Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 5:32:05 PM EDT
I'd like to share with you a little trick I use to be able to rapidly get everything you need to BO quickly.

Ever think about the fact that nobody really knows your BO list like you do?  Where is the stuff?  In what order should it be packed, etc...

Well, I created a small deck of cards.  Each card has a priority order, a description of the item, where it is located and related information like whether it is heavy or fragile, etc....  Each card looks exactly the same with regard to format, so you don't have to read a lot to get the information.

In an emergency, I can distribute the cards to whomever is home and they can grab and load the BOV in about 8 minutes....and folks, I'm not talking about travelling light.  I keep the cards inside a pocket of a 3-ring binder I use as a BO/Planning tool.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, that is fucking genius.

Do you keep them centralized to portions of your house? What I mean is, I wouldn't want to give my wife a bunch of cards and have her running up and down stairs, back and forth. Seems like efficiency could be added.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have them in order of packing and by criticality - I want the most critical first and the heaviest first.  Load that in the BOV first, lighter stuff to go in on top.  I deal out only one at a time so if someone else becomes available, they get the next card.

Also, that prevents folks from being too tired to lug ammo after chasing light stuff around.

But, hey, I like your idea of location....I'll have to look into that.  Most of my stuff is in the same general area, except for med supplies, food and water.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a cool idea!

...won't work for me 'though
I just live with the dog.
It's embarrasing to admit, but he reads below his grade level...
Maybe I could get him a tutor!  

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/15/159671/48_2007/30972Vet_tutored.jpg
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I started storing stuff in plastic rubbermaid containers small enough that one person can carry multiples.  Each container is labeled as to contents and once storage space/shelves/money allows will be stacked by priority.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I started storing stuff in plastic rubbermaid containers small enough that one person can carry multiples.  Each container is labeled as to contents and once storage space/shelves/money allows will be stacked by priority.

This is the approach I take. I use Action Packers and have them labeled 1,2,3..etc.

#1 and #2 are the most hodgepodge and get more specific as they go on.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool idea.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#7]
+1on the cool idea... If we had to leave in a hurry it would be disorganized confusion since everything is spread out.....

I'm working on organizing our food storage this week... Sounds like I'll have a project for next week now!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#8]
You have a good plan there...

I may steal it and use it for other things as well... I run some camps in the summer that require trailer loads of materials to run... I like your idea for getting things mobilized.

Thanks!

PITSNIPE OUT
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#9]

That sounds similiar to emergency destruction plans of classified material/info:

The cards had destruction priorities and assigned tasks.  The cards were handed out as assignments and brought back when complete.  The person supervising would know exactly what had been done, what was in progress and what needed yet to be completed.

Good plan.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the approach I take. I use Action Packers and have them labeled 1,2,3..etc.

#1 and #2 are the most hodgepodge and get more specific as they go on.

Yup....  I do this also.  Depending on time allowed the boxes are numbered in priority.  #s 1 & 2 are a mix of basics....  3 & 4 are extra stuff and 5 is fluff.  They do double duty as camping boxes and box 6 is hunting stuff.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's how I've done it, in the garage they are all stacked on a shelf( with the needed camping gear). At the bottom of the stairs in our basement we built a pantry and all our Rubbermaid's are there with the food and our BOBs. All that's left is to grab the weapons and ammo cans. We could probably load the truck and clear out in 15 min. if we had too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd like to share with you a little trick I use to be able to rapidly get everything you need to BO quickly.

Ever think about the fact that nobody really knows your BO list like you do?  Where is the stuff?  In what order should it be packed, etc...

Well, I created a small deck of cards.  Each card has a priority order, a description of the item, where it is located and related information like whether it is heavy or fragile, etc....  Each card looks exactly the same with regard to format, so you don't have to read a lot to get the information.

In an emergency, I can distribute the cards to whomever is home and they can grab and load the BOV in about 8 minutes....and folks, I'm not talking about travelling light.  I keep the cards inside a pocket of a 3-ring binder I use as a BO/Planning tool.

That sounds like Emergency COMSEC Destruction. Damn, why didn't I think of it.  I must be slippin.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Brilliant.  

One huge area of Preparedness I don;t see talked about enough is SHTF Management and Leadership.  Your idea is an excellent tool.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like Emergency COMSEC Destruction. Damn, why didn't I think of it.  I must be slippin.

Review it periodically, because you will add new stuff, practice it.  Hell it's designed so that you could hand a card to a stranger, it would tell them
what they need to know.   This is the shit.  Dang.  Well I am in the same boat as the other guy, I just have a dog.  She knows the command "bring it"
But that is something she can fit in her mouth.  Not a bin.  Fantastic idea though.   Nothing gets overlooked, left behind, unless it was left off a card.

I won't steal you thunder, because you posted on this...but share info for those who are not understanding.

People may still not realize.   One card might be as simple as, pick up radio on counter place in vehicle.  Open safe and remove all weapons place in case and in vehicle.   Another card would have someone pack the ammo etc etc...ONe might say, under kitchen sink, grab the 10 candles.  

How many cards do you use, do you have  a spread sheet so you can update at ease and reprint. This will be the meat of it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#17]
SUBSCRIBE!  I'm stealing this idea!!!!

PTK
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I may steal it ...

Thanks!

PITSNIPE OUT

... Like your avatar

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been thinking about getting one of thos JOBOX's to store most of my go to gear in.  Rubbermaid containes could easily be stacked the thera as well as primary firearms, BOB, Vests ect.  They have good locking point and very sturdy in my experience.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:31:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've been thinking about getting one of thos JOBOX's to store most of my go to gear in ...

... Just recently did that for ammo storage

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:51:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Though I've already been beaten to it, that idea is very similiar to emergency COMSEC destruction.  I like it
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#22]
thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#23]
damn fine idea.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That sounds similiar to emergency destruction plans of classified material/info:

The cards had destruction priorities and assigned tasks.  The cards were handed out as assignments and brought back when complete.  The person supervising would know exactly what had been done, what was in progress and what needed yet to be completed.

Good plan.

first thing i thought of when reading
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Review it periodically, because you will add new stuff, practice it.  Hell it's designed so that you could hand a card to a stranger, it would tell them
what they need to know.   This is the shit.  Dang.  Well I am in the same boat as the other guy, I just have a dog.  She knows the command "bring it"
But that is something she can fit in her mouth.  Not a bin.  Fantastic idea though.   Nothing gets overlooked, left behind, unless it was left off a card.

I won't steal you thunder, because you posted on this...but share info for those who are not understanding.

People may still not realize.   One card might be as simple as, pick up radio on counter place in vehicle.  Open safe and remove all weapons place in case and in vehicle.   Another card would have someone pack the ammo etc etc...ONe might say, under kitchen sink, grab the 10 candles.  

How many cards do you use, do you have  a spread sheet so you can update at ease and reprint. This will be the meat of it.

Yes, this is the approach.  And a focus on only putting on the information necessary to execute the task.

YES, IT IS THIS....Only the information necessary to manage the task -no more.

Link Posted: 8/15/2009 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Very cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting one of thos JOBOX's to store most of my go to gear in ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/Winston_Wolf1/JOBOX.jpg

How are you planning on getting that out of the house and onto the truck. It looks like it would be to heavy to lift by hand.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How are you planning on getting that out of the house and onto the truck. It looks like it would be to heavy to lift by hand.

same way you move a gunsafe...you dont.

Put your grab and go ammo at the top.  For bug-out with all ammo (unlikely) your unloading by indavidual cases.  Any container big enough to carry many thousands of rounds of ammo is gonna be to heavy to move by hand anyhow (except 22LR)
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]
BTT for an awesome idea.

I decided to use a spreadsheet printed on regular paper inside a page liner. 1 for me and one for the wife, with individual items. List broken down by room and priority. Some items are on both lists so they don't accidentally get overlooked. I.e Daughters room, bathroom, etc.

1 copy of each sheet goes with the bug out bins in the garage, which have their own inventory sheets inside the lid of each, and are numbered.

Another set will go inside near the gun stuff.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Put your grab and go ammo at the top.  For bug-out with all ammo (unlikely) your unloading by indavidual cases.  Any container big enough to carry many thousands of rounds of ammo is gonna be to heavy to move by hand anyhow (except 22LR)

Since it's not your pic I'm thinking you can't answer what his plans are. I load loaded job boxxes onto a pick ups all the time. It's pretty easy to do the way my house is set up. I just put casters on the box. My front porch sits a little higher than by truck bed so I just use and aluminum ramp from the porch to the bed. I'm just currious how he's doing it. As far as bugging out. If I'm taking my truck I'm taking all my ammo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put your grab and go ammo at the top. For bug-out with all ammo (unlikely) your unloading by indavidual cases. Any container big enough to carry many thousands of rounds of ammo is gonna be to heavy to move by hand anyhow (except 22LR)

Since it's not your pic I'm thinking you can't answer what his plans are. I load loaded job boxxes onto a pick ups all the time. It's pretty easy to do the way my house is set up. I just put casters on the box. My front porch sits a little higher than by truck bed so I just use and aluminum ramp from the porch to the bed. I'm just currious how he's doing it. As far as bugging out. If I'm taking my truck I'm taking all my ammo.

... Got it mostly because I got tired of stacking ammo around the house in various places. It also might slow an "unwanted guest" from just hiking out with 15,000 rounds of ammo unabated.

If I had to bug out, I would take what I needed just fine

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Those job-boxes are the way to go for secure storage of just about anything really. You can bolt them down, and with good locks, they aint gett'in in, and it will take alot of time and work to get one thats bolted down broke free.
With some work they can even be beefed up to make even harder to get into if your parinoid.  Ask me how I know...
They even make a pretty good gun safe if money is tight. They are more secure than most of the cheapy stack-on type non fire rated safes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top