time) in a water/bleach mix?
View Quote
warm water and soap will work fine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#39]
So the discussion has spread across many different threads about cleaning items. I keep seeing Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% either straight or diluted with a little water to clean gloves, clothes etc.

Is this still a viable solution or has the cleaning methods changed?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

warm water and soap will work fine.
View Quote
Regular soap will kill this virus should it be on the mask?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So the discussion has spread across many different threads about cleaning items. I keep seeing Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% either straight or diluted with a little water to clean gloves, clothes etc.

Is this still a viable solution or has the cleaning methods changed?
View Quote
If I remember from the other thread, I think alcohol is most effective when between 60-80%.

Bleach will work too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I would not bet a lot of money on ozone being as effective as time and proper humidity, especially if you can supplement that with sunlight or the correct sort of UV.

-

Mask adapter info, since I saw that someone asked about this in GD:

3M adapter 701 - adapts 40mm to 3M bayonet fittings

3M adapter 603 - allows you to use the pre-filter retainer 501 to use N-95 (5N11) and P-95 (5P71) pre-filters as standalone filters - either in 3M bayonet filter respirators, or in  40mm masks using the 701 adapter.

And realistically, you can likely use any suitably fine filter media that you can cut into the proper shape and thickness to fit the filter retainer to do a half-decent job of filtering droplets, if it really comes down to it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#43]
This may be why so many Chinese medical folks are falling ill: N95's don't prevent infections when looking at respiratory infections (Influenza), seems to follow that nCoV would be similar results. Save your money and get surgical masks I guess.

Among 2862 randomized participants (mean [SD] age, 43 [11.5] years; 2369 [82.8%]) women), 2371 completed the study and accounted for 5180 HCP-seasons. There were 207 laboratory-confirmed influenza infection events (8.2% of HCP-seasons) in the N95 respirator group and 193 (7.2% of HCP-seasons) in the medical mask group (difference, 1.0%, [95% CI, -0.5% to 2.5%]; P?=?.18) (adjusted odds ratio [OR], 1.18 [95% CI, 0.95-1.45]). There were 1556 acute respiratory illness events in the respirator group vs 1711 in the mask group (difference, -21.9 per 1000 HCP-seasons [95% CI, -48.2 to 4.4]; P?=?.10); 679 laboratory-detected respiratory infections in the respirator group vs 745 in the mask group (difference, -8.9 per 1000 HCP-seasons, [95% CI, -33.3 to 15.4]; P?=?.47); 371 laboratory-confirmed respiratory illness events in the respirator group vs 417 in the mask group (difference, -8.6 per 1000 HCP-seasons [95% CI, -28.2 to 10.9]; P?=?.39); and 128 influenzalike illness events in the respirator group vs 166 in the mask group (difference, -11.3 per 1000 HCP-seasons [95% CI, -23.8 to 1.3]; P?=?.08). In the respirator group, 89.4% of participants reported "always" or "sometimes" wearing their assigned devices vs 90.2% in the mask group

N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Influenza Among Health Care Personnel: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
Raw study results
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is some info on cleaning/disinfecting a respirator. I found this on OSHA's website:

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.134AppB2

Appendix B-2 to  1910.134: Respirator Cleaning Procedures (Mandatory)

These procedures are provided for employer use when cleaning respirators. They are general in nature, and the employer as an alternative may use the cleaning recommendations provided by the manufacturer of the respirators used by their employees, provided such procedures are as effective as those listed here in Appendix B- 2. Equivalent effectiveness simply means that the procedures used must accomplish the objectives set forth in Appendix B-2, i.e., must ensure that the respirator is properly cleaned and disinfected in a manner that prevents damage to the respirator and does not cause harm to the user.

I. Procedures for Cleaning Respirators

A. Remove filters, cartridges, or canisters. Disassemble facepieces by removing speaking diaphragms, demand and pressure- demand valve assemblies, hoses, or any components recommended by the manufacturer. Discard or repair any defective parts.

B. Wash components in warm (43 deg. C [110 deg. F] maximum) water with a mild detergent or with a cleaner recommended by the manufacturer. A stiff bristle (not wire) brush may be used to facilitate the removal of dirt.

C. Rinse components thoroughly in clean, warm (43 deg. C [110 deg. F] maximum), preferably running water. Drain.

D. When the cleaner used does not contain a disinfecting agent, respirator components should be immersed for two minutes in one of the following:

1. Hypochlorite solution (50 ppm of chlorine) made by adding approximately one milliliter of laundry bleach to one liter of water at 43 deg. C (110 deg. F); or,

2. Aqueous solution of iodine (50 ppm iodine) made by adding approximately 0.8 milliliters of tincture of iodine (6-8 grams ammonium and/or potassium iodide/100 cc of 45% alcohol) to one liter of water at 43 deg. C (110 deg. F); or,

3. Other commercially available cleansers of equivalent disinfectant quality when used as directed, if their use is recommended or approved by the respirator manufacturer.

E. Rinse components thoroughly in clean, warm (43 deg. C [110 deg. F] maximum), preferably running water. Drain. The importance of thorough rinsing cannot be overemphasized. Detergents or disinfectants that dry on facepieces may result in dermatitis. In addition, some disinfectants may cause deterioration of rubber or corrosion of metal parts if not completely removed.

F. Components should be hand-dried with a clean lint-free cloth or air-dried.

G. Reassemble facepiece, replacing filters, cartridges, and canisters where necessary.

H. Test the respirator to ensure that all components work properly.

[63 FR 1152, Jan. 8, 1998]
View Quote
I found this on 3M's website:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/473937O/3mtm-cleaning-reusable-respirators.pdf

Cleaning is recommended after each use. 3MTM Respirator Cleaning Wipes 504 may be used as an interim method in the cleaning schedule for individu- ally assigned respirators, but this should not be the only method in place. During fit testing, these wipes may also be used to clean masks between em- ployees being tested. However, respi- rators must be thoroughly cleaned at the end of each day, using these procedures:

1. Remove cartridges and filters.

2. Clean facepiece (excluding filters) by immersing in warm cleaning solution, the water temperature should not exceed 50o C, and scrub with soft brush until clean. Add neutral detergent if necessary. Do not use cleaners containing lanolin or other oils.

3. Disinfect the facepiece by soaking in a solution of quaternary ammonia disinfectant or dilute sodium hy- pochlorite (30 mL household bleach in 7.5 L of water), or another suit- able disinfectant.

4. Rinse in fresh, warm water and air dry in a clean non-contaminated area.

5. Inspect the respirator components prior to reassembly. A respirator with any damaged or deteriorated components must be repaired or discarded.

6. Store the clean respirator away from contaminated areas when not in use.

NOTE: The above information is also outlined in the users instructions. Additionally, see specific product user in- structions packaged with each respirator facepiece for additional information.
View Quote
Another great piece of documentation I found seems to be a field manual for the M40A1 gas mask. It has a lot of good info so I'll link it but not quote it:

https://www.fortbraggsurplus.us/v/vspfiles/assets/images/m40a1_gas_mask_manual.pdf
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I see a lot of PPE discussion, but not as much discussion on potential disruptions of supply for consumer goods.  *If* the situation with manufacturing is as dire as some suggest, there could be some serious impacts as suppliers begin to run out of stock.

Electronics, batteries, plastic products, various soaps/cleaners, etc.

Are you all stocking up on consumer goods?  I mean, worst case, it gets used eventually anyway.

This situation finally spurred me to invest in a small solar set-up/battery bank for powering devices and recharging batteries.  I also picked up more 18650s and more rechargable AA/AAAs for powering lights, etc.  Been on my list for a while, but I figured this was a good time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#46]
So here is my plan (apologies I am drinking. If I misspell words and stuff)
The wife works from home.  I do not. We cut back last year on expenses and such. We could become a 1 house income.

The plan is: I stay home while she works. We stockpile foodstuff and hygiene stuffs. (Already did hygiene stuffs, food stuffs is ongoing) in preps for a period of 2 months self quarantine.

If we need something (and we are gonna need SOMETHING) I would be the one going to get it.
Plan is to do a hibiclense shower before and after
N95 l, goggles, and gloves. Maybe even tyvek suit if it’s that bad.
I will use pallets to make a “decon area”
Rubbermaid of bleachand water 1:10. New toilet scrubbed to wash tyvek suit.
Handheld sprayer for the wife to spray me down.
I then take another hibiclense chowed.

We bleach wipe all the purchases.
What am I missing?

We stockpiled bleach, wipes, paper products, bleach, food, water, etc.  
currently have 8 sets of p100 filters (3half face masks) 30 n95 masks. 3 sets goggles. Fuck load of gloves.

I am gonna add seeds to the shopping list and start the garden later.

Plan is to bunker down and let it blow over.
I work in a hospital. If I stayed and worked I would surely bring it home.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Ordered food 2 weeks ago.

Still hasn't shipped.

Debating about buying locally.

Is sams club out?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
3M and the Mask_Sterilization_Demonizers are gonna hate you!

Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
whats a good alcohol to prep that can be used to sterilize among other things.
View Quote
HEAT, for cars, dilute according to the latest recommendations..

There are 2 kinds of HEAT, methyl and isopropanol alcohols, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lotta anecdotal info claiming the corona virus is engineered or "weaponized" to affect people of eastern Asian decent.  Some really wild theories out there, some "Chinese virus escaped a lab in Wuhan", others claim "the US did it"  There hasn't been much if any info released about race or ethnicity of victims to date.
View Quote
Mostly Asians as far as I can see.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top