Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2011 10:08:21 AM EDT
Just a quick quick question.  I had a bag of O2 Absorbers that were @ 1 year old in the original packaging.  Never taken out of the original packaging and as far as I know the packaging wasn't compromised. So, I used some of them this weekend using 1 gallon Mylar bags.  Only about 1/3 of them sucked out the oxygen.  I put two absorbers in each bag.  Did I just do a bad job sealing or do they go bad after a while?  Just curious if anyone else has had problems.

Thanks-
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
What size were the o2 absorbers?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I had some fresh ones do the same thing my first time using them.
My problem was not getting enough air out of the bags before sealing them.
I ended up re-doing those bags and they all sucked down on the 2nd try.

In my case it was user error, not bad absorbers.

I would be surprised if only "some" of the absorbers in a bag went "bad".

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What size were the o2 absorbers?

and what did seal in the bags (what kind of food). Some stuff requires a suprisingly large number of absorbers because they have alot of air in them. Found that out when packaging bags of elbow pasta.

Also spigettete noddles will poke small holes in mylar bags, found that one out the hard way too lol

lastly and probably what it is cause is that I have found that it usually takes about 4 days for the O2 absorbers to really suck the bag down tight, Also helps if they are in a warm room they will suck down quicker.

J-
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I stored a little of everything,  Rice, pasta, powdered milk.  The O2 Absorbers are about 2inches square.  I put two in each bag.  Not enough?  The pasta (spaghetti noodles) was the worst.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I stored a little of everything,  Rice, pasta, powdered milk.  The O2 Absorbers are about 2inches square.  I put two in each bag.  Not enough?  The pasta (spaghetti noodles) was the worst.

yep not enough.

I use 1000cc absorbers and I think that last time I did spagehtti in 2 gallon bags I had to use I like 6 absorbers each bag.

Its always better to use more than not enough.

Most absorbers will have printed on them what cc rating they are.

J-
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, Thanks.  I'll cut open a corner and jam another 5-6 in and see how it goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top