Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2008 7:49:43 AM EDT
Does anyone know where I can find a nice reliable long lasting flint WITH striker included?  I've got my eye on this one, but was wondering if anyone has had any problems with one like this.  Also, is there a big difference between using your normal knife blade than using the stainless steel it comes with to strike the magnesium?  I know that a serated edge is needed (suggested) but other than that...?  Thanks.

KT_Cobra
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 7:58:52 AM EDT
I gave a Swedish Firesteel Scout to a buddy of mine. He seems to like it and it works well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 8:04:59 AM EDT
Get one from the store here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 10:23:12 AM EDT
I've got a "Light my fire" steel and it's great. I've quit using matches or lighters. A tip from survivorman- use dryer lint to catch the sparks. 90% of the time, one strike is enough. It works wet, and I've used my knife or the striker on it. I bought two actually and have been looking to get a couple more to put in each vehicle, back pack, etc.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 11:00:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 4:31:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/7/2008 3:49:34 PM EDT by tweeter]
flint + piece of hacksaw blade = the fire

ETA: You can do the same thing with a Army/Airforce magnesium bar and flint set.  The hacksaw blade is plenty rough to start up sparks and can be used to notch up the flint surface to increase spark size.  The hacksaw blade also pulls magnesium flakes and powder off the bar very quickly.
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 12:03:17 PM EDT
get a blast match or strike force.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 5:41:12 AM EDT
swedish fire steel for me
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 10:23:12 PM EDT
use a bic, they are cheap
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 10:47:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By granther:
use a bic, they are cheap

until they are below freezing, then the gas wont flow when its below its boiling point
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:40:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 69camaro:
swedish fire steel for me

I use the firesteel too.  I really like it.  Small, light and works every time.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 12:45:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By joedapro:
get a blast match or strike force.

+100
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 9:11:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 1:25:43 AM EDT
blast match
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:49:58 AM EDT
Ok, after reading this thread, I had to go out and buy a couple of these and try them out. I bought a Strike Force and a Blastmatch. I went out in my yard today and quicky and easily started several fires. That is with fairly damp conditions and with a pretty stiff wind blowing. I had no idea that these things worked so well. After playing with these, I would guess that any of them would work pretty well. Of the two I have, I would recomend the Strike Force. It is sturdier and less expensive. I think that I will try some of the even cheaper ones to see if they work as well.

Oh, I also dug out my old flint and steel kit from my Boy Scout days (circa 1972ish) and played with it a little. I am just as amazed now as I was then that I EVER got a fire started with it. If I remember correctly, it took several hours, a lot cussin, and even more luck. I guess that is why I had never tried one of these. They are definitly worth the money.

Orange BlastMatch and black StrikeForce.

Boy Scout flint and steel kit.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:01:28 AM EDT
I use this one from the same page.  It's "easy".  Use your knife to shave off pieces of
the magnesium and strike the striker part with the back of your blade.  I usually
use an older knife and strike with the cutting edge because it sparks better but can
mess up your edge.

Takes a little practice.  I'm sure the "matches" work great too.  Just never used one.

The only difference with using your normal knife blade is that the magnesium can
mark (burn) it.  It polishes off though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:11:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mjguillory:
I use this one from the same page.  It's "easy".  Use your knife to shave off pieces of
the magnesium and strike the striker part with the back of your blade.  I usually
use an older knife and strike with the cutting edge because it sparks better but can
mess up your edge.

Takes a little practice.  I'm sure the "matches" work great too.  Just never used one.

The only difference with using your normal knife blade is that the magnesium can
mark (burn) it.  It polishes off though.

cut an old hack saw blade in 1/3 's.  keep together by slipping the chain into the hole used to mount the saw and leave your sharp knife sharp.  see the photo posted above.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2008 12:16:33 PM EDT by joedapro]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
Ok, after reading this thread, I had to go out and buy a couple of these and try them out. I bought a Strike Force and a Blastmatch. I went out in my yard today and quicky and easily started several fires. That is with fairly damp conditions and with a pretty stiff wind blowing. I had no idea that these things worked so well. After playing with these, I would guess that any of them would work pretty well. Of the two I have, I would recomend the Strike Force. It is sturdier and less expensive. I think that I will try some of the even cheaper ones to see if they work as well.

Oh, I also dug out my old flint and steel kit from my Boy Scout days (circa 1972ish) and played with it a little. I am just as amazed now as I was then that I EVER got a fire started with it. If I remember correctly, it took several hours, a lot cussin, and even more luck. I guess that is why I had never tried one of these. They are definitly worth the money.

Orange BlastMatch and black StrikeForce.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/jmadonia/Blastmatche.jpg

Boy Scout flint and steel kit.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/jmadonia/Flintandsteelkite.jpg

remember the blast match will light a fire using only one hand, something to consider if you are injured.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 8:08:58 AM EDT by Scorch05]
I'd go with a Swedish fire steel. Compact and light weight.

I'm pretty redundant when it comes to fire starting methods. I carry a zippo, swedish firesteel, waterproof matches, cottonballs soaked in petroleum jelly, and a flint and steel kit.

Normally i use the flint and steel just because it's fun and I'm in no rush if it takes awhile to get a fire started. After I practiced I can normally get a fire going in less than 5 minutes. Starting a fire with flint and steel just takes a little more forethought and preparation.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:51:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By joedapro:
Originally Posted By mjguillory:
I use ...

cut an old hack saw blade in 1/3 's.  keep together by slipping the chain into the hole used to mount the saw and leave your sharp knife sharp.  see the photo posted above.

That is a good idea.  I'ma do it!

Top Top