Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 2:02:47 PM EDT
I know food grade buckets are the most desired for storing food, but can non-food grade buckets work if mylar bags separate the food from the bucket? Will the mylar prevent chemicals barrel from seeping into the food?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:57:51 PM EDT
If storing in Mylar bags, and bucket will work. All you are doing is protecting the bag from rips, tears and rodents. It also makes they easier to store
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:16:08 PM EDT
Curious also. Interested in these from Lexington Container Co. Was told that they originally contained pharmaceuticals. Advertised as airtight. 5 gal., $7 each.

Making a run there tomorrow to get some 60 gal pickle barrels to use as rain barrels, among other things.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:25:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NEPatriots:
I know food grade buckets are the most desired for storing food, but can non-food grade buckets work if mylar bags separate the food from the bucket? Will the mylar prevent chemicals barrel from seeping into the food?

I store all my food in mylar and Home Depot Homer buckets. U are fine with non-food grade if you use mylar.

J-

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:17:10 PM EDT
I use homer buckets as well
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:58:11 PM EDT
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what "food grade" means. HDPE is HDPE isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2011 11:42:37 PM EDT by RULE762]
Generally it refers to the process in which the barrel is made.. the machinery used, even the release agents from the mold. Food grade is made on clean machines, with non toxic agents. non food grade may not be. iirc

ETA: Also consider what the intended use is. for example, two seemingly similar jerry cans could be coated with different materials on the inside. One for water, and one with a coating on the inside to protect from fuel. The coating would not be food grade, which the water one would be.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:42:52 AM EDT
If you are worried about the price difference, may I suggest you check out some local resturants forused buckets. A few months ago I made great score on some free buckets at a local doughnut shop.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:24:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NEPatriots:

Is 5 bucks worth it per bucket????

Buy new or get the correct ones for free
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:37:58 AM EDT
If your supermarket has a bakery section they have lot of food grade buckets for free. Not 5 gallons more like 3 or 4 and usually dirty from all the icing that it was packed with. Free is free.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:45:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bones45:
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what "food grade" means. HDPE is HDPE isn't it?

HDPE by FDA standards is suitable for food products. Make sure you read that.
It doesnt mean the bucket per say IS food grade ( due to what is stored in it).
Food grade is a broad brush IMHO. The HDPE section on the FDA website is really...really long.
Basics is "new" unused bucket with mylar= safe
used bucket that held food or similar products = safe
bucket that held caustics /chemicals= unsafe.
The amount of new and used ones suitable for storage shouldnt be an issue since they can be found everywhere. There is no need to over think it, use clean new or clean previously held food buckets and your good to go.....
Then again. Ive stored and many have food in mylars in totes......show me where an action packer is food grade

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:28:03 AM EDT
Not endorsing them other than my fattening-ass just ate there, but firehouse subs have 5 gallon pickle buckets for a $2 donation to the firefighters whatever cause. Didn't read all of it, but if you can get the buckets you want for cheaper than you have been getting them, know they are food safe, and make a donation for a good cause like our firefighters.....win-win-win to me. I'll be getting a few before I leave Oxford next week.

Linky

Oh, #700––––
Top Top